Free 512 MB PC2700 stick 200pin DDR SODIMM from BestBuy(NO REBATE)

SpangeMonkee said:
too bad my laptop takes PC2100.

As long as your laptop takes standard SODIMM packaging you'll be fine. The PCxx00 rating is merely a different term for the standard MHz rating of the memory. PC2700 is the same as saying DDR333, which is rated for 333MHz DDR which is a 166MHz FSB.

If you put a piece of PC2700 memory into a machine that "requires" PC2100 it will simply run at a lower speed (and usually better timings) than it was intended for. For instance a PC2700 CAS2.5 stick may run at CAS2 when put into a native PC2100 environment. All depends on how the SPD is programmed.

Orinthical said:
As long as your laptop takes standard SODIMM packaging you'll be fine. The PCxx00 rating is merely a different term for the standard MHz rating of the memory. PC2700 is the same as saying DDR333, which is rated for 333MHz DDR which is a 166MHz FSB.

If you put a piece of PC2700 memory into a machine that "requires" PC2100 it will simply run at a lower speed (and usually better timings) than it was intended for. For instance a PC2700 CAS2.5 stick may run at CAS2 when put into a native PC2100 environment. All depends on how the SPD is programmed.

hmm.. I might just have to get "more". I have the max that can go in here, but I wouldn't mind havin' some extra for sale. :)

You DO need to be careful, though. Some laptops, namely the Emachines M6805, will only take PC2700, and not 3200. Why? I don't know. It is just something to be aware of, so do some research :).

Went down to the one in hurst, grabbed a couple k-byte 512mb sodimms that were priced $59.99. One of the guys in the comp department rang me up at their single register, crumpled my coupon, and tried to charge me $120 for both sticks installed. He told me I was getting a better deal this way instead of using the coupon and never entered / scanned the thing. He explained that the coupon took $90 dollars off the regular price and not the sale price.

I then asked him for a stick with a the lowest regular price, he told me all ram was had the same regular price of $120. After asking him to show me the regular price of the ram I selected, he fumbled with the computer and shortly another employee told him the servers were down and he couldnt check.

Then to the backpacks, he said that the listed prices were the regular price of all the backpacks and I could use the coupon, but they didnt have any for $20 bucks. So I left empty handed, I might try the arlington store next week but things arent looking good.

Figured I would post here and in the other backpack thread, btw the store I went too didnt have kingston @ that price.

It worked for me. I didn't even have to pay tax.

The memory is backward compatible to PC2100 as well.

Tried it at one of my local best buys and they turned me away saying it was only with buyign a computer

Well, here's my story:

I took the coupon the first time and got a Init Yellow Laptop bag for free. The cashier gave me a bit of issue and looked everything over real good, I explained that I got the coupon in my email and she said OK and I walked away with the bag for nothing.

Then as more of a personal strike I decided to try the memory discount of $90.00. Basically here's the reason for the anger. Best Buy was advertising the Toshiba A85-S107 Laptop for $449 after MIR, so I went into the store first thing Sunday morning as that was the start of the sale. The woman explained that they were out of them already (3 hours after they opened for their BIG "Back-To-School" sale) and was doing her best to explain how it was junk and that I needed the next model up. Bait and Switch. I explained that I knew more about PC's/Laptops than she could ever dream of and not to try to lie to me any further (as most of her statements were false or so inflated it was crazy). I asked to speak to a manager. The manager said it was not bait and switch and that the salesperson was just looking out for my "best interest" - yeah, right. She said they had 8 laptops and they all sold immediately and one to an employee. I asked to get one from another store and she declined saying I'd have to drive their and hope they didn't sell out in the meantime, refusing to hold one. I was fed up and left, saying screw the laptop.

Then the next week the same ad was front and center again in the Best Buy ad, I called and was told they never got restocked and wouldn't be until AFTER the rebate ended. What B.S. Then I saw CompUSA had the same deal but it came to $499 so I called, they had many and held one, I drove out and bought one. But the memory is abysmal on the A85, 256MB seemed to be small especially with 32MB going to video but I thought it would be manageable. Boot it up and it has 19MB free after all the bloatware gets done loading. How WinXP and 32MB shared == 256MB I'll never know, but they've managed.

So back to the memory deal, I took my new laptop to bestbuy explained that I got the coupon online and wanted the memory/installation. The "Geek Squad" flunky was all set to hook me up but the coupon was only taking the money off of the memory, not the install. So it was ringing up $31 and change (Which I was willing to pay). Then his Geek Squad commander said it was an "obvious photocopy" and was going to take it to the manager. I asked him if "Laser Printer" rung any bells and that not everyone uses and inkjet to print online coupons, and the coupon itself didn't even say anything about photocopies. The manager came over and wasn't too concerned, she did ask if I bought the laptop there so I simply said Yes. She took the total amount off pre-tax so I walked away scott-free for my 512MB stick.

It took some wrangling, and I was on my lunch break so I had shirt and tie on which lended me some credibility I'm sure, but overall it wasn't too hard to get 512MB for free. I still hate Best Buy with a passion, but any chance I get to screw them over is OK in my book.

im going to attempt it today with my new dell 600m, i ordered from dell with only 256mb....because their mem upgrades are outrageous

I just have three words for any one who find this deal on the internet "I LOVE YOU"

Yesterday i started my evening after work for the HUNT, i got 2 sticks from one best buy they made me go back home and get the laptop, keep in mind there is a 2 stick limit per customer so you are good for 2 sticks if you have 2 coupons.
Then i went back to the other bestbuy who refused to give me the memory over the weekend, but this time i took the Case# OP gave it to us. So the same manager gave me the memory, but i thought by monday they realized it is a real coupon not a fake.
So i ended up with 3 sticks all togather, and please some body tell me how to get a free laptop bag because i could not find any $20 laptop bag in BESTBUY.

Just got back from a Best Buy in Greenfield, WI...took a bit of manager-talking, but I got my stick for free as well. :)

My friend went to a BestBuy in Manhattan and they wouldn't honor the coupon, he pulled up the coupon online and they said it was a mirrored site, they called HQ, etc. I was planning on getting my sticks from the same store so I decided to call HQ tonight before I go tomorrow. The guy I got on the phone says that the coupon is fraudulent and that the wording has been changed. I told him that I got it in an e-mail from BestBuy and asked why it works if its fraudulent. He proceeded to stutter for a couple minutes and just kept saying that it was fraudulent. I could see this was going nowhere so I said goodbye and hung up. Looks like no free memory for me :(

Just went into my local best buy, took my coupon and a laptop. Came out with a new 512 stick of kbyte ram installed in my laptop. No charge, not even taxes. I am happy :D
Too bad i do not have a laptop and it was my sisters laptop, but at least i am helping her out. :)

bruenor said:
Best Buy was advertising the Toshiba A85-S107 Laptop for $449 after MIR, so I went into the store first thing Sunday morning as that was the start of the sale. The woman explained that they were out of them already (3 hours after they opened for their BIG "Back-To-School" sale) and was doing her best to explain how it was junk and that I needed the next model up. Bait and Switch. I explained that I knew more about PC's/Laptops than she could ever dream of and not to try to lie to me any further (as most of her statements were false or so inflated it was crazy). I asked to speak to a manager. The manager said it was not bait and switch and that the salesperson was just looking out for my "best interest" - yeah, right. She said they had 8 laptops and they all sold immediately and one to an employee. I asked to get one from another store and she declined saying I'd have to drive their and hope they didn't sell out in the meantime, refusing to hold one. I was fed up and left, saying screw the laptop.

When these cheap laptop sales are available at best buy people line up hours before the store opens to get the laptops...

My third run was successfull of all, now my total collection is

Memory sticks = 10

Laptop Bag = 2

My third and fourth run will be on friday night and over the weekend :D

MeXPuNk3r said:
When these cheap laptop sales are available at best buy people line up hours before the store opens to get the laptops...

Yes but for a large store (and one of the only ones in my area of PA) to only get 8, allow one to be sold to an employee, and then purposely NOT restock until AFTER the rebate expires (which came directly from the managers mouth) and then run the ad for two consecutive weeks with no substitute and having sold out in the first hour of day 1... I think is a bit excessive.

Plus if I were not an IT person, and just a regular schmuck, the bait and switch tactics they tried on me were shameful at best. I let the salesperson talk, just to see where it would lead, and the outright lies and false claims were so thick I needed chest waders to get through them.

She told me claims that the celeron processor was "basically useless for anything but notepad, because it had less "flops" than even windows XP required" That Toshiba fans were of poor quality and that it would "burn up in two weeks." That this particular Toshiba's LCD panel was made from the discarded panels and "cut down to size" "that's why the size is 15.4" instead of a normal number." I was told so much B.S. I could go on for days, and had some good laughs with the guys at work about the wild claims... but the sad thing is how many people they manage to scare into $1000+ laptops through these same tactics. I worked retail in my college days, I understand the game quite well, but in no way did I ever have to lie to sell what I wanted to sell. I also managed to be one of the top salespeople in my district consistently, so shipping such limited stock for a two week sale is not excusable in my book.

annaconda said:

Memory sticks = 10

Laptop Bag = 2

wow, talk about sticking it to the man
i now realize when i went that i should have gotten 2 sticks instead of just 1
coulda told them the single stick in my laptop was a 256
oh well

annaconda said:

Memory sticks = 10

Laptop Bag = 2

Hmm, I definetly need to give things another shot if some people are able to get these many goodies. Are you getting the memory for free or $30?

I would be happy to get a couple sticks at $30, but it would be so nice to get them for free...

Can you explain your strategy to avoid them BS'ing and saying no? :)

My wife got a much-needed 512m upgrade Monday night with no hassles. This was at the Albany/Colonie NY store.

I showed this to my girlfriend since she has a Dell Inspiron 1150 and Dell only packs 128 MB of RAM into those things. She went to two different BestBuy stores to try to do it. The first one didn't even have any of the memory so she went to the next one.

At that BestBuy she was not only given a million excuses, run arounds, etc. She was summarily told, by the store manager even: "You know you're kind of stupid to believe you'd get something for nothing."

:mad:

Now I used to love BestBuy ten years ago. Over the years, I've become disillusioned and disliking of their prices, etc. She still liked them a lot until this happened. In an amazing feat of self-restraint (seeing as how she has a history of tearing into insolent waiters, managers, etc. of places who provide bad customer service) she simply said she'd go call the 800 number for customer service. At this time, the manager took a second pot shot and sarcastically told her what it was.

She called customer service and essentially got the same treatment but a tad bit more professional. They didn't directly call her stupid but hid behind saying they issued a retraction for that coupon already and a lame comment of: "I can't micro-manage the store." Attempting to register a complaint against the manager for insulting her probably got filed as a stupid note in the CSR's call log and will never go anywhere.

Both the store manager and the CSR were informed by her that we'd never be shopping at BestBuy again. This, to me, just means I never have to deal with her trying to get me to go there while I make up an excuse as to why I can't. To BestBuy it probably means nothing but it makes her feel better, somewhat, after the crappy treatment she received.

So, for those of you that get this to work, great job.

For those of you who can't, we feel your pain but hopefully you get treated better than she did.

:(

I went to best buy yesterday and was told that memory is not on sale any longer, plus they had a copy of the coupon posted with a big label MISPRINT, only useable with new pc/laptop purchase... I hate BB.

DarkenReaper57 said:
Hmm, I definetly need to give things another shot if some people are able to get these many goodies. Are you getting the memory for free or $30?

I would be happy to get a couple sticks at $30, but it would be so nice to get them for free...

Can you explain your strategy to avoid them BS'ing and saying no? :)

No it is totally free all of them, try different stores and make sure there is a limit of 2 so you can actually have 2 sticks from one store.

And don;t forget to take any laptop, you have just to make sure if they say they want to see your laptop for installationa and when they ring every thing and ask you to install memory, you can say that you can install by your self. But just incase before you take your laptop make sure you take all the memories out, so if they install there will be no compatibility issue or any other issue.

I had problem with only one store, but next day i went to the same store and same manager and he was frustrated he gave me one any way :D

So don;t loose heart and keep trying on different stores, i will do my fourth run on friday night, and hurry because best buy is going to hide these memories really soon.

AskRodman said:
I went to best buy yesterday and was told that memory is not on sale any longer, plus they had a copy of the coupon posted with a big label MISPRINT, only useable with new pc/laptop purchase... I hate BB.

Knowing that it wasn't a garaunteed thing and that it was semi-shady, I'd expect something like this to be use to resolve and stop the situation. I'd even expect plain out refusal to honor a coupon. My girlfriend does too. However, calling a customer stupid is a bit more than unexpected.

Why can't more store managers who want to try to save their store some lost revenue at least be this smart? It's not that hard to copy the coupon that is presented to them and make such a sign. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to run a photocopier. Hmm... maybe someone else isn't as smart as he's pretending to be.

I'd say BestBuy is the Devil... but I don't want to insult Lusipher. I don't need to be on his bad side. :D

has anyone taken in their RAID controller and got that 'RAM' upgrade.. I think that would be funny as heck.
Unfortunately, mine is a SDR-model :(

AskRodman said:

I hit up four stores in the last two days and only one wouldn't sell them to me, same thing as you. The other three however were just fine and dandy, also got some 256 after the 512's ran out.

So, after being annoyed at the store manager and what he did to my GF, I emailed customer service. They basically said that guy was yanking her chain and that the misprint is being honored. Also, here's a $100 gift card we'll mail you for your trouble.

So, my GF went back there, showed them the response from customer service and got her 512 MB SODIMM.

Now she has the memory now and, assuming all goes well with the mailed gift card, a $100 on top of that for some other random junk. Haha!

:D

ion_the_jester said:
So, after being annoyed at the store manager and what he did to my GF, I emailed customer service. They basically said that guy was yanking her chain and that the misprint is being honored. Also, here's a $100 gift card we'll mail you for your trouble.

So, my GF went back there, showed them the response from customer service and got her 512 MB SODIMM.

Now she has the memory now and, assuming all goes well with the mailed gift card, a $100 on top of that for some other random junk. Haha!

:D

Good for you! That coupon was legit and it was even emailed directly to me... with no PC purchase. It makes me mad when companies make a mistake and then try to place the blame on a consumer who is playing by the rules. When things go the other way they are never quick to make things right. I worked retail (radioshack) in college and actually hated some of the downright lies and B.S. they tried to force us to do. It is actually criminal in some cases. Hey, someone messed up and created a coupon that had no terms or conditions... it's their fault, not ours. For once the consumer wins.

well i made a trip to the closest bestbuy in my home town which is located in Bowling Green, Kentucky (i actually live in louisville right now, visiting the folks for labor day). So any rate i go into the store with laptop in hand walk right up to a geek squad chick (didnt even know there WERE chick geeks) and she promptly got me my ram. She starts to install it and im like hey could you do me the biggest favor? would you mind installing it in the slot under the keyboard. Shes like im sorry but we're not allowed to. Wtf? Your a supposed GEEK and they wont let you install ram in the primary slot? What if i were to buy two sticks of 512, would you be able to install it then? No sir, we are not allowed. Either that or she didnt know how, silly girls...

So i get home with it still installed in the bottom slot and promptly move it to the main slot to make way for a second stick of 512 (laptop came with 256, its a dell 700m, screw them and their 100 dollar upgrade to 512mb, and they use really cheap knockoff ram to boot, ram from BB is kingston). Ok so now i have 512mb of ram on my system and the first thing im gonna do when i get back to louisville tomorrow is hit up BB up there and see if i can turn this 512mb into 1gb...for FREE.

Priceless...

I tried today, but the BB was out of stock of the 512 MB PC2700 kingston SO-DIMMs that were on sale :(. I asked a sales associate, and he said he didn't think they even got them in, and to check back on tuesday or so.

Bah, hopefully I can at least get a single stick of 512 MB free. I tried once but was denied...

they accused me of trying to use a fradualent coupon and that what i was doing was illegal. then they claimed that someone hacked best buy's website and uploaded it. good grief.

got me two 256 meg sticks of pc3200 ddr ram for free today......i love hardocp !!!!!
thanks for the heads up

Back