Freakishly Lame Microsoft Recruiting Letter of the Day

BADICAL!
latest

There is another person!!!!! :) 36 here. Maybe it is the 40 mark that cuts off those who can and can't understand that. That said, true nobody actually talks like that.

Everyone understood it just fine. Nobody wants to admit it though. (or maybe my garbage translator just works a little too well... :D ) I agree completely that nobody actually talks that way though. (at least nobody that I've come across)

Actually, what really amazes me is that I was on my usual voice chat last night and a 20-something in our group... very bright guy... pretty much talks and thinks like this and would consider a party invitation of that sort to be a good thing.

And yes, that includes "getting lit" on the company dime to be a real perk!

Yeah, this doesn't make a damn bit of sense to any of us who are 30s or 40s and believe in standards of behavior on the job by employees or by employers.

I think the world has indeed gone bat____ crazy.

Yes it means food..... After reading some of the comments here and people being confused I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing that as a person in my mid 30s that I still interact with enough people of younger generations to understand the terms.

Think that is a type-o for Bay. You are looking at a letter that was supposedly sent to people in San Francisco after all. "Hey babe interns" doesn't make as much sense as "Hey Bay Interns"
Totally agree. Yeah, I'm 33 and understand all of that very easily and was a bit shocked so many people didn't pick up on this. We all know the "nom nom nom" meme so DUH, c'mon. Anyway, I don't think "bae" was a typo, it looks like it is intentional but as you said, it's meaning is "bay" in this instance. They were trying to be ultra-hip somehow by making it a play on words but failed miserably and just look even more stupid. Now, getting "lit" means something completely different to me...unless MS really is promoting illegal drug use here, which...how stupid can they be?

Just read the article, and they claim "bae" is a term of endearment. Uh no, isn't it just short for "babe" or "baby"? They also claim "getting lit" means "partying". I'd also disagree. I think it is more widely accepted as hittin' the chronic lol.

I see bullschizzle. No one speaks like that. If they were working for MS, they aint now.

To me, getting "lit" ain't "noms" or beers or pong.........ya follow?

The recent Tay chatbot comes to mind...

There is another person!!!!! :) 36 here. Maybe it is the 40 mark that cuts off those who can and can't understand that. That said, true nobody actually talks like that.

50 here. I got the nom only because I've heard it from a thirty something guy. To me that letter was just lame

Think that is a type-o for Bay. You are looking at a letter that was supposedly sent to people in San Francisco after all. "Hey babe interns" doesn't make as much sense as "Hey Bay Interns"

No, it was meant to be bae.

48 here and have no clue as to what they were talking about. That word has definitely not been said in any circle that I've been in. I would have fired the person who created the letter.
I'm from the Midwest so maybe this is just some weird California thing.
39 and also understood it.

How the fuck does anyone under 50 not know what "noms" are in 2016?

48 here and have no clue as to what they were talking about. That word has definitely not been said in any circle that I've been in. I would have fired the person who created the letter.
I'm from the Midwest so maybe this is just some weird California thing.
No, it's a weird internet young people thing. Think the 12-24 age group. Young people more interested in being hip, doing 'naughty' things their parents don't want them to do all while bragging about it on Facebook. If you don't hang around people that age group, you likely won't 'get' it. And, let's be honest, who wants to hang around with a bunch of self-absorbed, loud, teenagers and college students?

Totally agree. Yeah, I'm 33 and understand all of that very easily and was a bit shocked so many people didn't pick up on this. We all know the "nom nom nom" meme so DUH, c'mon. Anyway, I don't think "bae" was a typo, it looks like it is intentional but as you said, it's meaning is "bay" in this instance. They were trying to be ultra-hip somehow by making it a play on words but failed miserably and just look even more stupid. Now, getting "lit" means something completely different to me...unless MS really is promoting illegal drug use here, which...how stupid can they be?

Just read the article, and they claim "bae" is a term of endearment. Uh no, isn't it just short for "babe" or "baby"? They also claim "getting lit" means "partying". I'd also disagree. I think it is more widely accepted as hittin' the chronic lol.

yeah, bae is babe or baby. Getting lit actually does refer to being intoxicated on anything so drunk, high, tripping... So in this context getting lit would / could just meaning getting drunk.

as for this article, I will have to look to see what you are talking about as all I seen today was this twitter post.

I'm the same age and you and didn't know it.

Why my monocle became dislodged and my top hat just popped off my head when I read that. What an uncouth use of the King's English.

From MS guy::

The email was poorly worded and not in keeping with our values as a company. We are looking into how this occurred and will take appropriate steps to address it.

44 here. Understood what they said, saddened that there seems to be people who talk / think like this. Oh well, just getting to be an old fart I guess. I can sort of see why they sent this, as I remember being pretty stupid at this age (in hindsight). Did some really stupid things at that age while in Hawaii in the military in the early 90s.

Anyway, I don't think "bae" was a typo, it looks like it is intentional but as you said, it's meaning is "bay" in this instance.
When they typed "Hello BAE intern" they were not referring to BAE as some slang for "bay" as in San Fransisco Bay area or any of the other retarded slang terms out there. They were referring to the company BAE Systems International (aka British Aerospace Systems) which coincidentally has offices in the San Francisco Bay area.

When they typed "Hello BAE intern" they were not referring to BAE as some slang for "bay" as in San Fransisco Bay area or any of the other retarded slang terms out there. They were referring to the company BAE Systems International (aka British Aerospace Systems) which coincidentally has offices in the San Francisco Bay area.
Translation was needed for some of the more senior (in age rather than tenure) members of the Ars Staff: "bae" is a term of endearment equivalent in meaning to "babe," "hella noms" means "lots of food," and "getting lit" means "getting drunk or high."

The best, by which I mean worst, part of the e-mail is that it gets the lingo wrong. "Drank" does not mean "drink." "Drank" means "cough syrup;" specifically, cough syrup containing codeine and promethazine that is consumed recreationally. Opioids like codeine are routinely abused to get high, and, when combined with the antihistamine promethazine, can produce feelings of euphoria.

It is unlikely that Microsoft will be offering drank at its party.

While there was initial suspicion that the e-mail was fake—Microsoft's headquarters is in Redmond, not Seattle—it appears to be authentic. A company representative told us:

The email was poorly worded and not in keeping with our values as a company. We are looking into how this occurred and will take appropriate steps to address it.

For all our sakes, let us hope that there is never a repeat of this.

46 here, understood it all. But if I were to talk like that I would hope that somebody would shoot me in the face with a 12-gauge. That kind of crap, as somebody pointed out, is very kardashian.

Actually, what really amazes me is that I was on my usual voice chat last night and a 20-something in our group... very bright guy... pretty much talks and thinks like this and would consider a party invitation of that sort to be a good thing.

Guess I'm too old.
An invitation like that would cause me to look elsewhere for a job.

Translation was needed for some of the more senior (in age rather than tenure) members of the Ars Staff: "bae" is a term of endearment equivalent in meaning to "babe," ...
Maybe I did read it wrong.

I got the rest. When I saw "BAE" in all caps followed by the word "intern", I assumed that meant an intern employed with BAE systems which MS likely has close relations with.

How do I say this...This is too retarded to be fake, I'm afraid.

What the hell is/are hella noms? I'm not up on hipster lingo.

This is my understanding of noms:

via my two year old who plays this over and over and over. He thinks it's hilarious when he jumps into the ipad to avoid the cat. I hope someone else watches this shit and it gets stuck in their head!

If I offend anyone, that's fine. I'm tired of the continued mind-melting of the USA, and the world, as we export our bullshit to every country that we can. Jabber-speak on smart phones keeps kids from learning to spell, and it keeps them from just turning their head to the left or the right and saying hello.

Hip-hop still glorifies thug life. Treating women like shit, dealing drugs, killing, being shot, etc. Badges of honor, know what I'm saying?

Most great powers only last between three to five hundred years.

We're on the down slope.

Reminds of the one time I called up Microsoft support for Xbox and the bot voice used the same kind of condescending language meant for 12 year olds.
Same experience here. This is exactly how they talk ... like some kind of overly peppy enthusiastic college bro that just snorted a line of coke. I could barely stand being on the line with the bot.

I have no doubt this is real.

Translation was needed for some of the more senior (in age rather than tenure) members of the Ars Staff: "bae" is a term of endearment equivalent in meaning to "babe"
Yes, and probably the most annoying word I've heard in quite some time. It's like the word "babe" just takes far too long to say.

If I offend anyone, that's fine. I'm tired of the continued mind-melting of the USA, and the world, as we export our bullshit to every country that we can. Jabber-speak on smart phones keeps kids from learning to spell, and it keeps them from just turning their head to the left or the right and saying hello.

Hip-hop still glorifies thug life. Treating women like shit, dealing drugs, killing, being shot, etc. Badges of honor, know what I'm saying?

Most great powers only last between three to five hundred years.

We're on the down slope.
I blame Johnny Cash with his songs like Folsom Prison Blues or Delia Gone (violence and crime with a female Victim) and John Lennon who clearly promoted violence against women with songs like Run for your Life.

Rappers are just carrying on the tradition of these horrible men. But I guess we can lay the glorification of drugs on rappers, because none of those classic rock musicians that everyone loves ever did anything like that. #sarcasm

I'm 33 and don't understand a single word of that garbage.

Yes it means food..... After reading some of the comments here and people being confused I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing that as a person in my mid 30s that I still interact with enough people of younger generations to understand the terms.

It's not so much that, it's the fact that it started with our generation (I'm also in my mid 30s). I'm surprised they didn't try to stick the word "glomps" in there somewhere. Although, I have no idea what Yammer means. Is that some type of word or a brand of beer pong table?

I didn't even think about race, but I could see them being Jewish

I blame Johnny Cash with his songs like Folsom Prison Blues or Delia Gone (violence and crime with a female Victim) and John Lennon who clearly promoted violence against women with songs like Run for your Life.

Rappers are just carrying on the tradition of these horrible men. But I guess we can lay the glorification of drugs on rappers, because none of those classic rock musicians that everyone loves ever did anything like that. #sarcasm

But they did coke, prescription dugs and heroin, real classy drugs unlike those rappers.

I can't believe no one posted this yet. This is all I can think of when reading that:

VAeA885.jpg

Back