FoxConn BlackOps - pls help with cooling

artless1

2[H]4U
If you check my sig system, I'm doing well with the FoxConn BlackOps x48 board,
and I'm using a ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme (idles 28-30C, max 55 under load).

My issue with my sig PC as it stands at present is the North Bridge temps.

Mind you, that is a Gigantic hunk of copper they placed on the north bridge chipset,
but since the BlackOps was designed for water-cooling or liquid-nitrogen, using the
fan they provided is only sotra half-ass, since the copper block is exactly that:
a big Block, and not any swell kind of heatpipes-and-fins arrangement for air cooling.

That is what is holding back my overclock right now, as odd as that might sound.

I noticed in the Hot Deals forum that RadioShack has the BigWater 735
Water Cooling setup from Thermaltake on clearance right now, if any left.

Since it's going for only $32 + tax right now, I thought I would try that out.

Anyone with hands-on experience with this WC from Tt got any input?

Thinking of getting one if avail just to run to the North Bridge on the BlackOps,
since it comes ready-made for WC I figured I could just use it for that alone.

Alternately, I would appreciate any advice on what are the best
aftermarket chipset coolers for me to choose from out there now :cool:

T.I.A. if anyone can throw their two cents worth in ;)

could youpost what the NB temps are? then we could say if its within the norm or if its excessive since it is an intel system.. the northbridges run excessively high temps due to the northbridge having the memory controller in it..

The BigWater 735 is pretty crappy. I would recommend just getting a better northbridge heatsink like the Thermalright HR-05 or Xigmatek PTR-N881.

The BigWater 735 is pretty crappy. I would recommend just getting a better northbridge heatsink like the Thermalright HR-05 or Xigmatek PTR-N881.

Thx for the input bro, I'll check them both out.

I actually thought since the BigWater 735 was WC'ing,
that it would automatically do better than air cooling :p

But as I mentioned in the OP, that TRUE Xtreme 120 is AWEsome *bows down*

So it would make sense if a ThermalRight NB chipset cooler would be better, too :cool:

I actually thought since the BigWater 735 was WC'ing,
that it would automatically do better than air cooling :p
Thermaltake and other companies who sell shitty pre-built watercooling setups rely on people with that mindset to buy their products, but in reality, a cheap watercooling setup will have much worse performance than a good heatsink. To beat out high-end air, you'll need to spend a lot more on a quality set of WC gear. As it stands, the coolers I suggested to you will be perfectly adequate for cooling your northbridge :).

Thermaltake and other companies who sell shitty pre-built watercooling setups rely on people with that mindset to buy their products, but in reality, a cheap watercooling setup will have much worse performance than a good heatsink. To beat out high-end air, you'll need to spend a lot more on a quality set of WC gear. As it stands, the coolers I suggested to you will be perfectly adequate for cooling your northbridge :).

Lol, as you can see from my temps on the Q6600, I should have already just
gone ahead and checked out what awesome NB chipset coolers T.R. makes :p

As it stands, I picked up the HR-05/IFX from SVC.com last night for $17.50 :D

And with odds and ends of super cheap clearance items I added in, I can't even tell
if there was a shipping cost - the total for USPS Priority Mail was only $8.17 !!!!

Thanks for all the input & advice, will update once I get the HR-05 in the mix :cool:

Uh hey, this has been bugging me for quite a bit, can you please show me some pics after you replaced the NB Block with your new Thermalright NB Cooler? How did you do it? It seems to me that you will have to remove the entire heatpipe assembly just to be able to install third party coolers. that also removes the southbridge and PWM heatsinks.

I just recently got my Blackops and your post kinda had me worried.

Uh hey, this has been bugging me for quite a bit, can you please show me some pics after you replaced the NB Block with your new Thermalright NB Cooler? How did you do it? It seems to me that you will have to remove the entire heatpipe assembly just to be able to install third party coolers. that also removes the southbridge and PWM heatsinks.

I just recently got my Blackops and your post kinda had me worried.

Don't be worried,my friend, I haven't had any troubles at all on that rig lately.

I had forgotten it was a whole-system heatpipe cooling setup when I ordered
the Thermalright chipset cooler, so I held off on dismantling that whole deal.

My final solution was using a CoolIT Domino A.L.C. as my NB chipset cooler :D

It works great, and gives me a lot more freedom in my OC using the BlackOps :cool:

If you use water-cooling in your rig, you can of course just tie the NB into the loops.

Back