Frank's 2011 Upgrade

Yeah it has - so glad it has too - much cleaner and more efficient.

What a weekend coming..........I got the new rug in already, the Herman Miller Aeron is being delivered tomorrow, so its time to rebuild the office and lay down the new rug. This means I need to break my desk down and paint it to match Frank's color scheme. When I put it back together, I plan on moving the desk to the other wall and put a wall behind the monitors instead of them being out in the open, this way I can use some of the Cold Cathodes I have extra to put behind the monitors and do the red glow thing on the wall behind it. Research has show it reduces eye strain in dim light rooms and allows for a more comfortable working/gaming environment. So I am going to give it a shot with a little red light behind the monitors. The plan I have is to put Frank basically next to me now instead of across the room.

First and foremost I have two GTX 580's I will need to remove, pack and ship to the people that purchased them so they can get their little beasts going. I have both GTX 580 3GB cards coming in as well by Friday so while the desk is drying I will need to rebuild Frank with the new GTX 580's. I may stick with two for now, but will get the third once I can sell the GTX 285's and the Mushkin SSD's. Then sleeving and Frank should be done.

I am pretty excited about the change of events though with Vampi- two GTX 580's should be more than enough to push DX11 3D video to the Sammy downstairs at the 1920x1080 resolution it does. So now I want to get the Nvidia kit to give it a go once Vampi gets built and installed.

I also just pre-ordered some more "food" for Frank...........

Battlefield 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Rage

So now waiting for those release dates to see them in all their glory. I cannot wait. I can say that I am getting more impressed and less disappointed in Crysis 2. With the release of the DX11, high texture pack and the 1.9 patch, finally we are starting to see major visual improvements to the game in which I was hoping for on release. I am sure the GTX 580 3GB cards will make it a much more enjoyable experience at 5980x1080 at full eye candy too - that time is soon.

yeah mid life crysis buddy lol jk :) but Do you think that having blue lights behind my monitor if that would reduce stress on the eyes? I usually have a lamp on behind me but its a 60watt bulb so not very bright. Any how I want the left over foods you dont use anymore lol. Do you think you will ever go to 3D monitors with frank? (Now I know the answer and it is a yes cuz we already went through this with the 3gb 580s havnt we? you will say i will make do and then in september "Well I just ordered three new monitors who wants to buy these" :))

LMAO - nothing like playing Crysis 2 in mid-life and being able to build the rig to play it on with full eye candy (j/k - twist on the mid-life comment)

Yeah, already contacted a guy I know that does refurb sales of monitors and told him to keep his eyes open for three matching 120Hz LCD's 23-24" monitors, I would be interested if @ a good price. So yeah, I may be selling thee monitors as well eventually.

Yes - blue lights behind your monitors would help. The research suggests that a light (not sure if colors matter) behind the monitors in dimly light rooms brings the blacks out in the monitors colors more and reduces eye strain because of the contrasting background light. Light behind you isnt going to be good in any sense. I normally simply keep all lights out in my office anyway and during the day I keep the blinds shut almost all the time - I like my cave.

Lol hey as long as playing crysis two on a computer like frank makes you happy thats all that matters we all break down at the mid life crysis in diffrent ways my step dad got a convertible and drives slow as hell in it lol

That's nice to know im going to look around for a three small lights that i can put behind my monitors i think it would look cool too...

LET THE SLEEVING BEGIN! MDPC order arrived today............the first GTX 580 also arrived today.

So what you are saying is, Vampi is on the backburner still :/

Actually its a good thing Vampi went to the back burner because she already got an upgrade to two GTX 580's before I even started building her. I just sold two of the GTX 285's and have two left - one is being returned to XFX for an RMA which I will use as the dedicated PhysX in Vampi - the 3rd I hope to sell as well to get a GPU I can use in Frank as a non-PSU powered PhysX card - because Frank's 4 GPU rails will be busy with the three GTX 580's. So I have to get a low powered GPU to use for PhysX. The other good thing is I already have the two GTX 580's going into Vampi water blocked - so they are now out of Frank and ready for the Vampi build.

If all goes well I could be starting Vampi this weekend waiting on the 3rd GTX 580 3MB for Frank. Now that I have everything in place to build Vampi. Before the hold up was waiting on Watercool to send a refurb kit we talked about to get the water blocks back on the GTX 285's, now that I do not need them immediately - we are good to go. Vampi could quite honestly be done before Frank. I cannot wait to drop those 9 120mm fans on that rad - that alone will be pretty awesome to me to see that kind of cooling come together.

I want a 1999-2004 Mustang GT convertible with a manual transmission so that I can modify it. My problem won't be driving slow, hehe.:D

Mustangs are for loser get a vette or a camaro. Build the rear end the tranny and the motor set it up with a drag car and race the hell out of it. When im 18 my grad present is a 01 trans am ws6 i plan to build stage 5 tranny from rpm build the motor i like the way cams make cars sound idk why. build the rear end some slick tires yeah buddy lol any how Victor is getting his last upgrades right now lol.... Ill post a pic but i stole richards idea and got the blue lights behind my monitors....

Btw what i was alwasy todl was that convertibles are more heavy which make them slower. Im not that picke though i just want a car that i can play with and when i stomp on it will get up and go i dont want to take it to a track tho lol

OK – (lmao- famous last words) – Final orders placed today for Frank and the builds. I really must chill out after this – though I really want 3D monitors and a couple Vertex 3 SSD’s – I will have to simply deal with the current system. Like it’s something to labor through and deal with, however after the fall out today when my wife realized that I purchased the last GTX 580 GPU today and started packing/shipping the others that everything went to – well duck and cover time.

Though as I write this I am now sitting in my lovely and oh so comfortable Herman Miller Aeron chair – OMG I love this thing. I just gave away the old office chair and now I can game/work with good back support and be comfy for quite a while. The last office chair I will probably buy for a long time to come.

The rug that arrived – will not work, was returned yesterday. So I have to order another from elsewhere. When it arrives I will be rearranging the office and getting things “picture ready”.

The plan for the office is this:
officeplan.png

I ordered the last 3GB GPU today (one showed yesterday, one shows up today), so it should be here next Tuesday, and then I will need to water block all three GPU’s and get them back in the water loop. I suspect the new blocks will arrive by then as well because PPCS mailed them yesterday and it typically takes 2-3 days to get here. With that said I am thinking that Frank may find his final “look” by next Friday or the end of next weekend.

frank2011finalloop.jpg

My goal with this redesigned loop is to reduce the areas that could contain water bubbles or places in tubes that may ½ fill. I tried to make it so the main water coming in went straight down, pushed through the GPU’s, then got sucked out of the GPU’s by the second MCP655 which will then feed it directly up to the stealth 360 rad at top. This will give me a way using the QDC’s to break the GPU’s from the loop without draining the rest of the system. This also forces all bubbles up into the top radiator, which I will work out as I go along. Then it will feed directly into the CPU after being cooled down a tad through the 360 Rad and come down to the CPU block, hopefully reducing the chance of feeding too much bubbles down at this point unless I am trying to bleed them all out. From the CPU I plan on doing a couple 90 degree turns to feed the motherboard block. This is a place where bubbles collect right now, so I am hoping this flow will reduce the accumulation here, if not it will be easy to twist and turn Frank to work them out. The exit tubing stays the same and feeds directly out the back.

I also ordered an EVGA GTX 520 01G-P3-1521-KR for a dedicated PhysX card to put in the last slot in Frank. That should arrive next week sometime from Best Buy. XFX has sent me the info (god I love XFX, wish they still did Nvidia chipsets) to RMA my GTX 285 I have, so that is heading out and will be used as a dedicated PhysX in “Vampi” when it comes back – I may or may not drop one of the water blocks I have on it, just depends. As a dedicated PhysX it should not have the heat issues.

So for now it appears that I will be sleeving Frank this weekend, then starting on Vampi and cleaning a garage if I have time. Oh what fun………………

Cav - Excited for the updates... but I think you should move the Right Rear speaker closer to the other so you have a more square sound stage it might throw the sound stage off a bit with it being the only corner that's out of square. Also might move the sub in between the two rears, that way you hear it from both ears (about as equally as you can) and not just from one side. I'm very into audio stuff ;)

As for the convertible comment up above some where, convertibles are way less unstable than hard tops, really they are a waste of time if you want to go fast as the torque can twist the frame easier on them and they suck in the corners. And sorry by Forced Induction > v8 power. EJ255 all the way.

Sorry your engine can't produce it's own power and needs help stupid tuners and bs. A supercharged ls7 like the zr1 is awsome tho lol

Plus turbo charges are really unstable and supercharges take power to run them but they make it up I guess

Sorry your engine can't produce it's own power and needs help stupid tuners and bs. A supercharged ls7 like the zr1 is awsome tho lol

Plus turbo charges are really unstable and supercharges take power to run them but they make it up I guess

laugh1.gif

You're.. 15? Stick to the computer talk. Turbochargers are not unstable at all. Supercharers are the same exact thing as a turbocharger except it runs off a belt and not exhaust gases. On top of that, superchargers cost more to maintain and are way harder to maintain correctly. Why do you think that car companies use turbochargers more than they use superchargers?

If superchargers are so much better than why does every drag car, road course car, (almost every) drift car, and rally racing car run turbos over superchargers? Plus, turbos provide the power where you are actually going to use it in any type of racing (especially drag racing/street racing) where as superchargers don't, just for clarification I'm speaking about the top end.

Plus, a turbocharger yields more power than a supercharger. The reason being is that they increase the velocity of the exhaust gases so that they can exit the motor and exhaust faster. You can easily increase the boost behind a turbocharger by the push of a button, even while driving. With a supercharger you have to pull the belt off, pull the pulley off, do this, do that, waste of time.

Lastly, superchargers require just as much tuning as turbochargers do. Also, you basically agreed with me. Superchargers are also a forum of forced induction.

Sorry Cav for taking up the space, but it was needed. But on topic to Frank!

Man superchargers suck but they don't suck as much as a turbo does, in fact turbo's suck SO MUCH, that the fastest vehicles in the world are part of this MASSIVE suck factor.

on topic: Cav would you recommend an open rack or closed rack if on were to build a similar set as yours? ( I"m looking to move the wife's comp and mine onto a rack.) Otherwise nice setup your my home office hero. :D

Uh.. The ZR1 has the LS9, not the LS7, that is the Z06. ;)

Also, whoever told you superchargers are 'unstable' is an idiot, stop listening to them.

Now back on topic. :D

Man superchargers suck but they don't suck as much as a turbo does, in fact turbo's suck SO MUCH, that the fastest vehicles in the world are part of this MASSIVE suck factor.

on topic: Cav would you recommend an open rack or closed rack if on were to build a similar set as yours? ( I"m looking to move the wife's comp and mine onto a rack.) Otherwise nice setup your my home office hero. :D

Please..just...stop.. You sound ridiculous. Stop while you are ahead. :rolleyes:

oh i know it was bogus......I have a kenny bell blown cobra and i would never trade it in.

Mustangs are for loser get a vette or a camaro. Build the rear end the tranny and the motor set it up with a drag car and race the hell out of it. When im 18 my grad present is a 01 trans am ws6 i plan to build stage 5 tranny from rpm build the motor i like the way cams make cars sound idk why. build the rear end some slick tires yeah buddy lol any how Victor is getting his last upgrades right now lol.... Ill post a pic but i stole richards idea and got the blue lights behind my monitors....

Btw what i was alwasy todl was that convertibles are more heavy which make them slower. Im not that picke though i just want a car that i can play with and when i stomp on it will get up and go i dont want to take it to a track tho lol

Thanks for calling me a loser, bud. I still want a Mustang and I don't care about weight. I'm not looking to race the thing anyway.

@The 1stCAV - You see what happens when you don't put up pics of Vampi? We become erratic. Show us some Vampi or the next conversation is going to be about you.

Actually its a good thing Vampi went to the back burner because she already got an upgrade to two GTX 580's before I even started building her. I just sold two of the GTX 285's and have two left - one is being returned to XFX for an RMA which I will use as the dedicated PhysX in Vampi - the 3rd I hope to sell as well to get a GPU I can use in Frank as a non-PSU powered PhysX card - because Frank's 4 GPU rails will be busy with the three GTX 580's. So I have to get a low powered GPU to use for PhysX. The other good thing is I already have the two GTX 580's going into Vampi water blocked - so they are now out of Frank and ready for the Vampi build.

If all goes well I could be starting Vampi this weekend waiting on the 3rd GTX 580 3MB for Frank. Now that I have everything in place to build Vampi. Before the hold up was waiting on Watercool to send a refurb kit we talked about to get the water blocks back on the GTX 285's, now that I do not need them immediately - we are good to go. Vampi could quite honestly be done before Frank. I cannot wait to drop those 9 120mm fans on that rad - that alone will be pretty awesome to me to see that kind of cooling come together.

I am excited to see Vampi's liquid cooling. How do you get all your cables from frank to the monitors? and how long are they? Ive been considering rack mounting my gaming rig for some time now. it isnt very fancy or flashy anymore, and I dont like the Corsaid H70, so ima go back to air and stop overclocking.

I am sorry i didnt mean to start a huge arguement i will admint i dont know much about cars. All i know is that tubro chargers can spike but i dont know enough i will admit that. and i was debating between the two if it was a ls7 or a ls9 thank you for correcting me. Damn honestly i was expecting that. I guess the people that act like the know a lot about cars that talk to me about it are wrong i was misinformed. I wasnt expecting all the sarcasim and shit my bad, im 15 give me a break i thought i was right and i guess i was wrong thanks for correcting but in a kinda dickish way. Anyhow Wrath i wasnt calling you a loser im just not a ford fan i like chevys best i was raised with gm cars so. Although the mustangs with the glass top does look ba.

Logan my sisters bf (That teaches me wrong according to you guys) had a old laser talon thing that was turbod and he just kept increasing it until he blew the engines gasket or something like that. So that shows what i am taught.

I'm not mad. I don't think anyone can hurt my feelings anymore. I have nice leathery thick skin. I'm not partial to any particular brand of car. I could just as well do a Vette or a '97 Supra. Hell, I drive a 2009 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD.

Im 15 iv got some thin ass skin as most teens were still learning and stuff which is why i got kinda offended by all the car comments.

Well the whole car posting was horribly off topic and had fail written all over it and you guys should just stick to computers for now and learn some things about cars and post back wiki is your friend.

Aus you will need to develop some thicker skin it will take you a long way. For practice go troll youtube.

Logan my sisters bf (That teaches me wrong according to you guys) had a old laser talon thing that was turbod and he just kept increasing it until he blew the engines gasket or something like that. So that shows what i am taught.

the talon probably lost the timing belt and dropped the valves into the pistons. common problem. I was a car guy long before I got into computers, (PC parts are easier to lift) Lots of misinformation on this thread on forced induction. Please return to PC stuff! I watch this thread because of Vampi and Frank inspiring my build.

Better yet, go bounce around in the Genmay car section.. Stay away from YouTube, I have yet to see an intelligent comment come out of that crowd. I remember being 15, learning how to work on my first car, a 72' Nova. Man, the younger crowd is getting shafted in the POS cars they have as first cars versus my generation. lol

As for the Talon, it probably had the craptastic 6 bolt motor, which were junk from the get-go. My sister had a turbo Talon when she was in school. She thought it was fast till she rode in a fast car. lol

THREAD OFFICIALLY DERAILED - HOLY $#!@&
Man I leave for a day and look what you kids have done to the place with all your nonsense - I'd tell you all to clear up your rooms, but that would be pages - so lets move forward shall we..............My knowledgebase on cars = I can drive the shit out of a good one and have a mechanic fix and maintain it - EOS. Now when it comes to PC's - bring it!

@The 1stCAV - You see what happens when you don't put up pics of Vampi? We become erratic. Show us some Vampi or the next conversation is going to be about you.

My sincerest appologies Wra81th, as you pound the "Dirt" I shall march forward with todays duties and attempt to get to Vampi building as well. Though I realized today I MUST get Frank's 24-Pin power cable built because the "extra" Silverstone 1500w PSU I decided to use in Vampi needs it and Frank is using it - so I have to at minimum get the 24-ATX power cable made for Frank. The HTPC is now out of comission as well because I sold two of the three GTX 285's out of Vampi and I needed the metal PCI slot plate from the third to put on the defective GTX 285 I have to send back to XFX (Must be in original factory condition for warranty). So no video cards are in it right now - and I am without a HTPC ATM. So I am somewhat forcing myself to get this done sooner than later because if I want video - I may as well build Vampi outright instead of taking off the water blocks from the GTX 580's to air cool till I get Vampi built - seems like taking steps back to me, so building it out would be a better route IMO.

I am excited to see Vampi's liquid cooling. How do you get all your cables from frank to the monitors? and how long are they? Ive been considering rack mounting my gaming rig for some time now. it isnt very fancy or flashy anymore, and I dont like the Corsaid H70, so ima go back to air and stop overclocking.

Yeah the cables were pretty pricey actually - one of those unforseen things I guess. I had to get 25 foot DVI cables that were extra shielded and suppose to carry the signal and they do decent. I had litttle lag between any monitor. The new arrangement will reduce the need of the length and I can go back to my 14 ft. DVI cables I have in the closet for "closer to Frank" configurations.

Right now theyy are run in a tube I bought for bundling cables - I use two because a bigger one would mean I would have to step higher and I am kinda lazy sometimes. A few pages back (page 10) I actually showed a before clean up and an after clean up shot of the wiring between the desk and Frank. More than just monitor cables I also run audio cables, speaker wires and USB cables to a couple powered hubs to run my mouse, keyboard and peripherals. So I had to get several extension cables and longer cables to cover the span. Though the room is 12 ft. wide the additional lengths in vertical and horizonal placements adds to the length needed. I originally had bought all 14 ft. cables thinking it was 12 ft across I should be fine considering that Frank isnt against the far wall and the monitors are not hat far - I was wrong once you start dressing things in your realize you need much more length than anticipated. You may also notice in a few pictures of late I have shown the 19" rack next to Frank with the red cable channel. That was left over Fiber duct I had from many years ago and I painted it red. In the pictures below you will see that its still in its original yellow state stil under my desk. That is how I also contain and clean up the cables under the desk is in the same fiber duct. When I rearrange the room and pain my desk to match Frank, the fiber trough will also be painted red as well to match.

Here is the basic idea of the cabling mess between Frank and the Desk.
frankcablingbefore.jpg

frankcablingafter.jpg

Last edited:
Better yet, go bounce around in the Genmay car section.. Stay away from YouTube, I have yet to see an intelligent comment come out of that crowd. I remember being 15, learning how to work on my first car, a 72' Nova. Man, the younger crowd is getting shafted in the POS cars they have as first cars versus my generation. lol

As for the Talon, it probably had the craptastic 6 bolt motor, which were junk from the get-go. My sister had a turbo Talon when she was in school. She thought it was fast till she rode in a fast car. lol

I used to think a slightly built honda was fast. Till I rode in logans built camaro lol

Mannyman- yes I know I need thicker skin I shall go practice on YouTube lol.

Firstcav forgive me for derailing more lol

I don't know if it has been mentioned before but what kind of camera/lens are you using for the pictures? I just got myself my a Nikon D5000, and I am still learning my way around DSLRs. I used a film SLR years ago, decided it was time to get back in with the digital :D

I don't know if it has been mentioned before but what kind of camera/lens are you using for the pictures? I just got myself my a Nikon D5000, and I am still learning my way around DSLRs. I used a film SLR years ago, decided it was time to get back in with the digital :D

My step dad uses a D5000 for his school. I use his old D40 lol I really like nikon but if you go back through the rest of this thread he tells all the software and his camara setup and everything before...

Hardware
Canon T2i EOS Rebel 18MP
18mm-55mm lens
55-300mm lens
different diffusers and lens filters
Tri-pod
2x 32GB Class 10 storage

Software
Adobe Lightroom (Latest)
Adobe Photoshop CS5

I just migrated from a Point and shoot to a DSLR @ Christmas - so still learning it, but loving it. Next I plan on buying a wide angle for close up shots inside the computer and product type images. Plus using one for people has better DOF effects on close ups, so there are many reasons I want a wide angle with a shorter distance like a 10mm or 12mm

OOPS I did it AGAIN!

I found an Nvidia 3D Kit new on eBay for $84+Free Shipping. I figured why have all this great hardware in Vampi connecting to a TV that is capable of 240Hz on that 55" Samsung and NOT do 3D gaming with it, so I took the plunge and did it.

OK, back to cable making.............thx Wra18th for releasing the suspended status on my modders license - I will not let Negra Modello get in the way of rational thinking again............

frank2011mdpcsleeving.jpg

Had to show the Herman Miller Aeron - OMG I LOVE THIS CHAIR!
frank2011cblstation.jpg

Last edited:
To bad your cable was tinned :( lol looks good i like that chair a lot. Also is that the carpet? Why would you want a rug? That carpet looks cool

Nice cabling making station! I wish I could afford to do things like that :(

Also, what is the PCB board to the left of the chair on top of the white box? It looks the size of a motherboard but it looks like it would go into a PCI Expansion slot..?

They look like gpus to me...

One has a water block on it and one is a bare card

Back