IntelOwnz

Gawd
My Rig:
P4 [email protected]
MSI 865PE
1.5GB DDR400
WD360ADFD
x1950PRO AGP (HIS)

Running BF2 (my main game) on all HIGH settings (except no AA or AF) and getting average 50fps (ranging from 38-86)
The game tends to skip like an old cd
Even though I am getting good FPS the game skips almost like it is not rendering a few frames correctly, it's very strange

So I lowered the settings to MEDIUM (still no AA or AF) and the same skipping problem happens. Even though I am getting slightly higher FPS, about 55-60 average

I have tried:
Reinstalling Windows XP, even tried installing Vista with no luck
Installed newest drivers
Used ATI Tools, scanned, no artifacts or frame skips what so ever that I can see
Installed another game, Company of Heroes, I can play this game on FULL Settings, 8x AA and 8x AF (16x AF kills the fps whenever lots of action is happening)

This seems to be an issue only relating to BF2...Anyone else running this game with a similar setup? Let me know how it works for you.

Also, one other thing I noticed about this card, if the fan is not set to 100% the card will get to about 62 degrees and artifact like crazy. Maybe this is related? I just bought this card about 2 weeks ago so the best I can do is RMA to Newegg for a replacement...

close all background tasks before loading up the game, that sounds like page file access skipping to me. does it happen throughout your match or go away in the first few minutes? can you get your hands on another 512mb of ram? bf2 uses an ungodly amount of ram.

Motherboard only has 3 slots, all filled with 512mb sticks. I would need a 1GB stick which I can't get...

There isn't anything running in the background. No AV, no auto updates, no firewall, just windows, updated though (even tried stripping it down, killing services that I didn't use, didn't help).

When I have BF2 running I look at the Task Manager and BF2 is using about 700k of memory, which it didn't used to do?

I used to have a x800GTO that eventually died but it played the game on all medium settings without a hitch, this card is alot more powerful.

OP:

So lets say you're walking forward and it seems like the character skips every few seconds? Lets say you're walking across a distance over a period of 10 seconds, 5 seconds in, it seems like a frame or more was removed? Kind of like when you're watching live video and it jerks from one frame to another?

I had this issue with my Radeon 9800pro when I first got it. Problem was, ATi wouldn't let me RMA the card because they thought of it as a software issue and not a hardware issue so I had to live with this issue for about a year or two which sucked. The card finally started to show artifacts even when at the desktop so I ended up being able to RMA the video card. When I got the RMA card back, the games ran like they were suppose to, w/o the stuttering...

If thats the issue you're experiencing, I'd RMA the card asap as not only have I heard of a LOT of X1950 cards being duds but by the sounds of things you have a defective card. Don't listen to ATI about reinstalling the drivers cause that has nothing to do with it. Just tell them its artifacting or something, the card is defective.

OP:

So lets say you're walking forward and it seems like the character skips every few seconds? Lets say you're walking across a distance over a period of 10 seconds, 5 seconds in, it seems like a frame or more was removed? Kind of like when you're watching live video and it jerks from one frame to another?

I had this issue with my Radeon 9800pro when I first got it. Problem was, ATi wouldn't let me RMA the card because they thought of it as a software issue and not a hardware issue so I had to live with this issue for about a year or two which sucked. The card finally started to show artifacts even when at the desktop so I ended up being able to RMA the video card. When I got the RMA card back, the games ran like they were suppose to, w/o the stuttering...

If thats the issue you're experiencing, I'd RMA the card asap as not only have I heard of a LOT of X1950 cards being duds but by the sounds of things you have a defective card. Don't listen to ATI about reinstalling the drivers cause that has nothing to do with it. Just tell them its artifacting or something, the card is defective.

Yeah actually that sounds like what is happening. Now I just need a good time to RMA this thing..oh boy
Good thing newegg will take anything back!

my 7900GT also does the exact same thing. It is like a lag fest and even with everything on the lowest settings @ 1680x1050 the game still runs like crap. I think it is just a BF2 problem because my card runs everything else smooth. I also experienced this problem with my old 7800GT and a 9700pro before that.

my 7900GT also does the exact same thing. It is like a lag fest and even with everything on the lowest settings @ 1680x1050 the game still runs like crap. I think it is just a BF2 problem because my card runs everything else smooth. I also experienced this problem with my old 7800GT and a 9700pro before that.

Let me ask you, do you play other FPS other than BF2? Because in my experience, this problem effects FPS exclusively, if you play RTS or RTS like games or something that basically doesn't have the player moving through an environment, you won't notice this.

I've had this problem since..... bf1942 on completely different systems. :rolleyes:

I had this my self for a whlie - I run an 8800GTS 320 clocked at 650/1000. I don't think it's the video card *my problem is in bf2142 - same engine* I only see the problems in BF2142 - not in Rainbow Six: Vegas or in FEAR or in Oblivion, or in GRAW or in WoW. So, again, I think it may ACTUALLY be a problem with the BF2 engine. I know my copy of BF2142 uses a whole gig of ram when I run but I run EVERYTHING maxed and at 1680x1050 - I average around the mid 80's in framerate however during an orbital strike I can see the high 30's.

It makes the game VERY hard to play. It's ALMOST like your rubberbanding due to lag only - your not - your just suddenly in a new place...very odd.

It's a problem with the BF2 engine.

EA isn't exactly known for amazing game engines.

62 degrees is actually quite cool for a GPU, but if it is artifacting, there is something wrong with it. Does the skipping in BF2 happen in both single and multi player modes?

I have not tested in single player yet, I will remember to do that when I get home.

It's just odd to me that my old x800GTO played this game fine without a problem, now this card has issues even though it's a much better card?

It's not my internet connection though, I'm on a Premium Cable Connection from Time Warner, 15mbps down/1mbps up

I also tried patching the game, playing it unpatched (original v1) still no luck

I have not tested in single player yet, I will remember to do that when I get home.

It's just odd to me that my old x800GTO played this game fine without a problem, now this card has issues even though it's a much better card?

It's not my internet connection though, I'm on a Premium Cable Connection from Time Warner, 15mbps down/1mbps up

I also tried patching the game, playing it unpatched (original v1) still no luck

Is the GTO the only thing that has changed since the skipping problem began, hardware-wise?

It's a problem with the BF2 engine.

EA isn't exactly known for amazing game engines.

Aside from occasional niggles in the net code, I don't have any lagging, skipping, or crashing problems with BF2.

I'm running on a 7900GTO with the 93.71 driver and I have done just about all of the tweaks suggested in the Tweakguides.com BF2 article.

In fact it runs great. With 4x/4x AA/AF @ 1680/1050, the FPS reads at 99.90/10 basically the entire time I'm playing (and I fly a lot).

Aside from occasional niggles in the net code, I don't have any lagging, skipping, or crashing problems with BF2.

I'm running on a 7900GTO with the 93.71 driver and I have done just about all of the tweaks suggested in the Tweakguides.com BF2 article.

In fact it runs great. With 4x/4x AA/AF @ 1680/1050, the FPS reads at 99.90/10 basically the entire time I'm playing (and I fly a lot).

Haven't done any tweaks myself.

Then again, I shouldn't really need to hunt down some website with a load of tweaks to get a game to play properly.

No other hardware has changed at all besides the video card change.

I disabled the intro movies, always have, not just do they same ram but they're annoying! lol

I am literally stumped what is going on...I'll do some more research, maybe look for other tweaks?

OP. When you say that you patched the game, did you use a full version patch? Or have you used several patches to get it up to current version? I had a similar problem with my X800XT PE. It was on a version that I used several patches to get it up to current version. I tried many different thing to get rid of this problem. I finally tried downloading the full version of the current patch, and it went away. Just a suggestion. By the way i am currently playing on a Sapphire X1950 PRO agp. And it runs smooth. give it a shot. Good luck.

OP. When you say that you patched the game, did you use a full version patch? Or have you used several patches to get it up to current version? I had a similar problem with my X800XT PE. It was on a version that I used several patches to get it up to current version. I tried many different thing to get rid of this problem. I finally tried downloading the full version of the current patch, and it went away. Just a suggestion. By the way i am currently playing on a Sapphire X1950 PRO agp. And it runs smooth. give it a shot. Good luck.

I tried running v1 and then also downloading the full v1.4 patch, like all 300mb of it.

I think I know exactly what your complaining about. If you would try this test. Stand still in the game and move around with your mouse (fairly slowly). Every 3/4 of a second or so It will jump a bunch of frames. Now try walking forward and moving the mouse around, it should be fine. Also if you are in a vehicle and a real good test is mlooking in a turret, these should also be smooth. If they arent, then your problem is elsewhere. I have tried this on a number of different systems, they all do the same. Like others have said it could be the game engine (I tried the mouse test in BF2142, and it is still jumps).

I think others who have said it runs perfect for them, they may have missed it because it is very subtle (most of the time we are moving/running in BF2). If that is not the case there is probably hope to fix it. I just gave up on it myself.

Back