Frank's 2011 Upgrade

Can I have them?

Nope - my uncle bought them - they are gone. Now to get the RAD I need for Frank...........How's Victor coming along? Been in and out of reality since the surgery thing, so sorry I have not had time to reply.

Nope - my uncle bought them - they are gone. Now to get the RAD I need for Frank...........How's Victor coming along? Been in and out of reality since the surgery thing, so sorry I have not had time to reply.

Oh sounds good uncle cav frank really needs it lol. Victor just got the rest of his liquid cooling parts and im hoping to order the psu on monday and build him next week. Omg liquid cooling is just expensive im glad i wont have to buy more parts for awhile god. I will post a pic on here of franks lil bro wheni build him and since i have some of franks old parts.

How was your surgery?

Surgery went well, took a couple days to get around fully back to 100% mental capacity where I could post and start building again, we will see if I have time this weekend. I have a major event @ work happening Monday then Tue-Thur I will be out of town, so things may be on hold again for another week. We will just see howe the weekend progresses.

Surgery went well, took a couple days to get around fully back to 100% mental capacity where I could post and start building again, we will see if I have time this weekend. I have a major event @ work happening Monday then Tue-Thur I will be out of town, so things may be on hold again for another week. We will just see howe the weekend progresses.

well thats good it went well.ugh Vampi will never get built

Agreed

We will prolly get a 2012 franks upgrade that is talking bout the "Vampi lie" :) lol

Like all good Vampire stories, Vampi remains a mystery - is she real or not............hmmmmmm, time will tell.....................

EDIT: Nevermind to my question!

But, I will say, Frank has inspired me to start building a new rig in an 800D and trying my hands at modding for the first time. Great Job, man.

Last edited:
Some of the people on your fan club sure are impatient!!! Once Frank is perfected, Vampi will be worked on, patience people, patience!

Some of the people on your fan club sure are impatient!!! Once Frank is perfected, Vampi will be worked on, patience people, patience!

Whos impatient? It couldnt be me or wrath or most of the people on here? hell iv blew up his skype today asking bout vampi but no he is working uncle buthead over there lol :)

Vampi real or not doesn't matter to me. I cant wait to get home and begin my build. Frank is an inspiration to make the best of my machine(s). I may not water cool, but wire management, organization, etc, those all make or break a machines appearance. And this thread shows it doesn't happen overnight. Patience is needed!!

Ok, I'll be patient..................dum di dum............lalalala.......hey is that a speck on my left monitor?...............I feel like having pizza.............no, maybe buffalo wings................
angry_face_600.jpg

GAH!!!!! make with the Vampi, damn it!! We're burning daylight!!! How long does it take to put a rig together!!!!!!!:D

Last edited:
Ok, I'll be patient..................dum di dum............lalalala.......hey is that a speck on my left monitor?...............I feel like having pizza.............no, maybe buffalo wings................
scream.jpg

GAH!!!!! make with the Vampi, damn it!! We're burning daylight!!! How long does it take to put a rig together!!!!!!!:D

+1 :)

not to hijack this thread or anything,as i feel like this thread has been home to me,but how do i +rep someone?

Damn it, I was hoping for some Vampi updates today! Oh well, I suppose I can't wait. Good things come to those who do haha.

I have a question for y'all - Im thinking of getting a new mobo, probably the asus rampage iii or something, but im not sure if I want a 1366 board or a 1155 board. What would you suggest? Im not much of a overclocker which the 1155 chipsets are kidna designed for, but i've heard the 1366 chipsets firstly cost a bomb for the better ones, and also take up a lot of power and all of that. What would you suggest?

Any board suggestions would be good too, looking through a lot of the ASUS boards they support only upto 1600mhz RAM unless you want to overclock it, and im not big on OC.

In any case, MOAR VAMPI.

Last edited:
I wouldn't steal this thread it's for frank you can start a thread in the general discussion but the 1155would be the better buy newer technology better performance. Altho I just got the rampage board and it's sexy with the waterblock.

Although I can't say that much cuz I have gone off topic tons lol but uncle cav is ok with it lol Jk

I wouldn't steal this thread it's for frank you can start a thread in the general discussion but the 1155would be the better buy newer technology better performance. Altho I just got the rampage board and it's sexy with the waterblock.

Although I can't say that much cuz I have gone off topic tons lol but uncle cav is ok with it lol Jk

No one is stealing any thread incase you havn't noticed I post on here frequently, the Frank thread is the only one I tend to follow, I was just asking a question as you all seem to be so helpfull rather than sarcastic. But thanks for the awnser none the less.

No one is stealing any thread incase you havn't noticed I post on here frequently, the Frank thread is the only one I tend to follow, I was just asking a question as you all seem to be so helpfull rather than sarcastic. But thanks for the awnser none the less.

Oh I am sorry then um ok i will give you my full answer then to your questions (we got time to kill god knows it will be another week before cav gets on here to update the babys lol) plus i was being sarcastic wrath and i steal his thread a lot (I do it mostly go back i got into a fight with cars and how serious couples are at this age so atleast you stayed with computers i went wayyy out lol)

I have a question for y'all - Im thinking of getting a new mobo, probably the asus rampage iii or something, but im not sure if I want a 1366 board or a 1155 board. What would you suggest? Im not much of a overclocker which the 1155 chipsets are kidna designed for, but i've heard the 1366 chipsets firstly cost a bomb for the better ones, and also take up a lot of power and all of that. What would you suggest?

Any board suggestions would be good too, looking through a lot of the ASUS boards they support only upto 1600mhz RAM unless you want to overclock it, and im not big on OC.

Great board I just got one but havnt used it yet. I would suggest a 1155 board and yes the 1366 were some really power hungry CPUs. 1600Mhz is overclocked on the 1366 boards the controller on the cpu is what 1333 stock? so anything above that is considered a oc. The 1155 are really expensive right now but a 2600K would keep up with a 975 or higher cpu if overclocked. but idk which one would win if you had a 990X at 5ghz and a 2600k at 5ghz anyone know? I think it depends on the thread

Why dont you like to oc? Its fun and free performance?

Last edited:
Great board I just got one but havnt used it yet. I would suggest a 1155 board and yes the 1366 were some really power hungry cards. 1600Mhz is overclocked on the 1366 boards the controller on the cpu is what 1333 stock? so anything above that is considered a oc. The 1155 are really expensive right now but a 2600K would keep up with a 975 or higher cpu if overclocked. but idk which one would win if you had a 990X at 5ghz and a 2600k at 5ghz anyone know? I think it depends on the thread

Why dont you like to oc? Its fun and free performance?

Fair enough. I would be getting the 2600 though, not the 2600k. I don't like overclocking because I actually tried it before and it destoryed the card. Im not as experienced as all of you are, so when it comes to overclocking especially dramatically you need watercooling, which is another thing I have no idea about.

Im not big on overclocking because i'd prefer the PC just work at the speed it was built to. I mean when I get more "advnaced" in the PC world then sure i'll look into it. As of now though I just barely have enough knowledge and experience to build a PC from scratch, nevermind the rest.

And I find the 1155 boards and chipsets to be cheaper by around £200 than the 1366, which is always a bonus.

Fair enough. I would be getting the 2600 though, not the 2600k. I don't like overclocking because I actually tried it before and it destoryed the card. Im not as experienced as all of you are, so when it comes to overclocking especially dramatically you need watercooling, which is another thing I have no idea about.

Im not big on overclocking because i'd prefer the PC just work at the speed it was built to. I mean when I get more "advnaced" in the PC world then sure i'll look into it. As of now though I just barely have enough knowledge and experience to build a PC from scratch, nevermind the rest.

And I find the 1155 boards and chipsets to be cheaper by around £200 than the 1366, which is always a bonus.

Hey all - been super busy with work and now traveling this week, will not be getting to the builds till I get back and things slow down by the weekend.

To answer your question, the 2600 is a good chip. If you are not into overclocking, then I would go with it, you should be fine. The newer chips are nice and one of the killer things is the 2600k does not get as hot as the 1366 chips like the 990x I have. Granted it still can hold its own, and these Core i7 1366 chips really still remain the power chips, even over an OC'd 2600K or whatever, but in the end, if you are not overclocking and just want a good powerful chip, yeah go with the 2600.

The chip Frank uses is probably and in my opinion still one of the top dogs in pure raw power. The new Sandybridge chips do not have the heat issues I do, even overclocking, this is what has made them so popular to overclock aside from them being very easy to do so. This is because many have gone 4.4GHz+ on air without issue. I am not trying to be a technical source of infinite knowledge of hardware, etc - I am just expressing what I recall from what I have read. From my understanding these new chips do not require the exotic cooling like Frank does - so I would most certainly go with the 1155 boards and chip sets.

Most certainly do not overclock unless 1 you can afford to and 2 you feel comfortable doing it. Same goes for anything above and beyond simply plug and play with components on a PC, if you are not comfortable and do not have the confidence, do not try, do some more research until you know. Fear is simply the lack of knowledge of any given situation or perceived action and the lack of confidence to handle it. Armed with knowledge and confidence, there is nothing you should fear doing and this applies to everything IMO, not just computers. Knowledge leads to confidence and confidence leads to action, so the best place to start is to research, learn and ask questions to learn. From there the rest should follow in time. Sorry, got a little "preachy" there, just some life lessons I have learned along the way.

Uncle cav has advice for everything out there. Really good guy i agree with what he said.
Dont be like me and oc when i cant afford to replace it if it breaks and i didnt have a really good idea. Once vic gets to water cav and i will try for 4.2-4.3ghz :) im excited i love ocing free performance and cav and possible victor have to be oced otherwise we will bottleneck our gpus (im adding 2 480s) cavs cpu bottlenecks bad but its not a fair fight 4 gpus agaist 1 cpu. I tryed getting cav to put his 990X at 5ghz. He is just so busy.

Hey all - been super busy with work and now traveling this week, will not be getting to the builds till I get back and things slow down by the weekend.

To answer your question, the 2600 is a good chip. If you are not into overclocking, then I would go with it, you should be fine. The newer chips are nice and one of the killer things is the 2600k does not get as hot as the 1366 chips like the 990x I have. Granted it still can hold its own, and these Core i7 1366 chips really still remain the power chips, even over an OC'd 2600K or whatever, but in the end, if you are not overclocking and just want a good powerful chip, yeah go with the 2600.

The chip Frank uses is probably and in my opinion still one of the top dogs in pure raw power. The new Sandybridge chips do not have the heat issues I do, even overclocking, this is what has made them so popular to overclock aside from them being very easy to do so. This is because many have gone 4.4GHz+ on air without issue. I am not trying to be a technical source of infinite knowledge of hardware, etc - I am just expressing what I recall from what I have read. From my understanding these new chips do not require the exotic cooling like Frank does - so I would most certainly go with the 1155 boards and chip sets.

Most certainly do not overclock unless 1 you can afford to and 2 you feel comfortable doing it. Same goes for anything above and beyond simply plug and play with components on a PC, if you are not comfortable and do not have the confidence, do not try, do some more research until you know. Fear is simply the lack of knowledge of any given situation or perceived action and the lack of confidence to handle it. Armed with knowledge and confidence, there is nothing you should fear doing and this applies to everything IMO, not just computers. Knowledge leads to confidence and confidence leads to action, so the best place to start is to research, learn and ask questions to learn. From there the rest should follow in time. Sorry, got a little "preachy" there, just some life lessons I have learned along the way.

PREACH! Haha but no everything you said there just reensured me that getting a 1155 board with a 2600k chip is the way I want to go. I decided o nthe K chip because the 2600 and the 2600k preform exactly the same just you can overclock the K, and once I get to know how to do it, then i'll look into it. I like to keep the posibilty there.

Air cooling is a must though. Like I said I am uncomfortable watercooling just as of yet, which is why I decided on the corsair 800D as a case. With a lot of airflow with the 3 top fans @ 120mm, back fan at 140mm and the extra HDD fans and stuff, it should provide good airflow throughout without burning out or just generally getting too hot to manage.

Im still undecided on grahpics yet. I want to run two cards in SLI with eachother, but I probably won't be doing this for another 6 months so times change fast. When it happens i'll make a thread about it as it'll be my first ever build, so it's important to me I get it right haha. My first baby steps into the computing world!

PREACH! Haha but no everything you said there just reensured me that getting a 1155 board with a 2600k chip is the way I want to go. I decided o nthe K chip because the 2600 and the 2600k preform exactly the same just you can overclock the K, and once I get to know how to do it, then i'll look into it. I like to keep the posibilty there.

Air cooling is a must though. Like I said I am uncomfortable watercooling just as of yet, which is why I decided on the corsair 800D as a case. With a lot of airflow with the 3 top fans @ 120mm, back fan at 140mm and the extra HDD fans and stuff, it should provide good airflow throughout without burning out or just generally getting too hot to manage.

Im still undecided on grahpics yet. I want to run two cards in SLI with eachother, but I probably won't be doing this for another 6 months so times change fast. When it happens i'll make a thread about it as it'll be my first ever build, so it's important to me I get it right haha. My first baby steps into the computing world!

Good choice going w/the K version, "better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it" - thats what I live by (and yes for all you Combined Insurance sales ppl - u know who u are, I still remember that line - lol).

The 800D is known primarily for its Water cooling room and hot swap bays, air cooling is not its strength, though it does a good job if you have good high CFM fans up top and exiting. Make sure you get something 67CFM or higher, but try to keep DBA low - lower your DBA, quieter it is, higher the CFM, the more air its moving out of the case. Otherwise the 800D is a simple joy to build in. I have owned several makes and manufacturers of cases, I used to think the Antec P190 was THE case, but after playing with this Corsair 800D for the last couple years, I could not be happier with what houses Frank. I could not see him in any other case out there. FRank and the Corsair 800D is like Peanut Butter and Jelly, they are just ment for each other.

Baby steps on the water cooling too - first do you a CPU cooling, feel god about that, then move to GPU's and so on - no need to do it al up front, plus if you are not overclocking, not much sense unless you are going the "silent pc" route. Good luck and welcome to an addiction that seems to take on a life of its own and suck the cash right out of the wallet - consider yourself warned - lol

On a plane right now - love to be able to reply and be on the internet at 30,000ft - god I love technology, too bad Frank couldn't have come for the ride, having to make do on the laptop.

Good choice going w/the K version, "better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it" - thats what I live by (and yes for all you Combined Insurance sales ppl - u know who u are, I still remember that line - lol).

The 800D is known primarily for its Water cooling room and hot swap bays, air cooling is not its strength, though it does a good job if you have good high CFM fans up top and exiting. Make sure you get something 67CFM or higher, but try to keep DBA low - lower your DBA, quieter it is, higher the CFM, the more air its moving out of the case. Otherwise the 800D is a simple joy to build in. I have owned several makes and manufacturers of cases, I used to think the Antec P190 was THE case, but after playing with this Corsair 800D for the last couple years, I could not be happier with what houses Frank. I could not see him in any other case out there. FRank and the Corsair 800D is like Peanut Butter and Jelly, they are just ment for each other.

Baby steps on the water cooling too - first do you a CPU cooling, feel god about that, then move to GPU's and so on - no need to do it al up front, plus if you are not overclocking, not much sense unless you are going the "silent pc" route. Good luck and welcome to an addiction that seems to take on a life of its own and suck the cash right out of the wallet - consider yourself warned - lol

On a plane right now - love to be able to reply and be on the internet at 30,000ft - god I love technology, too bad Frank couldn't have come for the ride, having to make do on the laptop.

Haha thank you. When does freshers week for this addiction start? (;

But yeah. I wante the 800D mainly because it's a beautiful case. And it has the room for expansion, yet again one of those better to have it than not cases. Im going to have3 fans at the top, I might have the first one pulling air in and the last 2 pushing at out, the one at the back pushing air in, the CPU cooler fan obviously pushing air out too. I don't know i'll have to play around and see what works best temprature wise.

Thanks for the advice on fans too. I do want a relivtivly quiet PC because I enjoy my music, especially when im playing a game I like to have music in the background so having low fan sounds is a must almost. I mean obviously im not looking for the most SILENT of things, just as long as I can listen to music and not hear the fans in the background.

You cna see in my signature what I intened to get. Thats if my car insurance isn't too expensive, but thats a total de-rail of a thread.

Good choices on the components - best of luck on your build. Frsher's week starts the moment the parts arrive.

Top 140mm fan is an exit fan, the top three 120mm fans are exit fans, the Corsair 800D is built to pull from the bottom of the case, draw the air up and out the top and back sides. There is a 140m fan between the PSU bottom section and mobo top section, this is supposed to assist in moving that air up and over the motherboard components. One thing you could consider is a higher CFM fan in that position, because being in the case you can reduce the fan noise somewhat anyway. Then the fans exiting can be quieter. But that is the main feed for the rest of the mobo chamber. The 140mm side fan pushing over the HDD's actually uses the back cavity behind the motherboard and exhausts out the back, however this is not a good design knowing that flow area will be jammed with cables you are hiding, so do not rely on the HDD fans to do much for exhausting internal air - the 140mm in the middle and the top/exit fans are where you are going to get the best use and performance. Simply find what your budget will allow and go as high a CFM with the least DBa possible and you will be fine.

It is a great case, even for air, just better known for its room, awesome design, and great water cooling options.

:eek: its a three day weekend and my wife just infomed me she has plans Saturday - hmm, VAMPI? Maybe? Yeah I think so.................still waitng on a couple things for Frank, so hey why not.

:eek: its a three day weekend and my wife just infomed me she has plans Saturday - hmm, VAMPI? Maybe? Yeah I think so.................still waitng on a couple things for Frank, so hey why not.

27983tumblrlpth.jpg

This was basically my reaction.

Awsome victors liquid cooling parts get here today on the truck now. To bad I'm at school.

How did you mount that 655 on the case? I have the same one and same Bp stuff but idk how...

Frank!!!! Needs you!

Well, I stopped in for a visit to find no one home. Working nights sucks. You miss all the action. Oh, well. I'll stop by later.

How did you mount that 655 on the case? I have the same one and same Bp stuff but idk how...!

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome - put simply, drill two holes and use two screws with nuts on the back. I had two cap head screws that were like 1/4" long and happened to find two nuts that fit them, so I drilled two holes where I wanted to mount the pump and mounted it. For added assistance I put a velcro strip behind it, so once I go to install it, the velcro holds it in place for me, adds more cushion as well as holds it when I take it out.

ITS VAMPI DAY - already getting the goodies staged, really hoping this PPCS order comes in today or VAMPI wil not entirely happen. There are QDC's and a black project box in that order. I traded my Uncle for my Mushkin SSD's, he bought the BlackIce 360 RAD replacement for Frank and some parts I needed to replace in the VAMPI build because Frank took them.

I am replacing that POS Swiftech 360 RAD I substituted in Frank when I put a hole in the last BlackIce 360 Stealth with this one:

Black Ice Xtreme 3 High Performance Radiator
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ucts_id=3123:37a76e2fa4ebbed6dccaf5031c2917df
Xtreme3_bk_t_LRG.jpg

That should help Frank cool the CPU better and the overall loop temps will drop I am sure once I do the Push/Pull with this. I will drop the same 120mm fans I had in the top of Frank (Cooler Master ones) for the Pull side and the new Xigmatech red LED fans as the Push side. Which should then really help me drop the temps coming from the GPU's before it feeds into the CPU.

In case you have not kept up with the latest iteration of the loop, we have finally settled on the following path:
ERM > GPU 1 > GPU 2 > GPU 3 > MCP 655 PUMP Internal > 360 RAD > CPU > Motherboard > ERM Unit

The intent and it appears to be working is that the ERM does the heavy lifting to suck as much heat as possible from the loop. It feeds the GPU's directly because we all know these babies are inferno's, especially when overclocked and pushed to the max. Then the MCP 655 12v internal pump pulls it through and pushes the water through the 360 rad up top with the 6 - 120mm fans. The purpose here is to reduce the water temps as much as possible before hitting the CPU. So I am trying to use the 360 rad in the middle of the loop to drop the temps of the water, allowing for better cooling to the CPU block. Once it runs through the CPU block, it then feeds the motherboard block and returns to the ERM unit to let it handle the drop in coolant temp again. The ERM Unit is supposed to be able to handle 2,000w of heat distribution, so it gets the job of making sure the GPU's stay cool as possible. The 360's job is to ensure the CPU stays as cool as possible, so this is why I need a good 360 up top to suck the heat the GTX 580's produce before it goes into the CPU.

Anyway, back to VAMPI, I hear my wife stirring around, so I should be getting to her very soon. I am excited, I cannot wait to try Crysis 2 in SLI with two GTX 580's water cooled at 1920x1080 on that system downstairs in 3D. One could only hope that SLI'd GTX 580's can handle full eye candy and 3D at that resolution..............we shall soon find out.

Hey I thought you wernt going to use that erm unit on frank but the huge rad? :(

Otherwise awsome!

Yay for Vampi!!! I cant wait to see some pictures of the progress as well as the final product.

Hey I thought you wernt going to use that erm unit on frank but the huge rad? :( Otherwise awsome!

I know and as I said I was 99% sure I was going to move the ERM downstairs, but really it would be like cutting off one of Franks arms, I cannot do that, it is and was modded to fit Frank's colors, it works and I like it here. So that 1% chance kicked in knowing that I realy put that MO-RA3 LT together for silent or cose to silent operation and the ERM does have fan noise I cannot conceal. My wife HATES the fans that VAMPI was pushing now and they were relatively quiet (a tad louder than a PS3 fan sound). So I have to use the quietest option downstairs.

What I plan on doing is using the Classified profiles in the BIOS to distinguish between normal running and Gaming/OC. So for the most part I will run stock speeds on everything which will reduce dramatically the cooling I need, meaning I can run the fans as low as possible and find that balance in fan speeds and cooling. Then when I want to game and crank VAMPI up, I can change my profile, crank the fans and have superior cooling with performance for gaming. I know the fans will not bother me and while gaming I SERIOUSLY doubt I will even notice the fans with that system cranked up. So in the end I am sticking with myu original plan to use the MO-RA3 downstairs. I even purchased the feet for it so it can stand on its own. I also went to Hobby Lobby this morning and purchased a plastic box I will be putting the PSU, pumps. fan controllers and such inside. Once I get everything organized I will then paint it black. Right now its a simple semi-clear normal plastic box with a snap shut lid that has a handle. Once I get done I will cut holes for the PSU, in/out 60mm fans and so on. I will put the Pumps, the PSU, the 12v-24v converter, the controllers, and the fan strips inside to keep things nice and tidy.

Yay for Vampi!!! I cant wait to see some pictures of the progress as well as the final product.

I really wish I had someone that could just take pictures while I worked, but I will try and stop along the way. I have limited time and if I am not bothered too much via Phone/txt I may be able to get it all done.

My wife is about to leave for about 4 hours, so in the time I need to covert the Mobo to water, install it in the new chassis, and convert one GTX 580 back to water, and build everything out. The biggest challenge will be the project box and the things inside to make it a clean install and then figuring out how I am going to run it all or install it all in the entertainment cabinet. But I will take pictures along the way. I have to or there will be an angry mob here lol.

OK someone start the clock - its VAMPI building time........................

uh.... been lurking for a bit but just gotta say... that whole desk / rack / pc combo on the other page is just simply wicked !!

Back