Fractal Design R6 w/ front rad, optical drive and HD

ZippZopp

Limp Gawd
i'm considering getting the r6 for a new build. I need an optical drive in the system and I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can fit a 280mm front mounted radiator (corsair h115i platinum) with an optical drive and a 3.5'' hard drive in the bottom

I use a Define S which is nearly identical in dimensions to the R6 with a 280mm radiator mounted in the front and, while the S doesn't have any drive bays, there is ample free space, so you should be fine.

edit: I just took a picture to give you a better idea of the space and mounting options:

20190312_195819.jpg

Apologies for the lack of LEDs.

Last edited:
You should be fine. Here is the case with full installation of front fans and drive trays.

defineR6-storage.png

Apparently all 6 hdd mounts are independently mountable. You could mount 2 on the bottom without obstructing airflow.

What the hell do you need a 280mm radiator for cooling 4770k at such a pedestrian overclock on a 95w processor? Overcompensate much :D

Last edited:
thanks for the pictures...that helps a lot!

I'm doing a new build with a 9900k!

You can download the manual for the R6 from the fractal design website, and it shows all of the various radiator alternatives and what does / does not fit.

I have the R5 and did this exact setup with a H110i, the tubes are a little tight but not uncomfortably so.

nhUQtB6.png

Back