Foxconn Will Drain Lake Michigan to Make LCD Screens

Well to be fair only 2.5 million gallons of water will be lost to evaporation. The remaining 4.5 million gallons will beheading back to Lake Michigan laced with heavy metals. The real issue lies with the heavy metal content. Right now it is unknown if the water treatment plant is able to remove all of these heavy metals. For the sake of accountability I think the Foxconn water outlet should be right next to the proposed Waukesha fresh water inlet. Then we can really see if "they" up to the task of clean reusable water. :whistle:

Few other links:
I think we should pipe that output directly to the homes of the politicians, 1%ers, and RWNJs that think it's all a load of bunk. I'd love to see the results of drinking heavy metals.

At the rate they are draining, it would take 800,000 years to empty the lake. And that’s if it never rained again. The amount of water being used is fairly minimal.
Except the US auto industry also uses water from those lakes in even larger amounts. Plus, it's been shown that the lake levels are dropping yearly.

Agree. According to Cleveland's 2015 annual water report, Cleveland pumped an average 215 mgd from Lake Erie.
And how much of that went right back thru the sewer system? I would hazard to guess a significantly higher percentage than what Foxconn will return, not to mention significantly cleaner.

That's idiocy, from someone with obviously no science background. It won't empty, just less of it will go down the St Lawrence river and empty into the ocean. There's more than enough rain in that area to keep Lake Michigan constantly overflowing. The big problems with something like that will be the contamination in the wastewater and the additional rain (from the evaporation) it will bring to the area.

What part of the manufacturing process requires so much fresh water? I don't have any idea how LCD panels are made.

Not exactly sure "fresh water" is a great description of Lake Michigan. Maybe they need some toxic chemical that is in there today.

7 million gallons a day eh. Wonder if anyone will notice. Seriously WTH!
According to information in this study: glisa.umich.edu/media/files/projectreports/GLISA_ProjRep_Lake_Evaporation.pdf
... a 1-day loss of 0.5 inches of water from the total surface area of the Great Lakes (94,250 mi2) represents a volumetric flow rate of 820 billion gallons per day ...
Lake Michigan is 22,300 mi2, or 23.67% of the total surface area of the Great Lakes.
820,000,000,000 gallons of water x 23.67% = 194,094,000,000 gallons or 194 billion (that's billion with a b) of water evaporates from Lake Michigan every day during the fall months when the water is warmer than the air (the highest amount of evaporation of the year occurs in the fall).
Taking 7 million gallons per day is 0.0036% of that number. That's 36 ten-thousanths of 1% of the total evaporation per day.

As for the other factors like chemicals, etc., this is a big deal.
The article should have had a different title focusing on that instead of the amount of water that will be used.

The US is going to need factories to send all the debtors to in the future.

Sometimes I get the feeling that when some Americans say make America great again they are thinking about the 80s or 70s, 60s or perhaps the 50s... while perhaps your leaders are thinking more like the 1820s. I think more then a few would enjoy the ability to sign legal docs that start with "this indenture" of the historical nature that are not referencing inanimate property. (half joking I'll slink away now)

No coincidence they choose Lake Michigan, its the only Great Lake that Canada doesn't get a say in, as its entirely within the US (unlike the others). Anyways, this sounds like a terrible plan unless tightly monitored, but with Republicans at the helm of all the neighboring states, you guys can look forward to a Lake Michigan that's as polluted as Flint's water supply in less than a generation.

Last edited:
Thats pretty crazy, not sure it sets a good precedent for future companies wanting to do similar things. Meanwhile central California farming has become a desert wasteland.

Hmm. Corning makes Gorilla Glass and the glass for Aaple's products in Harrodsburg, KY with lots of these chemicals without issue. Sekisui makes the film that goes between the two layers of glass in windshields, in Winchester, KY. They use a boatload of plasticizers for that stuff to get the cold resin pliable. There are also no issues. So why everyone up in arms about needing water for cooling?

It’s not like the Kentucky river and others that feed into it can get any dirtier.

Because no one cares about inbred hicks. :p

I work in Winchester. :(

The amount of water used or returned is a pretty meaningless metric unless you don't know a damn thing about how much water is there or all of the other users of the lake's water that make this amount look like a drop inside the drop in the bucket.
The heavy metals is another matter. Or they would be, I read the article, and it is just conjecture from some guy that used to work in a factory in a different industry. Really people? They do not appear to be sure what, if any, contaminants are possibly going to be in the waste water. If all it is being used for is cooling, the water that comes out may be exactly the same as what came in, just warmer.
In short, people that don't appear to know shit, are fear mongering for whatever their purposes might be.

The government "may" not test the water properly. Foxconn "may" game the system. Maybe this maybe that.
BS article headline.
Show me some actual damn numbers, some evidence, something more than that what was in those two articles. Otherwise it is just ranting to be ignored since they don't know a damn thing about what they are talking about, and can't see past their, "corporations are evil, so this is bad and we should be against it", mind set.

Last edited:
I think we should pipe that output directly to the homes of the politicians, 1%ers, and RWNJs that think it's all a load of bunk. I'd love to see the results of drinking heavy metals.
The Mayor of Flint, MI, couldn't get that state's Republican Governor, the man ultimately responsible for the water problems of that city and the one saying the emergency is over, to drink water brought to him from a Flint tap. He and his team of flunkies should be drinking 16oz of Flint tap water a day for a year, if he believes the problem has been properly remediated.

Because all those green lawns is due to natural moisture in the air?
Because the entire industry of plants that are sold commercially to people have them grow magically out of thin air?
Because the entire food growing industry isn't a commercial purpose?
Because the growth of tobacco, cotton, and pretty much every other thing we don't eat isn't a commercial purpose?

I mean I'm sure I could go on and on, but ummm not exactly a "new precedent", and while I'm not going to stick up for any pollutants that might get put in there, it's not like fertilizers don't run off into our waterways completely changing them, or cow crap hasn't turned freshwater into contaiminated crap.

You just named a bunch of things water is used to create other forms natural resources.
I wonder how a LCD panel taste with BBQ sauce.

As if Michigan doesn't have enough lead poisoning from manufacturing in their water supply.

In some states, it's illegal to collect rain water for personal use but go ahead and use seven million gallons a day. Nothing to see here, move along. /s

It would be nice if they're able to put back some of that water and put it back almost as 'clean' as it came out. I don't know enough about the manufacturing process to really make a good judgement.

I guess it's better when China drains their lakes where we have no control, and that makes a few feel better. Somehow that's OK? For all those who think it's irresponsible and it should be carefully monitored, tell me how many LCD's do you own? No, this seems like soo many other things a knee-jerk reaction. I'd bet no one had a clue this is what it took to build an LCD before today.

For every here and NOW there is a future. The focus should be on better ways to manufacture, not give up today what we know how to do. It's about jobs, yes but it's also about being self-sufficient. What would happen if our money was no longer suitable for those countries that make all the TECH we love? The world currency is not a crazy question if you don't know what I'm talking about you need to.
Wouldn't it be good we have skilled labor and plants to make it ourselves?

No one seems is focused on the big picture. This is like electric cars and people thinking it will save the ozone when all we are doing is transferring where the emissions come from. Right now, mostly from vehicles but when every car is electric, then it will come from the power plants that recharge them. It's not the best solution so we need to focus on better ways, not tearing down what is for the future.

I won't be trading in my truck for a bicycle to get my work done, but the moment something better comes along I will take it. Look at horses, imagine we all had one, now believe the amount of methane gas from that. Ironically the same if not worse on the atmoshere. Point is we got over it we made a better future, and no matter how backward it was or is today it will get better but not by cutting off the hands that feed you.

The big picture is, it didn't take the government to fix it. It took innovation and willing support of consumers. Bottom line I believe in my fellow man. You can bet there are plenty of folks out there right now working on these problems and many more and I pray they will all be successful. In the meantime, we need to make due with what we got and do it the best way we can for ourselves instead of turning the other cheek and letting others do it for us.

In some states, it's illegal to collect rain water for personal use but go ahead and use seven million gallons a day. Nothing to see here, move along. /s

It would be nice if they're able to put back some of that water and put it back almost as 'clean' as it came out. I don't know enough about the manufacturing process to really make a good judgement.

You should read all the replies to a thread before joining in. All of your concerns have been satiated 15 times over in the last 50 replies.

Let's just say that all the fear-mongering is right: that this will dump all sorts of rare metals into Lake Michigan.

That's a WIN! I mean, think of the silt-mining opportunities! That little island off Japan (Shark's Tooth Island, or whatever) with all the rare-earth minerals around it? Well, Lake Michigan could be even better.

Stop looking at the glass as being half empty! Look at it as being half FULL!!! (Okay, half full of cloudy, poisonous water, but water which could make you a fortune.)

Oooo, look at all of the TRIGGERED Eco-weenies.

Please ignore the fact that MMSD (you know, the Milwaukee government) dumps hundreds of millions, sometime billions of untreated, raw sewage in to the lake EVERY YEAR. Everybody knows the Foxconn water will be THE MOST monitored water of all of the water use in the area. But I would find it hilarious if Foxconn had to filter the incoming water because it's already so filthy from Milwaukee's dumping.

I also get a kick out of these bullcrap water return rates. The water is either returned directly through sewers or it evaporates. The evaporated water is returned via rain back in to the LAKE!!!! It's not like Foxconn is bottling millions of gallons of water a day and shipping it out of the state.

And now for more mindless, fact-free, eco-weenie, anti-american, republicans are the devil posts...

Doesn't the federal level EPA have the jurisdiction to shut the place down if they are dumping toxic water back into the lake?

Go to the beach, take a sand castle bucket of water and dump it back into the lake and you have just dumped toxic water back into the lake.

Every year beaches get closed due to unsafe water pollution. Depending on where you fish and what you fish for you might have to worry about mercury levels in the fish. Raw sewage gets dumped right into the lake so E.coli is a problem.

"We're going to drain 7 million gallons a day to make LCD screens...f.."

Uh, no you don't. That's my water.

".. let me finish. For your new iPhone."

Oh, if you take 8 million can we get a bigger screen?

Amazing how well the liberal MSM media monster works.

Get back to me when you post some real news, and not proganda by people that hate republicans and will bitch about everything they do. If republicans started funding PP liberals would scream it needs to be shut down.

Back