Foxconn To Use Robots To Help Assemble The iPhone

HardOCP News

[H] News
Using robots to assemble iPhones? What a great idea! Just think of all the money Foxconn will save on suicide nets. :D

At a recent shareholder meeting, Foxconn CEO Terry Gou announced that the company will soon deploy robots to help assemble devices, noting that Apple will be the first company to use the service.

Was gonna mention robots not committing suicide but Steve ya beat me to it.

Watch out though, I got an infraction last week for suggesting chinese factory workers didn't take regular showers.

I wonder how long it will be before governments try to limit the use of robots in industry by trying to tax them as if they were workers? How long will it be before we punch our in own order at a fast food joint and a robot 'assembles' our burger and drops it onto a conveyor out to our waiting hands.

A significant part of corporations not hiring and unemployment / underemployment is business deciding that automation is cheaper than taxes and wages. Someday soon we see a factory full of robots, whose job it is to assemble other robots. But hey... I doubt your order will be messed up as often at the drivethrough. :)

Nothing has changed, they just had Foxconn employees reclassified as robots.

11w3_X_jpg_w_600.jpg

I have a feeling this won't end well.. instead of suiciding themselves, the Foxconn robots will, instead, KILL US ALL!!

11w3_X_jpg_w_600.jpg

I have a feeling this won't end well.. instead of suiciding themselves, the Foxconn robots will, instead, KILL US ALL!!

LOL. QFT. I'm going to stick to Samsung. Apple phones are already overpriced. I support cheap and affordable tech that doesn't involve robots. ;-)

The circle of life... mindless drones build the devices for mindless drones to use.

If I were a robotics engineer, I'd sardonically make them commit suicide after working 80 hours straight.

So Apple wants to increase iPhone sales in China by eliminating jobs? Guess Apple is content with kidney trading.

At least these robots have not [yet] been referred to as iRobots... :D

This is really good news for other countries. Countries like the USA switched to robotic aid because employee labor had climbed to the point it was worth all the R&D that goes into developing a specialized robot for a task. So clearly that means that incomes are rising in China and the days of cheap labor are starting their decline. This is probably in part why the US manufacturing base has seen a small recovery but it also is good news for other developing nations looking to be new sources of cheap labor.

I wonder how long it will be before governments try to limit the use of robots in industry by trying to tax them as if they were workers? How long will it be before we punch our in own order at a fast food joint and a robot 'assembles' our burger and drops it onto a conveyor out to our waiting hands.

A significant part of corporations not hiring and unemployment / underemployment is business deciding that automation is cheaper than taxes and wages. Someday soon we see a factory full of robots, whose job it is to assemble other robots. But hey... I doubt your order will be messed up as often at the drivethrough. :)

Some of that is already here
http://singularityhub.com/2013/01/22/robot-serves-up-340-hamburgers-per-hour/

If there's one thing I learned from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it's that robot's get depressed to.

Spidey, it was never about labor costs or skills, it was ALWAYS about ....

TAX EVASION :eek::mad::(

Wrong. It was always about labor costs. A worker here doing the same work would make like 20 times more than those poor souls overseas. Labor costs are nothing compared to the tax bill.

Back