Foxconn 6100/6150K8MA-8KRS Overclocking stories??

Firelord said:
New BIOS on the foxconn site. Its dated 19/01/2006 and cured my OCing problems! Couldn't boot at anything above 220. Now @ 250 OCCTing

With the new bios, I can't use the nvmonitor. It says bios doesn't support it. What are you guys using to monitor temps?
Also, even with this new bio, i'm still having problems with cold post issues. Can't go past 224.

I have the MSI K8NGM2-FID. It lacks the foxconn's OC options and has only 2 PCI slots (besides PCIe). If only the foxconn had COMPONENT and DVI output! I'd be all over it. (I'm a casual gamer and don't plan on buying a video card.) Is there ANY way to get component output for hi def TV? Through an optional bracket perhaps?

Also, could someone run 3dMark03 or 3dMark06 with foxconn's onboard video and tell me what they get? I have a X2 3800+ and using MSI's onboard video I get ~1500 for 3dMark03 and 218 for 3dMark06. From the reviews, it seems 6150 performance varies quite a bit among the boards. Much appreciated.

Just picked up this board from Newegg while waiting for the DFI RS482. Might not have to wait...

Following Eclipse's OC guide I get:

FSB OC:
-340 HTT Max before Prime Errors @ 345

CPU OC:
-Looks like my Opteron 148 can do ~2900 @ 1.44Vcore, Though I've been priming now for ~1 hr at 1.392 Vcore and 2830.

*Still need to test my memory OC. (Patriot XBLK 4800)

Can anyone reccomend a CPU Cooler when using this Board & a Qpack? I'm on stock right now.

I'm thinking Zalman...I think they make a couple diameters...maybe the narrower one? Or, will the full sized one fit? Is there somthing I should be looking at instead?

anyone?

Good going bud! Thats giving the Biostar a run! What BIOS you using? Possibly a break down of your BIOS Settings

Max FSB I get is 349 while priming. I only let this run for 2-5 min then bumped to 350 w/ Clockgen and it fails.->this is with:

2xHTT
5xCPU
1:2 RAM
also:
Vcore: 1.4 (1.392 in Cpuid)
RAM set manual to 2.5, 4, 4, 8
Hdd in SATA header 4 (It was noted that 1&2 are locked on some boards)
Disable: Both Serial, Parallel, Cool and Quiet
Maybe some other minor stuff, but that's about it.

using onboard video for now, haven't tested my Ram yet (thus the 1:2) and:
Opteron 148, stock cooling
Patriot 2x512 XBLK 4800
Antec Smart Power 2.0 500Watt
Lite-On DVDRW
74GB Raptor
Qpack case

Firelord: I still haven't checked my Bios version. I still have whaterver shipped on it. I have the new one here on a floppy and I was waiting til I hit a snag (which I have) to throw it on. I will check this week though...(system is at my office)

Anyway about the "snag":

After the Clockgen/Prime test and CPU test, I went into BIOS and bumped up my FSB to 250 and it posts, 275 posts, 300 posts...I'm checking Cpuid each time to verify my settings and everythings cool except at 300 CPUID still shows 275. I tried some different settings above 275 but CPUID still shows 275. Interestingly enough, when I open Clockgen Clock Control it also shows the setting that I chose in Bios (i.e., 290, 295, 300) but the actual speed in Clockgen's Clock window is still 275.

OK, so at this point I am still 5xCpu, HTT up to 3x, 1:2 RAM and I shut down completely. Reboot, Set FSB 279 and it takes, CPUID is cool. 285 boots but, gives me no video once I get into windows.(In hindsight, this may have just been my KVM switch flaking out on me as it does this from time to time.)

So, thinking there is somthing flakey above 280 or so, I restart, set it to 279, 10xCPU, 3xHTT, 1:2 RAM and prime for about 2hrs, cool...then I shut down...

and the snag...When I reboot, I get no post, black screen, my DVD drive tries to initialize every 10-15 seconds, but it just wont get to post. I reset CMOS and tried another cold boot at 275, no post.

->Well, I'm not in a rush to start using this sytem so, I'll mess with it for a while and see if I can figure it out. It seems that I was able to do cold boots at 5xCpu and high FSB, but not at 10x. I'm going to double check everything I did in BIOS and try to see if there is a pattern to this. If no solution, then I'll flash to the new Bios and see how that goes...

Sounds like you have the cold boot issue.... I have got that too. I sold my SD 3700+ and ordered an Opty 146 so will see how she fairs with new cpu :)

Hi all,
My first post on [H]Forum...:).
I could not find Foxcon6150 in my area, instead I bought Foxconn6100. From what I've learned, the BIOS feature is identical. I managed to get 2502MHz on Venice 3000+ at 1.568v Prime stable on stock cooler. Temp iddle 31-32 and load at 44-45, may I say this is safe?.

I have another problem that I want to see what are your guys getting. NB voltage read by Smart Guardian shows 3.3v (3.26 to be exact), while other board I've seen this value is abot 1.5v. I dont know is the reading reliable.

Can you post how much your reading on ITE Smard Guardian?.

Look here my voltage in red:

voltages4ei.gif

This voltage always this high even I reset the BIOS to default CPU clock of 1800MHz.

Thanks for looking,
wannabe

Currently priming for ~1hr and counting @

1:1 310 FSB/MEM
9x multi for 2795
Using Clockgen to get anything over 280 FSB due to cold boot issue.
(I had to go to 2T to do this. Otherwise, max at 1T for mem is ~290-295. *Need 2.9v, BIOS goes to 2.85.)

I've tested as high as 320 but prime usually halts at 1:1 320-325ish.

Board max is 349 FSB.

I have one coming from newegg that I am going to put in a Cooler Master Centurion 541 or a Qpack paired up with some Gskill and an Opty 170. How has this board fared with all the ram slots full? I want to go 4Gb. Keep in mind I am only shooting for 2.5Ghz, 250 fsb. Of course, I will take every Mhz over that I can get as well. :)

Rhino

wannabe said:
Hi all,
My first post on [H]Forum...:).
I could not find Foxcon6150 in my area, instead I bought Foxconn6100. From what I've learned, the BIOS feature is identical. I managed to get 2502MHz on Venice 3000+ at 1.568v Prime stable on stock cooler. Temp iddle 31-32 and load at 44-45, may I say this is safe?.

I have another problem that I want to see what are your guys getting. NB voltage read by Smart Guardian shows 3.3v (3.26 to be exact), while other board I've seen this value is abot 1.5v. I dont know is the reading reliable.

Can you post how much your reading on ITE Smard Guardian?.

Look here my voltage in red:

voltages4ei.gif

This voltage always this high even I reset the BIOS to default CPU clock of 1800MHz.

Thanks for looking,
wannabe

Anyone mind to tell me what is their voltage as my post above?.

Is possible install a Zalman 7700 \Thermaltake Blue Orb on this mobo?
Thanks

wannabe said:
Anyone mind to tell me what is their voltage as my post above?.

Its mis-reading the BIOS mate nothing worse than that.

Lil update from me:

New Opty 146 and currently doing 2.8GHz 1.44v 10*280 with a 166 divider. Haven't pushed it further yet. Really could do with drive strength options in the bios

I have finally gotten all (or most) of my parts, so I am about to begin putting this together. This is what I ended up with:

Opteron 170 CCBWE 0551UPMW
Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS
4 Gb of G-Skill PC3200
Cooler Master Centurion 541
Zalman 7700 ALCU
SoundBlaster Audigy2
eVGA 7900GT CO Superclock (on backorder til 3/27 at Monarch grrr)
Lite-on SHM-165H6S

I chose the Centurion case because I didn't like the thermal characteristics of the Silverstone and didn't like the build quality of the Qpack. I would have just put up with the Qpack, but also it was just too wide to comfortably fit on my desk, which my Westy eats most of. I will report back as I go.

Rhino

OOokkkk. Well, what has been a nightmare new computer weekend has ended with some good lessons:

1) The Cooler Master Centurion 541 case might look nice and uncomplicated. It is actually not much smaller than an original LanBoy and is *much* heavier. There is also *no* room to work in it. When combined with the Liberty and the 7700, there isn't way to make hardly any change without disassembling something. I will keep it just because it was cheap and it never hurts to have a spare and would make a good chasis for a PC for my son. I ended up going with a Qpack to replace it, as it provided me with another 20+4 pin (admittedly most likely shoddly) PS (I only have the Liberty for ATX 2.0) and it has a tray design that I think is invaluable in the matx form factor.

2) The 7700 fits but often time eats up much of the space within the case, whether you are talking about the qpack or the cent. The 7000 or something else probably would have been a better choice in this format.

3) The liberty really doesn't "fit" in the Qpack proper. You can install it, but there are a few pieces of metal lip in one area that conflicts with the plug area on the PS. With some dremeling it does fit flush. I lacked a dremel and it was late when I was doing it, so my lack of a dremel was replaced with needle-nosed pliers and my forearms. :)

Now, on the Foxconn, about which I can report... nothing. It appears that my board is going to need to be RMA'ed. Either that or the chip, and the board will be easier to replace.

The problem? It boots fine, then after a period of 10-20 secs, hard locks, then powers off. The temps are normal and I have regressively tested every component other than the chip and the board (I don't have another 939 proc nor another Mobo). I lean toward the board both out of somewhat wishful thinking (much easier to replace $80 board than $400 proc. ;) and the fact that the board hard locks with weird graphical glitches when using the integrated video, which wasn't seen when using the PCIe 6600. I am torn at this point whether to just give up on the matx for now, get something like a DFI Lanparty or an Asus A8N-something with a standard ATX case and then backfill the Qpack as I get the parts returned from RMA. This would mean buying another S939 chip, when I really wanted to start saving for the next rig I want to build around Christmas (conroe and DX10 video card). /sigh. My apologizes for being a complete lack on info to the table in this regard. If anyone has any better reasoning as to the source(s) of my issue, I would be glad to hear it as well. Have a great day, all.

Rhino

My system:
Foxconn 6150

XFX XFX PV-T71F-YDP9 Geforce 7900GTX 512MB

G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400

cpuz9hl.jpg

I am lost when it comes to this stuff.
First off can I flash this board with Winflash? I cant get the boot floppy to work right, prob cause all I have is a usb floppy.
Second I was told to "set fsb/ram ratio to 1:1 and lock pci 66/33" but I dont know how to do that.
Third I just want to do a basic small overclock, not looking to max out just give alittle boost. What should I be looking to change?

Any help would be great, Thanks

Dapperdan said:
My system:
Foxconn 6150

XFX XFX PV-T71F-YDP9 Geforce 7900GTX 512MB

G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400

cpuz9hl.jpg

I am lost when it comes to this stuff.
First off can I flash this board with Winflash? I cant get the boot floppy to work right, prob cause all I have is a usb floppy.
Second I was told to "set fsb/ram ratio to 1:1 and lock pci 66/33" but I dont know how to do that.
Third I just want to do a basic small overclock, not looking to max out just give alittle boost. What should I be looking to change?

Any help would be great, Thanks

anyone?

1. Yes, you can flash your bios with winflash. Just be sure you don't use the utility the motherboard came with to flash your bios. All the settings below worked for me with the 01/19/2006 Foxconn bios.

2. In your bios go to BIOS FEATURES press enter. This is the second option in the main BIOS menu.

In the BIOS FEATURES menu go to the fourth option SUPERSPEED press enter.

Here you will get a few choices the most important being:

A. PERFORMANCE OPTION----->CPU FREQUENCY----->This can be set between 200 to 450, but you will not be able to go beyond 275 in the bios.

B. HAMMER FID CONTROL--->This option controls the cpu's multiplier. You can probably set yours from 11 on down to 4. Remember CPU FREQUENCY X HAMMER FID CONTROL=CPU SPEED! I would probably set this to 10 and try for 250 on the fsb.
EXAMPLE: 250Mhz X 10 = 2.5 GHZ

C. HAMMER VID CONTROL--->This option controls your cpu's core voltage. You should probably leave this setting alone if you don't plan to overclock too much.

D. VDIMM VOLTAGE SELECT---> You will probably want to leave it at default for now.

E. VCORE VOLTAGE SELECT---> This setting adds an adjustment to your HAMMER VID CONTROL. So HAMMER VID CONTROL + VCORE VOLTAGE SELECT = CPU VOLTAGE
EXAMPLE: 1.344v + .020mv = 1.364v

3. Go back to the main BIOS menu. From here choose the 4th option ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES. Once in the following menu you will get a few more choices:

A. DRAM CONFIGURATION---> This will let you adjust your ram timings and divider.
Under DRAM CONFIGURATION set the options TIMING MODE and USER CONFIG MODE to manual. TIMING MODE will let you set your fsb/ram ratio to 1:1 by setting it to 200. USER CONFIG MODE will allow you to set your COMMAND RATE to 1T or 2T.

B. K8<->NB HT SPEED---> You will have to set this to 4 if you plan to overclock even a little over the default 200 CPU FREQUENCY.

C. NB-->SB HT SPEED---> Same as above

D. NB<--SB HT SPEED---> Same as above

nice little board , i got it today and my opty 165 is @310x9, not at the limit yet , im keeping this board and will get rid of the Biostar v soon :D

06103104da.jpg

Right mines at 290*10 1.5v on an Opty 146 and dead stable at that. I have also emailed foxconn and they have sent me a new BIOS dated 3/30/06 with ability to change Drive Strengths ;) so hopefully should get higher results too!

does anyone here want to buy my Foxconn board for like, $50? I'm going to switch to watercooling soon and the case is going to have very little airflow because of an external passive rad, and the IGP chip gets really hot with decent airflow, making me shudder at the idea of undervolting all the fans in my rig to 5V. Damn thing uses a clip to hold down the heatsink too... :mad: Going to switch to a Gigabyte GA-K8N51PVM-9RH soon, gotta get rid of my board. PM me if you're interested, it's otherwise a rock solid board.

found a person to sell it to! Buh-bye Foxconn, helloooooo Gigabyte!

On topic: I'll try OCing on stock cooling later today, I'll post my highest clockspeed.

Hi!
Can anybody give a link or send by e-mail a good BIOS (for OC-ing) for the Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS MOBO?

I'm about to run an X2 3800 on one of these boards. Really great thread going here, I think this mobo has great OCing potential. I'm shooting for 2.4 on stock volts. Any advice as to what to set the ratios as?

My Computer

Anybody tried an OC on the newer Foxconn 6150 K8MD-8EKRSH yet?

It includes both VGA and DVI video out ports on the backplate.

Got one on the way plus a 3800 X2 to go with it.

saabman said:
Anybody tried an OC on the newer Foxconn 6150 K8MD-8EKRSH yet?

It includes both VGA and DVI video out ports on the backplate.

Got one on the way plus a 3800 X2 to go with it.

I discussed my experience with the 6150K8MD-8EKRSH here.

saku said:
I'm about to run an X2 3800 on one of these boards. Really great thread going here, I think this mobo has great OCing potential. I'm shooting for 2.4 on stock volts. Any advice as to what to set the ratios as?
My Computer
I've got a 3800+ x2 with stock cooling at 2.4Ghz w/ 240Mhz and 166Mhz divider for the ram at 1.4vCore. My ram can't OC too well, and there's no 9:10 (180Mhz) ram divider :mad: Is there a newer bios with better ram divider options?

foxconn 6150k8ma-8ekrs (cant remember which bios i'm running on, lol, i'll check later)
athlon64 x2 3800+ w/ stock hsf (upgraded from a 3200+)
ocz platinum el 2gb 2-3-2-5 1t
wintv pvr250
fusion hdtv3 gold q
looking for a new case...

My Foxconn 6150K8MA-8KRS just arrived yesterday.

I just wanted to try something different than dfi rs482 (which really rocks!)
because of my nvidia video card, so now the system is all nvidia.

With the stock bios, i'm running at 250x11 @ 1.45 vcore and ram at 250 mhz.
No problems at all.

This weekend i'm gonna do some heavier tests, just to check if this foxconn
will act better than dfi, stuck at 275x11 and ram 1:1

Which is the best bios for this foxconn? The last one? :confused:

Thanks

@FireLord: could you pls upload that BIOS dated 3/30/06?

Anyone flash the latest BIOS? I have and the machine does not shutdown when you shutdown or gointo hibernate/standby!

I'm having trouble with this board, for some reason i can only get the Vcore to +.80v, if i raise it any higher windows boots, but in 4 color bit-depth and at 800x600 :confused:.

I think its the power supply, as im using the stock Q-Pack PSU (a sin i know!) can anyone confirm this before i buy another? Cheers

Hello people.

i'v just bought the 6150-k8ma mainboard, and i must say its not a bad card.
Anyway, i come here to ask a little question. I can't set the FSB higher than 295 Mhz, it's seems silly that some people can go up to 350. Could you post some infos about ur settings ?

Mine is :

- Athlon 64 3000+ (1,8ghz venice core) @ 2620 mhz
- FSB => 295 mhz
- DDR => 166 mhz
- k8-HT => 3x

The rest is stock settings. I must say that the probleme isnt the memory since at 133 mhz i cant go higher than 295 fsb too, and K8-HT dont seems to be the prob too.

Thanks in advace.

Back