Foxconn A79A-S 790FX/SB750 Announced

Sounds pretty good and for $230 it should be. Probably lower at e-tailers.

That's IF they can get it out the door... Blackops seems to be a paper launch two months or more after its announcement. Foxconn has to change that if they are to compete. It's the kind of company we WANT to see do well: they did the grunt work for so long, and finally have the chance to get credit for their own work. But it doesn't count if you can't get it done under your own flag. Tardiness to market is KILLING Abit when it has otherwise excellent products. It doesn't seem to realize that. And if it does, it ought to make it public, and loudly, that the reason it is perpetually late to market is because others aren't getting the chipsets to it. But Abit's problems are their own, as they get the latest worthless piece of shyte from Nvidia tootsweet, and I doubt AMD would deny them a shot at the 790FX. Abit is simply making piss-poor decisions. At least Foxconn has the cajones to man-up and present an AMD chipset with a boner. Abit's still in parochial school. Heads out of arsses on the count of three, Gentlemen. 1... 2...

That's IF they can get it out the door... Blackops seems to be a paper launch two months or more after its announcement. Foxconn has to change that if they are to compete. It's the kind of company we WANT to see do well: they did the grunt work for so long, and finally have the chance to get credit for their own work. But it doesn't count if you can't get it done under your own flag. Tardiness to market is KILLING Abit when it has otherwise excellent products. It doesn't seem to realize that. And if it does, it ought to make it public, and loudly, that the reason it is perpetually late to market is because others aren't getting the chipsets to it. But Abit's problems are their own, as they get the latest worthless piece of shyte from Nvidia tootsweet, and I doubt AMD would deny them a shot at the 790FX. Abit is simply making piss-poor decisions. At least Foxconn has the cajones to man-up and present an AMD chipset with a boner. Abit's still in parochial school. Heads out of arsses on the count of three, Gentlemen. 1... 2...

Hear! Hear! I second that post! I have two MSI boards as Abit couldn't even get the AX78 to market for nearly five months after the announcement.... It should be a rule .... no Announcements till they are in the distributor hot little hands !!!!

In a perfect world, PandaZ, in a perfect world. But there's a reason Asus and Gigabyte are such heavyweights... their persistence in getting boards to market first. It's what's earned them a priority spot with chipset manufacturers.

Well I have had two Gigabytes and was happy enough with both (My first was a 7 DXR which had a half AMD half Via chip-set and I was all Noob.... lots of troubles setting up as I was learning. I got Gigabyte help and Forum help and then used it for several years till I shorted it out) I still have a 754 board performing admirably. I guess price is the only thing keeping me away.

Two ASUS boards and was not a Noob and will never own an ASUS again.

My MSI are good, I am just not fond of the CMOS (BIOS) interface. Abit has always been way better in that department. DFI, EPoX and ASRock have been good.

I have yet to try Biostar (Want to) FoxConn (Want to) and ECS (Maybe not, but they seem to be better as of the past 2 years)

Others such as PCChips have made their bed and I am not going to lie in it for them.

This FoxConn seems pretty good to me. I'm just not in the upgrade mode ...... yet !

I know what you mean about the litany of boards. I'm awfully fond of Abit, but they're so behind the beat in terms of release and so ignorant in terms of catering to a variety of the market's segments that it's hard to consider them. I've had good luck with budget Asus boards, but had a nightmare experience with the original Striker Extreme. So I declared a year-long moratorium on Asus, but that's expired. This A79A-S is, on paper, the most compelling AMD-chipset board I've seen in a long while. I'd take the gamble.

One of the better looking Foxconn mobo's I've seen.
You've got to be kidding me. I mean, the layout itself looks ok...but the color palette mish-mash is a major eyesore :p.

I remember someone once describing the Foxconn X38A (which has this same color scheme) as "clown vomit", which seems appropriate. It's not as bad as ECS purple/rainbow, but it's still not very appealing. Their alternate mainstream color scheme (navy and yellow) is tolerable.

The Foxconn Destroyer 780a prototype looks a lot nicer than this thing (black PCB plus red/white/blue trim).

I don't care as much how it looks as how it's laid out and how it performs. But if it suffices in those two aspects then, yeah, let's lose the clown vomit. Black PCB is never out of style.

Now this is scary - it's like someone from Foxconn is snooping around reading the forum :eek:...

Thankfully, it seems that despite being the huuuuuge company Foxconn is, it's listened to the little guys and reimagined the boards into a black and orange colour scheme.

Sort of DFI-ish, but not quite as neon.

It's definitely a step in the right direction. I can just hear the marketing now... "With Foxconn's exclusive Digital-Life series, every day is Halloween. Trick-or-Treat, Byatch!!!"

I hope that through the buying of this board i can become as badass as the guy wearing headphones
20080527.jpg

looks like a nice board, though i dont think anyone will ever use/need quad crossfire. considering that the 790gx boards will be paired with sb750s, have 2x16 pci-e slots and an 8300 igp, 790fx looks a little less appealing. according to rumor the igp will process offloaded physics...

I am looking forward to getting one of the new SB750 equipped mobo's as i think at this point in time it is worth waiting for and with AM3 a ways off with the DDR3 upgrading now is a good time as any.

I just sold my Q6600 and this looks very tempting to me already. I've always been an AMD fanboy. :eek:

I just sold my Q6600 and this looks very tempting to me already. I've always been an AMD fanboy. :eek:

Quiet man! You wanna get the last remaining few of us killed? You go running off at the mouth like that and we're gonna be up to our necks in rampaging, blitzing, DQ6'ing trolls all carrying torches and pitch forks!

I'd love to see an AMD mobo that looked like below for Crossfire-

That would look awesome with a couple of HD 4870s or HD 4870 X2s installed.

Wow, thanks OldPueblo! The initial findings they have had are very interesting indeed! The board has already gone on sale here in China, listed for 1999RMB, which converts to around $285. Ouch! Bring that down closer to $200 I'm all over it. Especially if it were in Black PCB.

Wow!:eek: nice catch on the link! That was about 3 weeks sooner than I was expecting to see a 790FX/SB750 board on the market.

Now we just need some reviews! I'm curious to hear if the first of the 790FX/SB750 boards to hit the shelves have the same bios problems that were plaguing the 790GX/SB750 boards on their launch earlier this week.

From most of the reviews I read, the consensus sounded like the GX boards should have been held in the works for another 7-10 days for some final bios tweeking prior to release.

I hope the mobo boys didn't make the same mistake with the new FX boards!

I know I am waiting for an Asus version. The colors Foxconn used are just ugly and they didn't even heatpipe the SB chip. I know the last thing I want is something dumping heat by my video cards. I water cool my cpus so the only thing dumping heat in the case by the cpu area is the heat pipe, and that is 2 inches away from my exhaust fan so that heat doesn't even stay in the case.

I ordered an A79A-S, 9850 and 4GB of DDR2-1066 from the egg to replace my old 939/4400+. All of it should be here Toosdee if I'm lucky.

So, I've had it for a week now. It's rock solid at stock settings.

issues (which I can't definitively attribute to the board)

AOD doesn't detect the presence of ACC capability while in windows. If I set ACC to "Auto" in BIOS, it disables itself. If I set it manually, AOD still doesn't detect the capability. AOD's "diagram" function shows a 790FX northbridge but no compatible AMD southbridge. I've got the drivers for the chipset installed and everything's functioning normally for the most part, so I'm not sure whether it's an AOD issue, a vista issue or a motherboard issue. Is anyone using ACC successfully in Vista x64 via AOD with this board?

I've not been able to test any kind of overclocking. If I make any change, no matter how slight in AOD, it causes a BSOD. If I change anything, no matter how slight, in the BIOS, the system will not post.

Phenom 9850 + A79A-S + 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 (which tested A-OK in memtest) + 9800GTX

Thanks for the link--where was that posted on their site? (i feel like my brain is going to blow up trying to navigate the site..haha)

So, I've had it for a week now. It's rock solid at stock settings.

issues (which I can't definitively attribute to the board)

AOD doesn't detect the presence of ACC capability while in windows. If I set ACC to "Auto" in BIOS, it disables itself. If I set it manually, AOD still doesn't detect the capability. AOD's "diagram" function shows a 790FX northbridge but no compatible AMD southbridge. I've got the drivers for the chipset installed and everything's functioning normally for the most part, so I'm not sure whether it's an AOD issue, a vista issue or a motherboard issue. Is anyone using ACC successfully in Vista x64 via AOD with this board?

I've not been able to test any kind of overclocking. If I make any change, no matter how slight in AOD, it causes a BSOD. If I change anything, no matter how slight, in the BIOS, the system will not post.

Phenom 9850 + A79A-S + 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 (which tested A-OK in memtest) + 9800GTX

I have this same issue with the gigabyte board, but I've also seen others not have the issue with the same board. So I think it could be related to the OS version or something. I haven't had time to mess with it since I have 3 of the 4 machines in my house down for parts swapping/upgrades/WHS setup.

Back