Fraud Alert: Newegg sold me a laptop w/ 48GB SSD, but it states 256GB SSD on the receipt

Anyone dumb enough to still use NEWEGG...deserves what they get. Gamers Nexus exposed them a year or two back for being what they are.

Anyone dumb enough to still use NEWEGG...deserves what they get. Gamers Nexus exposed them a year or two back for being what they are.
don't be so hard on the guy. After all, the OP ordered 3 years ago. /s

WBIV.gif

Honestly, I would think the statute of limitations would be expired already for theft.

Put it this way, any intelligent police officer would tell you it's a civil issue between you and NE/Lenovo. Theft involves criminal intent to defraud. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Update:
I contact Lenovo, they confirmed to me based on the serial no. that the laptop was NOT new. That newegg sold me a refurbish PC. But I paid new price of $1337 and assume it's a new PC. The fact that it's a refurbished PC, it would explain why the drive was not formatted, as most likely the hard drive was defective and some employee at newegg replaced the drive to a SSD and forgot to format it.

Update:
I contact Lenovo, they confirmed to me based on the serial no. that the laptop was NOT new. That newegg sold me a refurbish PC. But I paid new price of $1337 and assume it's a new PC. The fact that it's a refurbished PC, it would explain why the drive was not formatted, as most likely the hard drive was defective and some employee at newegg replaced the drive to a SSD and forgot to format it.
Lol you didn't even check before buying on the product page if it was a refurb? Manufacturers refurb them by the way, not Newegg. Also, are you trolling with the price of $1337?! Four years later...

Lol you didn't even check before buying on the product page if it was a refurb? Manufacturers refurb them by the way, not Newegg. Also, are you trolling with the price of $1337?! Four years later...
Newegg advertise the item is brand new. The laptop is used by someone at the office, and on rare occasion, myself. I paid $1337, under the impression it's brand new. As found out the other week, it's just a refurbish PC, so no matter how you look at it, it's just fraud, plain and simple.

it's no difference than anything else, you paid $ for a new car, and thru some problem of the car a few yr. later, you discover the car was never new, it's used. As consumer, I have no legal obligation to check these things, it's the co. who profit from this that should not have sell an used PC and called it a new PC. For a refurbish that laptop should only be $650

im still waiting to hear what they had to say.
yea I would love to have seen that interaction. Im pretty convinced this is all just made up to get attention and pity from strangers, but ya never know there are some people that really do surprise me and lower the bar lol.

Would be funnier if the cop was a techie and then told him "that is the pre-partitioned and formatted size advertised"

Last edited:
Newegg advertise the item is brand new. The laptop is used by someone at the office, and on rare occasion, myself. I paid $1337, under the impression it's brand new. As found out the other week, it's just a refurbish PC, so no matter how you look at it, it's just fraud, plain and simple.

it's no difference than anything else, you paid $ for a new car, and thru some problem of the car a few yr. later, you discover the car was never new, it's used. As consumer, I have no legal obligation to check these things, it's the co. who profit from this that should not have sell an used PC and called it a new PC. For a refurbish that laptop should only be $650
If you don't notice your car is used til years down the road you are a special type of people.

I can't send it back. This was purchased back in 2019. I can only file a police report. The laptop was rarely used. The fraud was discovered when windows 10 says low on disk space the other day.

I'll check the drive later. But these laptop were built on the robot assembly line. There is no way Lenovo would suddenly has 1 laptop mysteriously set to a 42GB and left the rest of the SSD un-partition and all the other millions of laptops on the assembly line done properly.
So you bought a laptop and just started using it, not once going into My Computer and seeing the drive size there...in the last 4 years since owning it... wow...

Ya, Police report wont do a dam thing.. too funny....

It got damaged so bad that you can not close the case if you opened it...

im still waiting to hear what they had to say.
Depends on the locality... My wife filed a police report in Oakland, CA cause someone used her identity to rent a fancy apartment and tried to open some credit cards, and there was zero follow up. Even our local PD couldn't get Oakland PD to return a call. Chances are good that's what will happen with this report too.

OP, you want "fairness", contact Newegg. Ask for a 208 GB SSD as compensation, go to the press, whatever.
Would you be okay getting your teeth kicked in by a mugger because a policeman was busy following up on a 4-year-old receipt?

My guess, its a much larger SSD just setup badly, as already mentioned.
Reason we need to guess is because OP wont even help himself by checking its actual size! Yet is prepared to report a theft/scam to police, with zero evidence they can use lol.
Almost every thread I read of his makes me cringe, I expect it. No disappointment here lol.

i'm going to bet what he did is attempted to clone a drive to a larger drive, didn't bother to read that it creates an exact size partition no matter how large the drive is that it's being cloned too. can't admit he fk'd up and has to find the easiest target to blame because obviously the user can never be wrong. either way i got my laugh so time to block him so this thread disapears for me, lol.

Remember, everyone... Happy Hopping is like the "IT" person for some company out there, too. They regularly come on here and ask for elementary level help. I feel really bad for whatever company they work for... whatever the pay is, it's far, far too much.

Did the FBI raid the Newegg offices yet and put an end to this outrageous criminal enterprise? At the very least, arrest this SSD-swapping evil genius in the warehouse?

OP sounds like the sort of guy that would drive his car away from a tire shop on bare rims with sparks flying, and when the wheels get destroyed a few miles down the road, immediately start complaining, "It's not my job to check if my car has tires!" He orders mouthwash from Amazon and gets a bottle of hydrochloric acid: gargles with it anyway. "It's not my job to read the label on the bottle!"

Back