France to Ban Mobile Phones in Schools

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The French government is banning students from using mobile phones in the country’s primary, junior, and middle schools. While children can bring their phones to school, they are not permitted to get them out at any time until they leave, even during breaks.

Outside one middle school in the center of Paris, pupils asked about the measure seemed unimpressed. “I don’t understand how it will work. Who will take the phones, where will they put them … how will we get them back?” said one 13-year-old boy.

I have zero issues with this and I wish it was SOP here in the US as well.

NOBODY NEEDS A FUCKING SMARTPHONE WHEN THEY'RE IN CLASS, OR SCHOOL FOR THAT MATTER. NOBODY.
But but how is the parent suppose to get in touch with their kids?!?!?!

Pagers were taken away and given back to parents if students were caught with them when I was in HS (graduated in 96).

Why are phones any different? Why were they allowed to get to this point?

Maybe taking a cell phone is considered grand theft these days? Probably don't want to get sued.

I doubt it... It's not like the kid isn't going to get it back. Parents should have to come in and sign for it to get it back though.

Pagers were taken away and given back to parents if students were caught with them when I was in HS (graduated in 96).

Maybe taking a cell phone is considered grand theft these days? Probably don't want to get sued.

My daughter has a cell phone. Only because she has after-school activities and sometimes things change and she needs someone to pick her up earlier or later than planned. It stays powered off in her backpack all day until after school.

Our school system implemented this policy a few years ago. When my daughter had hers taken away for using it and complained to me, all I said was, "Oh well. I guess you'll have to wait the 3 days to get it back."

I have no problem with this rule.

What does it matter as long as they don't use them during class? How are students using them between classes, or at lunch causing problems? I remember texting my daughter to ask her if she needed a ride some place after school or things like that, and she would get back to me between her classes. It's not a necessity, but it is definitely convenient.

I'm 27 and graduated High School in 2008. Right around the time the first iphone came out. Cell phones were banned at the time in schools but now the high school allows them.

I will say that cell phones do disrupt class. I'm a Senior at a Big 10 state university and in a lecture hall of 300 students, sometimes I sit in the back and see like 100 of them on their cell phones or computers on facebook. Those same students complain about their professors being a bad lecturer.

While not banned in Canada, if you get get caught using a cell phone in class in Canada and it gets immediately confiscated. The kid will get it back eventually, but there is a zero tolerance policy for their use in class. It used to be no cell phones on school grounds, but I suspect that may have changed in recent years.

I agree. They should not be allowed in class rooms.

Although I know, at least, one high school which allows phones and tablets to be brought into class. My son was unfortunate enough to have attended that school. The reason they allowed it was so kids could use them during tests. The administration discovered the grades of the kids improved dramatically and many happy parents got to apply "My kid is an A student at..." bumper stickers on their mini vans.

Awesome, right?

Watch them suspend a student for calling the police during a terror attack.

My school was pretty practical (class of 07). Don’t use (i.e. get caught) your shit during class. If you do the teacher would take it and you may or may not get it back. It was more or less left up to the teacher.

if you have enough time in class to use your phone, maybe you shouldn't move on to the next grade.

Middle School and High School cram you with so much needless work, that you shouldn't have much time to good off.

College is for goofing off.

I also graduated in '96 (can't believe 40 is coming up), I do not recall our HS school having a policy on beepers. I do remember them having a policy about using office phones to make calls...they made us use the payphones unless it was an emergency.

I agree. They should not be allowed in class rooms.

Although I know, at least, one high school which allows phones and tablets to be brought into class. My son was unfortunate enough to have attended that school. The reason they allowed it was so kids could use them during tests. The administration discovered the grades of the kids improved dramatically and many happy parents got to apply "My kid is an A student at..." bumper stickers on their mini vans.

Awesome, right?

So the kids were able to use their technology (Google) while taking a test? They sure as hell better be getting straight A's.

Good for them!! - France.

Need that here in the USA. Some of my friends are school teachers and they are always saying how cell phones are constant distraction and tool for cheating. Several initiatives have been started to ban cells. The omnipresent hurdle is helicopter parents who cannot bear the thought of being more than a speed dial away from their children.

I have zero issues with this and I wish it was SOP here in the US as well.

NOBODY NEEDS A FUCKING SMARTPHONE WHEN THEY'RE IN CLASS, OR SCHOOL FOR THAT MATTER. NOBODY.
We weren't even allowed to have calculators when I was in school. Those were the days of theTRS-80, and cell phones were bricks that only wealthy business moguls could afford.

We weren't even allowed to have calculators when I was in school. Those were the days of theTRS-80, and cell phones were bricks that only wealthy business moguls could afford.

Been there, done that, born in the 1960s myself, these kids today, nothing but whiny unbelievably ungrateful egotistical and spoiled little bastards. :D

I can see both sides to this... Kids should not be able to disrupt their classes with their devices but beyond that who gives a fuck? When I was in HS the teachers didn't give a shit about phones as long as you turned your ringer off, though that was before smartphones. Still, everyone had a calculator with games on it and when I was in elementary school and middle-school I brought my Game Boy to school every day. No one cared. If I was a parent and gave my kid permission to take his/her phone to school, and the school took it away, I would be pissed.

How will the kids catch video of some crazy teacher, either doing things to the kids, or spewing propaganda that shouldn't be taught in school? The schools especially in the US, also need to stop teachers from having social media pages where students get too close (if you know what I mean), and we see a new story every week about a teacher-student relationship.

I don't see a problem as long as they get it back after school. The school cannot legally seize property and not give it back immediately at the end of the day. I've heard of schools holding phones and things for a week, semester, etc and that's not acceptable IMO.

ah control.

and the hope that one day you'll get to have some over another person.

praise you france.

i bet there is nothing sinister behind this.

That sounds about the same time as me, graduated HS in 85. In freshman science we could not use a calculator, only a slide rule :) Teacher told us until we learned how the calculator worked we couldn't use it. We did learn exactly how the slide rule worked and could even make one ourselves by the end of that class. Pagers were just becoming popular then, and they had to implement a policy of turning them off during class. Cool kids all had them, but to me it seamed a total waste since all you got on those was a message someone wanted you to call them lol.

We are beginning to hire the generation of kids who have always had a phone with them 24/7, and it shows. Most throw a fit when you tell them they can only use their phones at breaks, but in a laboratory setting it is a safety issue. I also see that they have a dependence of needing to consult their phone for basic information they should know already, even simple math skills.

I have nothing to compare to since I gradated high school 25 years ago, but do they also take any portable gaming devices too?

That said, could be part of the curriculum to force some sort of social learning in schools, as horrible as that actually was in some cases pre-cell phones.

One of my kids has a cell phone as she is in after school activities and my wife and I work. I don't think her school allows it during the day (and she certainly doesn't need access to it). I think phones are screwing up kids.
Then again, I go back in time to when I got my first video game system and later computer...you could argue it screwed me up too. I never went outside and was obsessed with the devices. Ok. Stop talking. back away.

excellent. social skills, multitasking, peripheral vision, neck posture, have all gone in the shitter since cell phones were invented.

I remember the big bruha about pagers when I was in high school. Kids still had them but the pay phones that kids needed to return calls were closely monitored :) That shut down the problem pretty quick.

But but how is the parent suppose to get in touch with their kids?!?!?!

Why would they need to do that?

They are in school learning. They don't need to talk to their parents.

It worked fine for hundreds of years. It will work fine now.

Distracting tech has no place in schools. They should be focusing on schoolwork instead.

My daughter has a cell phone. Only because she has after-school activities and sometimes things change and she needs someone to pick her up earlier or later than planned. It stays powered off in her backpack all day until after school.

No it doesn't

Back