Foxconn Plans New Iowa Plant

Interestingly, as a younger generation person, I don't care too much about the quality of my living conditions -- within reason. As long as its a reasonable climate, not too small and contains my tv, stereo or high-quality headphones, projector and consoles/PC. As well as a perhaps a mall, gym or food venues within walking distance (preferably) or a reasonable drive. That's all I really need.

I spent probably 3+ hours a day playing video games and really if I am playing in a $500k house or $200k house, BF3 on Ultra is still BF3 on Ultra, isn't it?

I am rather fond my my little $42K house myself. It is small but the 3 acres of ground around it is quite nice.

What branch did you serve in? I don't remember getting to many weekends off and when we were "working" it was 10-16 hours a day.

AF, but I work with a lot of Army, some marines and on rare occasion Navy. In garrison we work typical mon-fri 7-4 shifts w/ holidays. With shift work we work an 8 hour (constant) shift usually a 4 on 2 off shift and if its a 12 hour constant we work a panama schedule. (3 on 3 off, 2 on 2 off)

Deployment is a whole different story. Sorry your shifts suck but from talking to the rest of the forces it doesn't seem like the majority of the DoD has these "harsh" shifts while in garrison. I talk to a lot of marines, one is a certified hand to hand instructor who works less then I do, I'll have to ask him how his garrison life used to be.

Yeah not wanting to live in a company dormitory means you're entitled.

How dare people think they should have a place of their own, lol!

In Japan it is way too expensive to have a home in the big cities. (Imagine having the population of America shoved into the state of California) So people live in the far countryside where housing is at least somewhat afforable. Men commute in by train on weekends and stay in company dormatories through the week. They share bathrooms, and sleep pretty much in 8x10 rooms or smaller. They do it for their family and the company.

I know this because I worked as an engineer for a medium sized Japanese company.

And if I had to do that to support my family, I would.

My dad: Never be too proud to clean toilets if your boss ask, because it supports your family.

Why the midwest? Virtually anywhere on the east or west coast have much higher taxes, land costs, environmental laws, and other complications. In Iowa, you choose a 1000 acre stretch of land, which is nearly completely flat, and begin construction. No local homeowners up in arms about some factory near them, no environmental nut mad at destryoing a forest or migratory route, no giant areas of rock/land that needs to be flattened. Not to mention you can pay them much less as well, i'm expecting the average wages to be ~$8/hr w/ healthcare benefits only.

Actually, we have american companies outsourcing to us as well and i've worked for quite a few IT companies. In order for you to compete with us, you'll have to agree to $15-20 a day, no dormitories, and no free lunches.

I did get an offer from another companys headhunter, and they did offer half a sack of rice each month, but the pay is also lower.

Your teenagers get more money from working out of mcdonalds than our full time adult workers.

I doubt that Foxconn would actually do this. They will spend much more money paying the workers in the US compared to what they pay in China at the moment.

Back