FPS players - Do you use a controller or plain old keyboard?

Which do you use for First Person Shooters?

• Gaming Keyboard (ie Logitech G15, Saitek, Zboard, etc.)

Votes: 61 24.9%
  • Ordinary Keyboard

Votes: 166 67.8%
  • Specialized Controller (N52, Wolf King Warrior)

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • Other?!? (Please mention)

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wfalcon

[H]ard|Gawd
I was just curious. Been in the market to get rid of this crappy keyboard, but haven't found anything that grabs me. The gaming keyboard thread gave me some ideas, but seems like there is no perfect keyboard out there. I know it's a matter of taste and opinion too though, so I was curious how many folks actually use them vice plain-jane keyboards.

I didn't like the N52 as it didn't have any F1-12 keys on it. I am tempted to try the Wolf King Warrior though (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823146002).

Checked out gaming keyboards such as the Logitech G15 or Saitek models, but the G keys on the G15 seem gimmicky unless you're into MMORPGs - I can't see taking my hands off WASD to use them in FPS.

I'm almost tempted to buy an ordinary keyboard to replace this one (came with my old K-6-2 450MHz).

Gaming keyboards don't exist.
It's all called "marketing"

the g15 has additional programmable buttons and a pretty muhc useless lcd screen. boo-hoo.

kohan69 said:

the g15 has additional programmable buttons and a pretty muhc useless lcd screen. boo-hoo.

Says you. Does this also mean you don't think gaming mice exist?

Xaeon said:
Says you. Does this also mean you don't think gaming mice exist?

Not really. Some mice have higher dpi and more buttons, that makes them better for gaming and photoshop, but most mice that are named "Gamers' mouse", are usually overpriced crap. With Logitec being an exeption.

I have all Logitech: wireless kb from the MX Duo and an MX 518. A good mouse/kb combo is the end-all-be-all for FPS games.

I have a Logitech controller that I only use for sports & racing; practically useless in FPS. The Logitech stick I have is crap for me in BF2 (the game I got it for) and is collecting dust; even flying choppers is better with kb/mouse.

If you could have great kb/mouse players vs great controller players in, say, the Halo series (the most prominent controller FPS), the kb/mouse crowd would own.

Belkin n52 FTW. Best purchase for my PC ever. Better than the new RAM, better than the 6800GT (and I'm very happy with both purchases).

I got the cheapest keyboard they had when I was buying the parts for my PC... Big mistake...

It's a MS Multimedia keyboard, and I fucking hate it. They've completely screwed up the layout. The insert key above the cursors is gone. The delete key is now twice the size. These keys are now in two columns instead of two rows. The Function keys are now grouped in threes instead of fours. Furthermore, they're all useless until you hit the "F-Lock" button in the top-right corner - before you do this, they're bound to such useless commands as "Open", "Close", "Undo" etc., and the default cannot be changed back to F1 - F12 (as the state of the F-Lock cannot be altered by software). Serves me right, I suppose, for not looking at one before I bought it...

I can't wait until I can afford a new one (after I buy a new case, PSU, ram, video card and some cooling equipment) so I can smash this pile of shit into little fucking pieces.

Then I'll do the same with my MS "Basic Optical Mouse" (yes, for some reason it's even inferior to the MS "Optical Mouse"...).

I use an MS Ergo 4K keyboard and the Wolf Claw Warrior.

Mousing with an MX518 for now. I plan to get the G5 or G7.

oedinary stylish 20 pounds keyboard and a semi gaming mouse...im gna get the mx518 or razer copperhead/diamondback tho...

ive never used a gaming keyboard so i dont know how much better they are...anyone want to fill me in so i can add that to my list of things to buy? :)

Try out the Wolf King with the old keyboard first and see if you are happy.

I'm using a Logitech Elite SE (wired version of the keyboard in the MX Duo, back when it came with the MX 700) and I love it. The main reason I love it is the mouse wheel on the left side of the keyboard.

*Reads back of Keyboard* "Microsoft Internet KeyBoard"

Hmmm.....

Sounds great except I dont use any of the extra internet buttons. Works just fine for me though. :p I used to have a dell keyboard until the "W A S D" region would get stuck. As long as the buttons work and its a familiar layout I'm happy.

I'm using a Logisys keyboard to game but I don't think it is considered a gaming keyboard.

Just a classic Cherry keyboard... responsive and can take a beating ;)

Labtec flat keyboard + Razer Diamondback Plasma.

I can use a controller no problem for consoles but will always prefer a keyboard and mouse if on a PC.

Orr said:
Labtec flat keyboard + Razer Diamondback Plasma.

I can use a controller no problem for consoles but will always prefer a keyboard and mouse if on a PC.

Well I almost couldn't believe it when i thought this thread was going to be about those kinds of controllers. Most of these are either keyboard, or keyboard type doo-hickies. :p

As for me I still have my MX duo hooked up but I use the Copperhead as my primary mouse. Still the MX keyboard. Mouse is on a func1030... textured side.

I just use a plane keyboard, its a compaq one I found at walmart for 20$, it does have a volume control wheel and varios other buttons that are helpfull to me, I don't know what I'll replace it with when It breaks though.

Anyways my generic compaq keyboard+mx518 ftw.

Z-board, love the oversized e,a,s,d key arrangement.. I have fat fingers.. Logitech Trackman wheel, an optical trackball..

saitek gaming and a logitech mx518 works great for me, the wasd keys are starting to wear out after a year + of use though. and i found the gaming keypad fairly useless so far..but the tactile respose of the keys is what i really appreciate about it, so much nicer than the standard clickety keyboard. think i need to clean it out though after all the crap ive dropped in there.

WoflClaw II and an MX518. Compact, simple and perfect for LANs. Great to type on, and doesn't cost a fortune. I have an N52, but it doesn't get used much now that I've gone off WoW.

kohan69 said:

don't you mean: woop-dee-do?

I am still using my old Logitech Elite Keyboard I got 2yrs ago (letters are coming off, have no S or D but I really dont need them,dont have to look at keyboard while I type)

They only time when I use a controller for FPS games is on the Xbox or Ps2 and my future Xbox360 which is about to be release on March 23rd down here in Australia.

Also I have a modded Xbox S control with a USB cable attacted to it if I do want to use a controller on the PC but I dont I keep the Keyboard and Mouse.

Cheapest kb I can find + MX1000, but I want to switch back to the old optical system.

Plain keyboard, and my Logitech trackball...

Sometimes my N52 + Trackball.

I have an IBM keyboard I've been using for years. Great for games the gaming keyboards are ok but they pretty much just light up and have fancy programmable buttons and functions I would never use. Plus you have to install drivers for the advanced gaming keyboards. My mouse sucks I need a new one soon but keyboard is great.

Have a zboard with a few custom keysets (BF2, Doom3, etc..), love it, would never go back to regular keyboards for gaming.

Technically I would guess I have a "gamers" keyboard... A Saitek Eclipse... It's just a normal keyboard with pretty lights...

And a mx1000 with a big ass mouse pad.

-dB

Abyss of Borg said:
I have an IBM keyboard I've been using for years. Great for games the gaming keyboards are ok but they pretty much just light up and have fancy programmable buttons and functions I would never use. Plus you have to install drivers for the advanced gaming keyboards. My mouse sucks I need a new one soon but keyboard is great.
Yeah and I have a problem of breaking my keyboards every month spilling stuff etc

Back