Fractal Design Core 1000 smallest Matx case (Modded)

smoothmove

Limp Gawd
Got it from: https://www.newegg.com/black-fracta...-tower/p/N82E16811352032?Item=N82E16811352032

I am an Matx fan. I have used Matx boards since the AMD K2-300 back in 1997. Was with Intel since 1998.

Currently have a Asus B550m-plus Tuf Gaming Wifi Matx board with an AMD 3950x. Picked up an AIO cooler and wanted the smallest case I could find. I couldn't get one that would fit the board with everything I wanted that was small. I was going to got Mini ITX but the boards are a lot more.

Went with a Be Quiet 280. https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-pure-loop-280mm/p/2YM-0069-00003?Item=9SIA68VBZU7732

The case was easy to mod with a Dremel or grinder with a cutting wheel. I used J-B Weld to secure the top of the case. I was going to rivet it, but the JB worked out better and it was easier to make sure it was level, plum and square.

I used a Corsair SF600 power supply. It would fit a standard ATX power supply in the same space, just different cuts in the rear.

Just an attempt at case modding. If you can't find what you want for your build, make one.

Attachments

• IMG_1229.jpeg
    IMG_1229.jpeg
    669.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1230.jpeg
    IMG_1230.jpeg
    573.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1231.jpeg
    IMG_1231.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1235.jpeg
    IMG_1235.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1238.jpeg
    IMG_1238.jpeg
    604.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1247.jpeg
    IMG_1247.jpeg
    501.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    423.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1254.jpeg
    IMG_1254.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1234 2.jpeg
    IMG_1234 2.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That looks pretty good! (Although adding 2" to the height by externally mountning the rad / fans is cheating on 'smallest case' lol!)

I'd put fan grills on top of the fans myself. Block fingers and anything not tiny from falling in.

Got it from: https://www.newegg.com/black-fracta...-tower/p/N82E16811352032?Item=N82E16811352032

I am an Matx fan. I have used Matx boards since the AMD K2-300 back in 1997. Was with Intel since 1998.

Currently have a Asus B550m-plus Tuf Gaming Wifi Matx board with an AMD 3950x. Picked up an AIO cooler and wanted the smallest case I could find. I couldn't get one that would fit the board with everything I wanted that was small. I was going to got Mini ITX but the boards are a lot more.

Went with a Be Quiet 280. https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-pure-loop-280mm/p/2YM-0069-00003?Item=9SIA68VBZU7732

The case was easy to mod with a Dremel or grinder with a cutting wheel. I used J-B Weld to secure the top of the case. I was going to rivet it, but the JB worked out better and it was easier to make sure it was level, plum and square.

I used a Corsair SF600 power supply. It would fit a standard ATX power supply in the same space, just different cuts in the rear.

Just an attempt at case modding. If you can't find what you want for your build, make one.
People don't realize how much time goes into something like this. They don't see it. I've been working on my current build for a while now and I'm getting closer to posting it. I didn't cut into the case because I didn't find a need to do it, yet. I actually do have a couple of things I would like to do, such as route LEDs threw the bottom (get the drill out) and modify the front plastic part of the panel (add angled horizontal slits in it about1" part running from top to bottom, then back it up with some acetate diffused material and light it up too.). I don't currently have the tools to do the slits, but I can do the drill hole in the bottom of it.

What I did do was to take a lot of time, and pain (smoked my first MB's Mosfets on the RGB side) go back and learn how to properly solder, then diagram out all of the custom RGB strips I needed, cut and slider them, shrink wrap them, test them for both current and voltage using a Multi-meter. All stuff I had to learn. Making 32 solder joints, cleaning them, voltage and current testing each run, mounting rare earth magnets on the back of them, installing them, etc, routing wire, calculating Amperage for each header, adding hubs for SATA power for more amps, etc. Man that takes a lot of time.

Point is, I really appreciate you taking the time to do it.

I have to ask though, as the last poster said, why chop a case, then add back 3" on top with an external radiator? It's not a bad concept, for sure, and is sort of Steampunkish, or "Rat Rod" like.

As far as JB weld goes, it's not like cases are meant to beat warriors into the ground using the back end of the case. JB weld will hold forever. Therefore, it's fine imo. I know you want to rivet it back because that's just the "right way" to do it, but we're not talking about automobiles here. These are mostly stationary boxes. JB weld is incredibly strong epoxy.

People don't realize how much time goes into something like this. They don't see it. I've been working on my current build for a while now and I'm getting closer to posting it. I didn't cut into the case because I didn't find a need to do it, yet. I actually do have a couple of things I would like to do, such as route LEDs threw the bottom (get the drill out) and modify the front plastic part of the panel (add angled horizontal slits in it about1" part running from top to bottom, then back it up with some acetate diffused material and light it up too.). I don't currently have the tools to do the slits, but I can do the drill hole in the bottom of it.

What I did do was to take a lot of time, and pain (smoked my first MB's Mosfets on the RGB side) go back and learn how to properly solder, then diagram out all of the custom RGB strips I needed, cut and slider them, shrink wrap them, test them for both current and voltage using a Multi-meter. All stuff I had to learn. Making 32 solder joints, cleaning them, voltage and current testing each run, mounting rare earth magnets on the back of them, installing them, etc, routing wire, calculating Amperage for each header, adding hubs for SATA power for more amps, etc. Man that takes a lot of time.

Point is, I really appreciate you taking the time to do it.

I have to ask though, as the last poster said, why chop a case, then add back 3" on top with an external radiator? It's not a bad concept, for sure, and is sort of Steampunkish, or "Rat Rod" like.

As far as JB weld goes, it's not like cases are meant to beat warriors into the ground using the back end of the case. JB weld will hold forever. Therefore, it's fine imo. I know you want to rivet it back because that's just the "right way" to do it, but we're not talking about automobiles here. These are mostly stationary boxes. JB weld is incredibly strong epoxy.
BTW, can you take a picture of it all zipped up? I'd like to see that.

Back