Fractal Design Arc Midi: Newegg Shell Shocker $69.99 FS

EDIT: Never mind, not 3 PM yet lol.

Bit on the Define R3 at the last sale. This case looks nice too but it seems smaller than the R3 so I think I'm happy with my choice. The removable HDD trays might have been nice to have but I don't have any monster GPUs that require that much space anyway.

Hot damn.. I stopped looking at the shell shocker emails.. I guess I should be since I have been eyeballing this guy for a bit now..

Got my arc midi last shell shocker with the $20/$40 google promo code.. GREAT case so far!

It took about 10 minutes after I posted above, but I got mine.. It will make a good replacement for my Haf 912 with the rattle can'd black interior.

I bought mine for $20 off and it was an ok purchase then. I like mine a lot and at this price it's a very good buy.

I'm trying to decide which case would be better between this one the 550d or 650d I’m looking for a case that will fit the H100 and has good air flow with an SLI set up, Decisions decisions!

I'm trying to decide which case would be better between this one the 550d or 650d I’m looking for a case that will fit the H100 and has good air flow with an SLI set up, Decisions decisions!

Catching this one the shell shocker is a no brainer given the cost difference. The h100 support is the reason it was on my short list already.

wow.. So I just called tech support to see how hard it was to remove the bottom cage.. Dude (Ryan) said it was riveted in so I can drill out the rivets to remove it. He did warn that if I damaged the Chassis then it couldn't be replaced, but anything removable could be in-case I damaged it modding the case. Also no phone tree, someone who spoke clear English & who clearly wasn't reading a script = immediate win in customer service.

wow.. So I just called tech support to see how hard it was to remove the bottom cage.. Dude (Ryan) said it was riveted in so I can drill out the rivets to remove it. He did warn that if I damaged the Chassis then it couldn't be replaced, but anything removable could be in-case I damaged it modding the case. Also no phone tree, someone who spoke clear English & who clearly wasn't reading a script = immediate win in customer service.

Pretty sure the cages on the Midi are both removable.

EDIT: Or maybe not, though it makes no sense to only have the top one be removable. What if you run SLI/CFX?

Last edited:
Pretty sure the cages on the Midi are both removable.

EDIT: Or maybe not, though it makes no sense to only have the top one be removable. What if you run SLI/CFX?

Would CF 6950's fit inside this?

290mm of clearance with the cages in. So that's like 11.4" Most longer cards including the 6950 are not that long. So for most the removable cage isn't really even needed. I believe it to be more for WC then anything.

And even if the bottom isnt removable & the company is OK with you drilling out a few rivets with the warranty remaining in tact then who really cares. Will probably just ensure that most will still have some when there sold used in a few years missing half the parts.

That's really cool. There are numerous mentions of "Ryan" and great customer service in the Newegg reviews, glad to see this continues to be the case.

It is a little disappointing that the middle HDD case is removable but the bottom isn't. I thought I had read somewhere where someone else drilled out the lower one too. I seem to recall that they were able to put it back in with some screws. Can't find the source of that right now so maybe I'm just confused.

I really like this case or the mini for my mATX setup. But I want a window cause I'm lame like that.

It is a little disappointing that the middle HDD case is removable but the bottom isn't. I thought I had read somewhere where someone else drilled out the lower one too. I seem to recall that they were able to put it back in with some screws. Can't find the source of that right now so maybe I'm just confused.

Well as Ryan pointed out, you can get a rivet tool at home depot or lowes for just a few bucks.

So I got mine today.. not putting a system in it till later this week, but there are a couple things that really fucking annoy me about this.. 1st off the screws that hold the main access panel on were over tightened & stripped. Thankfully the thumbscrews gave before the case does so new screws will still tighten in place, but the outside of the screw holes are pretty chewed up. The other thing that really bothers me is that one of the rubber feet wasnt where it belonged. Instead it was stuck to the bottom of the mesh fan filter (rather the plastic holding the mesh). & Its not like it was stuck in the right spot & then moved as that fucking thing is on tight & I am afraid that if I pull any harder to get it off then I already did I will break the plastic.

I left a message for Fractal Design & am expecting a call back. So we will see if they call back before the build with a resolution or if I am going to go ahead & ship the thing back & continue to use my modd'd Haf 912.

290mm of clearance with the cages in. So that's like 11.4"
And even if the bottom isnt removable & the company is OK with you drilling out a few rivets with the warranty remaining in tact then who really cares. Will probably just ensure that most will still have some when there sold used in a few years missing half the parts.

You guys might hate me...... but i just bought one of these today off craigslist with the bottom cage drilled. seems to really nice. im going to look at putting screws in it, the drilling looks clean.

(paid $20, in great shape)

You guys might hate me...... but i just bought one of these today off craigslist with the bottom cage drilled. seems to really nice. im going to look at putting screws in it, the drilling looks clean.

(paid $20, in great shape)

Your right... I Might hate you..

Back