Fractal Design - When in the US?

The door at R3 keeps the case very silent, with no hard drives, low speed fans at idle (including the graphics card) and super silent PSU (Corsair AX850) this system became the first system i can sleep while being directly visible from my bed (so no sound barriers between me and PC). Arc Midi will never be so silent as R3.

Unless you are planing on anything longer than 29cm, then maybe there is a reason to get the Arc Midi. Otherwise, hell no. 29cm is enough for pretty much any card except few exceptions - this is a 27cm Gainward GTX570 Phantom in my case :
in2an.jpg

Anymore pics? That case looks sooo nice. I can believe Antec has not re-designed their mini p180. Once Fractal comes to the states, it will be a wrap for Antec p series. Fractal will eat up that market share that would be interested in the p series.

Thanks for the pics. Very nice setup!!!

Come on Newegg, I need an R3 and Arc mini!

They don't perform very well, but good enough for me (for now). They keep my system running at low noise in idle (they run at 600RPM) and while they are not perfect for high load (GTX570 reaches ~70C in generic games like TF2 and 80C in BF BC2, which makes game run at 99% GPU usage all the time; ~60-63 CPU at 100% load using OCCT Linpack), they keep the system running even at that maximal load.

They also got the stupid issue with those enermax labels on side, which let the air escape.

For me if i want to keep white/black layout, i can't really choose another fan for now, but i'm exploring other options too. If you don't mind having white fan blades while having the rest of the fan black (or all black fans), then you got better options.

I picked up the black pearl R3 for my ESXi / NAS all-in-one:

server-2.jpg

server-1.jpg

BTW, if anyone it the states is interested, I have a second one here (brand new in original box). Search the for sale forum for my listing...

Awesome! I too am looking into getting the R3. I see your HDD bays are all used up. How would you rate the noise levels with this case?

I have 10 drives in my R2, and while it is not inaudible, it is impossible to hear it durring the day and i can sleep in same room (but most of the sound is dampened by indirect sound path, so it is a little bit cheating :D).

This server sits under my desk about 3 feet away - I don't notice any noise. I have 2 x 120 fans (1000 rpm, 15 db) in the front, and the stock cpu fan. The case's noise dampening keeps most of that inside the case - I really only here it when I put my head down under my desk, and even then it's mostly just air moving.

I want that case, the black pear r3 that is. But only ++++ carries them and the shipping is like $80. The case itself is only $115 but you add the shipping and well forget it. I hope Newegg gets these soon...

Nothing personal, but i find this situation a bit funny, because at least now every USA citizen feels what any non-american feels every time he wants something more special. Some stuff can be ordered only from USA, and the shipping fees are usually insane.

But of course i hope you will have the ability to buy this case for normal prices ASAP, i got one R2 and one R3 and while it is not the best case in the world, in my opinion it hits that "magic bullet" point with price vs features ratio. It is cheap enough, it has features good enough, it is silent good enough, it doesn't have the power button behind doors, it has good cable routing options etc etc.

Oh yeah, only if the drive bays would use screws instead of rivets, mine would be gone too :D.

I would have used the full tower, if it was available at the time, cheaper than anyone else, and looks just as good as everyone else.

I would love the Define XL (black), but with a window.

Anyone seen this case modified?

anyone have an XL with alarge cooler like a Noctua?

That angled top fan bothers me.

I couldn't help myself I ordered the R3 Black Pearl from ++++ Usa for $160 shipped. One question though how much room is their behind the side panel where you would route and hide your wires? On my Lancool PC-K62 case their is probably a good 1 inch of room.

I couldn't help myself I ordered the R3 Black Pearl from ++++ Usa for $160 shipped. One question though how much room is their behind the side panel where you would route and hide your wires? On my Lancool PC-K62 case their is probably a good 1 inch of room.

You can get a good indication from the wiring pic I posted above. It's enough room to run the ATX power cable plus a wire or 2 over top of it...

anyone have an XL with alarge cooler like a Noctua?

That angled top fan bothers me.
It is not a problem. My conf has a TRUE black with two fans and it´s ok, as long as the heatsink not surpases the border of the mobo everything is fine.

Can you remove that botton fan filter? The one in front of the PSU?

Can you remove that botton fan filter? The one in front of the PSU?

Yes, i've seen an unboxing video where the person just slides it out from the back. Very easy to do. That's a MAJOR plus for me, since my Antec 1200 has to be the most annoying case i've ever had to use.

I have an R3 and its pretty good, lots of space for drives but maybe not the best cooling.

I have an R3 and its pretty good, lots of space for drives but maybe not the best cooling.

Aren't there optional fans you can add?

I want a Define XL SO BADLY >_< $200+ shipped is not working for me.
Newegg or someone needs to get this ASAP

It's already been mentioned in this thread they are setting up to distribute to at least Newegg soon, I'm looking forward to it as they seem to have all the features of the Corsair, and Silverstone cases, for half the price, I couldn't honestly care if they are all steel case and chassis, they still look the business.

Well finally got a Define R3. My current attempt at cramming all the PSU cables (Corsair VX550) through the first hole in the motherboard tray doesn't seem to be working, it gets too thick at the back for the panel to fit on. Will thread them through both holes later.

That is what I am worried about. Lucky I have a modular PSU that I only have 3 cables attached too.....

Modular would be great, my VX550 is nit. I had 2 main issues putting them all through the one hole (notice the previous case pics though, they used both holes).

1) My VX has 2 sets of 4 pin molar cables, each with 3 4 pins, which have large tabs on them. Basically the 4 pin is the depth the same as the width. Since my mobo has 4 case fan headers (and adjustable), I really don't need these 2 which I think is the main issue.

2) Jamming all the cables in makes it too thick (2x PCIe, 2xsata, 2x4 pin,24 pin, 8 pin, all sleeved), because they ended up overlapping each other. The one thick 24pin cable (sleeved together) runs along quite easily flush against the mobo tray.

I need to work on this some more. Right now they are mostly hammed behind the HD trays.

Post some pictures when your done if you can. I'm very curious how it works out for you. I get mine sometime next week. I would be using 1 sata cable, 1 24 pin cable and one 8 pin and 2 pci express 6 pin ones for my 6870 video card. And I am hoping I can route that threw the one hole..

@Temperfied: if you would bother reading the thread, no one from USA cares about them having Define R3 because of their shipping prices ;). Even me from Europe noticed that.

Does anyone know if the thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme fits in this case?

Of course it fits. It's not like you don't have this line on product page :)
Supports CPU coolers with height of ~165mm

TRUE 120 Extreme is only 160.5 mm high.

@Temperfied: if you would bother reading the thread, no one from USA cares about them having Define R3 because of their shipping prices ;). Even me from Europe noticed that.

Its funny how we're forced to buy US, but they'll never buy from us... That and our Dollars higher now too.

Lol good one :) and I bought from you I ordered the R3 case :) and I'm in CA. Although I just got off the phone with ++++ asking why my ordered had not shipped yet when I ordered and have everything processed on the 16th. Well it turns out they are waiting for the R3's to come into a certain warehouse that they use to ship to the USA, and that warehouse will not have any until Thursday :-( So it will be at least another 10 days or so that I have no main PC :-(

Back