FPS differences in new WoW xpac - 5850

roaf85

2[H]4U
Anyone else noticing any FPS differences between zones in the new WoW xpac with ATI cards?

My Macbook Pro with a 8600GT seems to perform about the same across all the zones in the game. Settings are around medium

My desktop however (specs in sig) seems to get 30 FPS around the new zones in the Maelstrom, while I average about 90-100 in other zones. Quality is set to Ultra and I have the latest drivers (10.12 preview).

Not sure if it is just AF that is the issue or the driver support is not there yet? Made this thread to collect thoughts? Thanks.

If you haven't heard ... Cata has a new ( turned off by default ) Directx 11 support mode.

You turn this on by adding this to your desktops WoW shortcut: -d3d11.

According to several people, there is a 30% increase in FPS.

i still run a 4890 and was leveling a Goblin well i hit orgrimmar on my 4890. there had to be over 100 people in Org. I noticed my 4890 go from a normal 70-150fps down to about 38 sometimes lower.. Since cata came out its been crazy on my 4890 fps wise. Also over 100 people sitting org was insane.

Last edited:
That's interesting. My 5870 and 460's in SLI I had would do 100 - 190fps but get to Dalaran and it drops to 40'ish FPS.

I think with the new Directx11 mode I'm running in WoW, I've not seen this number drop below 48 - 50ish with tons of people in the AH or outside in SW.

If you haven't heard ... Cata has a new ( turned off by default ) Directx 11 support mode.

You turn this on by adding this to your desktops WoW shortcut: -d3d11.

According to several people, there is a 30% increase in FPS.

Thanks. That fixed it. Back up to around 60 in almost all places now. I thought the DX11 support was enabled by default. In fact that is why I thought I was seeing what I was seeing. Issue resolved.

you can also try turning shadows from ultra to high.

the visual difference is borderline imperceivable at a fairly massive performance gain.

you can also try turning shadows from ultra to high.

the visual difference is borderline imperceivable at a fairly massive performance gain.

I totally agree with this. It's a great way to *sneak* out extra fps without any noticeable difference in IQ

Back