Fractal Design Define XL R2 $99.99 (Reg $129.99) @ Amazon

I like my Define R3, wish I had an R4. I imagine for someone needing the room the XL should be a great case!

I like my Define R3, wish I had an R4. I imagine for someone needing the room the XL should be a great case!

makes me glad i got an XL and a R4 from my local CL for $60 total :D

love both by the way, highly recommend! get the XL for your large motherboards, really it's only advantage over the R4.

Is this thing close to a P180 mini block in quality?

Most online reviews I've ever read were positive, though the Amazon reviews don't rave much.

I ended up ordering one for a new build. I'd like to move to a quieter setup and this should be a good start.

Now I need to find someone to talk to about how to set up the case fans for best flow with an H100i in the top of it....

Last edited:
Just a note to anyone who decides to pick this case up. Before you get all of your components plugged in and complete your wiring job, install your motherboard and ensure that your PCI/PCIE cards plug in all the way.

I just bought one of these cases from Newegg a few weeks ago and, like several others have commented in Newegg reviews, my motherboard standoffs were a bit too short. This resulted in my GPU's not plugging into the slot all the way and barely making contact with the motherboard.

To remedy this, I did as one Newegg reviewer suggested and bought some #6 flat washers from Home Depot to place down beneath the motherboard stand-offs. I used two washers for each stand-off and my cards all fit perfectly. You could also probably use taller stand-offs if you have some handy (I did not).

Hope this saves some of you a bit of time and headache.

The P180 mini I have right now is painted black,and has double wall side panels. I have never found another case like it. last time I went to frys every case had super thin panels, including the corsairs. The entire P180 mini is cooled by a single silent giant 200mm fan. When I kock on any panel in my current case it makes a quiet 'thud' due to the plastic filled double walls I guess.

The problem I have is that I am out of space in the home server. I also realize that wire management sucks compared to new cases. I know when I went to try the P183 was also built super cheap compared tot he older ones. My plan would be to migrate my old gaming PC into it which has a full size MB. I have 2 spare stackers as well but I want it to be easier to replace hard drives than it is now.

I'm really not trying to horde computer cases but I have a hard time throwing these aluminum cases in the trash.

I honestly really like the size of the mini for home server use, but It has become a problem. here a picture of the inside of a P180 mini (not mine)

p180miniks4.jpg

I almost wonder if I would be better off replacing all the 1TB drives with larger drives and then calling it a day. I don't have room for a larger case but I'm sure I can make some room somehow..

Just a note to anyone who decides to pick this case up. Before you get all of your components plugged in and complete your wiring job, install your motherboard and ensure that your PCI/PCIE cards plug in all the way.

I just bought one of these cases from Newegg a few weeks ago and, like several others have commented in Newegg reviews, my motherboard standoffs were a bit too short. This resulted in my GPU's not plugging into the slot all the way and barely making contact with the motherboard.

To remedy this, I did as one Newegg reviewer suggested and bought some #6 flat washers from Home Depot to place down beneath the motherboard stand-offs. I used two washers for each stand-off and my cards all fit perfectly. You could also probably use taller stand-offs if you have some handy (I did not).

Thanks for the info!! I picked up a set of 8.5mm standoffs just to be safe. I probably have tons around here somewhere, but finding them would be the trick.

I just bought this case for about the same price a while back and the build quality is fantastic. It does a great job of sound muffling and had an enormous amount of space. I love it's styling as well. Highly recommended!

I read you can have them mail you the correct stuff. Apparently there is also a known problem with the headphone jack.
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/12847-define-r4-front-headphone-jack-issue/

I don't care because I won't be using it or adding video cards.

I wont be using the front headphone jack either, so not worried. Looks like a simple fix if need be...

Pity these few things mar what seems to be an otherwise outstanding case the more I read about it...

Cant wait to see it tomorrow... assuming it gets here in one piece.... :p

The first batch of the Define XL's shipped with the wrong motherboard standoffs. Fractal will actually send you a little "care package" if you let them know about this. They sent me the correct standoffs and another 140mm fan after I sent them an email.

I have a R4 personally that replaced a P180. Lets just say I don't miss the P180 at all. Build quality is on par if not better :cool:

Convincing, I went ahead and ordered. I definitely like the design and layout better but have a feeling I won't like the quality. Anyways I didn't want to use my Stacker ST-01 for a server, I'm tired of futzing with the drivebay covers, but I bet I will miss the wheels.

I cant comment on this particular case but after owning and using an arc midi I will say this..
I'm not drinking the Fractal Kool-aid. The quality of my arc midi case has been absolute shit. I picked it up for around 50.00 if I remember correctly. For the price I can't complain, but the thing retails for $100.00. and that would be getting swindled IMO. That said, I personally won't be using anymore fractal cases.

The first batch of the Define XL's shipped with the wrong motherboard standoffs. Fractal will actually send you a little "care package" if you let them know about this. They sent me the correct standoffs and another 140mm fan after I sent them an email.

They did the same for me. It was awesome and arrived very quickly.

Back