Frank Azor VP of Alienware Interview @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Frank Azor VP of Alienware Interview

We got the chance to catch up with Alienware's Frank Azor down at PAX 2018 in Australia recently. He was kind enough to sit down with us and give us a 30 minute candid interview about where Alienware came from, and where it is today, and where he expects Alienware to be going in the future.

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.

Halfway through so far. Nice to hear from a guy in the industry who gets it. It's too bad Voodoo didn't fare as well from HP's takeover as Alienware did from Dell.

Its always cool hearing success stories such as this.....to struggling in a small office to being a 3 billion dollar business.

Its crazy to think how the stars align for some people.

I'm on my third Alienware laptop and have never had an issue. I'm running 2 nvme drives in raid 0 - the machine is a year old and they are still working fine.

My Razer Blade Pro on the other hand was a piece of shit and a lot more expensive.

Edit: it also doubles as my work computer, so it rides around in an ambulance a lot getting thrown around. I don't baby it.

Last edited:
Halfway through so far. Nice to hear from a guy in the industry who gets it. It's too bad Voodoo didn't fare as well from HP's takeover as Alienware did from Dell.
This is so true with Frank I was blown away with how alike we where, it was refreshing interviewing him after talking with so many fake people who are just looking for a way to make a quick buck from gamers. I have never owned an Alienware or a Dell but It will be on top of my list with my next upgrade.

I bought a refurbished Area-51 3 years ago. 3x980s to 1080sli to 1080ti solo. 32GB ram and an i7-5960. It is a beast, reliable quiet and fast. I mined for 6 months with it. It weighs like 75lbs. Great machine and a really good price with a dell outlet coupon. Highly recommend them.

Love my 15 R3, the wife loves her 15 R2, and I loved my 17 R3 before bestbuy had it murdered by UPS during shipping for repairs.

I used to have an Alienware M11x, the really bad one with the su7300 cpu and a gt335m - got it refurbished for pretty cheap on dell's outlet. It was really a terrible machine. Build quality was solid though, except the hinges on the display broke on mine (and probably everyone else with that laptop, based on googling the issue at the time). I'd consider another Alienware laptop in the future based on my experience, just preferably one with better specs than that bottom of the barrel machine. Alienware can't fix a really slow CPU unfortunately.

I used to have an Alienware M11x, the really bad one with the su7300 cpu and a gt335m - got it refurbished for pretty cheap on dell's outlet. It was really a terrible machine. Build quality was solid though, except the hinges on the display broke on mine (and probably everyone else with that laptop, based on googling the issue at the time). I'd consider another Alienware laptop in the future based on my experience, just preferably one with better specs than that bottom of the barrel machine. Alienware can't fix a really slow CPU unfortunately.

Wow, I thought the "su7300" was a typo. But no. I've never heard of that one until now, and I do like to research about old school stuff.

An Alienware with a Low-Power CPU back in the Core 2 Duo days must've been a recipe for disaster.

Wow, I thought the "su7300" was a typo. But no. I've never heard of that one until now, and I do like to research about old school stuff.

An Alienware with a Low-Power CPU back in the Core 2 Duo days must've been a recipe for disaster.

The CPU was stock at I think 1.3ghz, but you could easily overclock it in the bios (on/off switch overclocking) to IIRC 1.73ghz. It ran some games, like you could play CS source on it no problem. Definitely a bizarre combo of parts though.

Back