FPS Gaming Mice recommendations?

Manick2005

n00b
I've been using the same logitech MX1000 mouse for almost 7 years now and I think it's about time I moved on. I'm trying to play on a competitive level, but my mouse occasionally just does some very strange things. It also moves very jittery when on a standard mousepad so I'm sure that's messing up my aim quite a bit. But I have no idea what I should look for. I'm right handed, and I don't need a huge amount of buttons, just maybe 3 or 4 at most besides the LMB and RMB.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I just picked up a logitech g100s, and I'm loving it so far. It's a big throwback to the g1, so if you loved/hated that, expect the same. Do you play high or low sensitivity? Palm or claw? For competitive play, look at the g100s, g400s, intellimouse explorer 1.0/3.0, and steel series offerings. There are others but these are the ones I can vouch for.

I'm guessing you want to go cordless again or does that matter? Going from an MX1000 to the G700 is an easy transition if wireless is an issue. I made that switch and have been beyond happy.
If wireless isn't an issue, the G500's should be fine for you, too.

Personally I've gone from a Logitech MX518 -> Razer DeathAdder -> Logitech G9x. The MX518 is my favorite by a long ways. If I hadn't already dropped so much on the G9x it would be gone. The 518 for me allowed for better fine control. Can't seem to get the G9x dialed in even after 6 months in.

The 2013 Death Adder is pretty damn nice.

I like the Logitech G700s. It is probably the best wireless gaming mouse.

the logitech g9x is the mouse of all mice. fry's had a sale awhile ago for 39.99ea, i picked up three more on top of the one i am using. until new sensor tech is developed this mouse cannot be beat. its that perfect.

I just picked up a g600, i know its a mmo mouse but. have been using it for fps and its great, all the extra buttons are very useful plus 8200dpi is crazy fast.

DA 3.5 - cm storm recon/spawn - zowie AM/FK/EC eVo - logitech g400 - roccat savu

you said that you want to play on a competitive level, laser mice are still inferior to optical LEDs when it comes to 1:1 response and reliable tracking during fast swipes, fyi most competitive players use a low sensitivity and bigass clothpad

120hz monitor is a must too, you mouse will feel much more fluid at a higher display refresh rate :)

checkout Asus VG Q248 / BenQ XL2411T

Thanks a lot for all your recommendations everyone. What would be the drawbacks of a wireless mouse? I know people used to say they have a little bit of lag and respond less than instantly, and I think my MX1000 has a 6ms respond time. I barely notice it though, so does it really matter that much?

Thanks a lot for all your recommendations everyone. What would be the drawbacks of a wireless mouse? I know people used to say they have a little bit of lag and respond less than instantly, and I think my MX1000 has a 6ms respond time. I barely notice it though, so does it really matter that much?

Wireless mice have lag and the threat of dead/dying batteries.

Wired mice have the inconvenience of a cord.

Wireless mice have lag and the threat of dead/dying batteries.

Wired mice have the inconvenience of a cord.

And the potential for signal interference.

Wireless mice, keyboards, headsets are all fine if you aren't gaming or if you decide you're going to sit on a couch way away from your PC and play off a TV. If you're at a desk though I don't think "it has a wire" is that big of a drawback compared to the drawbacks of wireless.

I like the Logitech G700s. It is probably the best wireless gaming mouse.

+1. I was going to recommend the G700 but you said "competitively" and some people are weird about wireless mice for competition (even though the G700 is amazing). Then I realized the MX1000 was cordless...lol.

The G700 has no noticeable lag and if you start to run out of batteries you can either easily swap in another AA or just plug it in and run wired. Simple either way.

I broke like 5 g400s, each one the cable got fucked where it entered the mouse. No visible damage at all, but same shit that happened with the 518 cable. Which is ironic since it was literally an advertised point that they reinforced it on the g400.

Got a death adder because I was tired of sending these god damn things back to Logitech, been excellent so far. I had it spaz out once and spin but a driver update seemingly resolved that, and the scroll wheel can be slightly tempermental but holy shit shit the cable is stronger than a wet tissue.

Why not just buy a wireless mouse if you're having problems with cables breaking? Or a wireless/wired hybrid?

Why not just buy a wireless mouse if you're having problems with cables breaking? Or a wireless/wired hybrid?

Probably for all the reasons serious gamers avoid wireless. Which is why all the best mice aren't wireless.

1. There is some lag, even on the best ones.
2. Batteries can be problematic.
3. Things can interfere with the signal.

Cables breaking can be fixed with cable management or braided/sleeved cables.

I personally have the logitech g500 which I got for roughly $40, and It has just been a stellar experience in my opinion so I would recommend that.

If I was willing to speed 100 bucks on a mouse I would probably get the feenix nascita http://www.feenixcollection.com/nascita.html It seems kind of overkill for me though, but I still want it at some point or another =P

MX518 master race!

Soon as they bring it back from the grave I'll be all over it.

So far I'll not recommend a couple mice. Frankly I hate the g500 and g700. I have both. Both are poop compared to the sensei. Death adder is a good mouse the main reason I didn't replace mine that died this year was because Razor seems like they are going down hill in build quality.

I love my Razer Mamba, and it's able to be wired/wireless.. Works perfectly fine both ways. More than worth what I paid for it a few years ago after I got sick of RMA'ing Logitech G9 and G9x mice (Had three that all stopped tracking for no reason - clicks worked, laser wouldn't power on, last one Logitech told me they wouldn't cover shipping after I had only had it a day before it died - I told them they either pay shipping, or lose a customer who has given them over $1500 worth of business - They chose to lose a customer, I now use Razer gear, and have not had a single problem - Both keyboard and mouse are 2-3 years old and work good as new.)

Rat 7 is nice. Especially the customization part. I can make it big enough for my hands.

Just replaced my original G500 with a new G500. Use the old one for the office now. Best gaming mouse hands down.

I've owned the G500, Deathadder and G9x and used a bunch of random mice owned by others. I prefer the G9x. Gave away my other mice to family.

DA 3.5 - cm storm recon/spawn - zowie AM/FK/EC eVo - logitech g400 - roccat savu

you said that you want to play on a competitive level, laser mice are still inferior to optical LEDs when it comes to 1:1 response and reliable tracking during fast swipes, fyi most competitive players use a low sensitivity and bigass clothpad.
If you are indeed wanting to play on a competitive level then listed to this man's words. He is right on the money in regards to what you should be looking for if you are serious about competitive play.

Yeah, stick to optical. The pro CS players tend to stick steadfastly to them for a reason.

The Deathadder, CM Storm Spawn (NOT the recon, it has issues), newest revision of the G400, etc. All great FPS mice.

What i have found is logitech mice have shitty cables i have had 3 g9s and the cables went on all of them. and razor mice have cheap buttons. each of the 5 razors i have used had their left button die after about 6 months.

Back