Fox DVD creates Two Classes of Discs

big meh... i only watch special features when i'm starved for entertainment on a midnight shift or something and i work about 3 of those a year.

I hate to break it to them but this isn't going to make me decide to buy instead of rent...

I very rarely buy a movie because the price is too high. Hell, it's already too expensive to rent a movie. It costs me over $7 to rent a movie in Canada at Blockbuster...

Buying a movie for $35+tax is also not an option unless it's a truly spectacular movie and that doesn't happen very often. I still don't even own a single Blueray movie.

The movie industry doesn't like it when people rent their movies because they don't make as much money at it, so they want to make it seem as though you aren't getting the full experience by omitting something because you made a decision to rent. I agree with other posters in this thread who say this is a bad idea because it will drive the price of movies up further because now they have to do two separate pressings which will cause costs to go up. Cost to purchase the movies going down to ~$20 is what they need to drive sales.

Let's not forget that movies are compressed for special editions. Often the movie is compressed further and quality suffers to put all that extra stuff on the disk. Will the Rental version have improved visual quality?

I highly doubt they would make a different encode just for a stripped down release. It would cost to much money to do that so don't expect them to use higher bitrate video.

I agree with other posters in this thread who say this is a bad idea because it will drive the price of movies up further because now they have to do two separate pressings which will cause costs to go up. Cost to purchase the movies going down to ~$20 is what they need to drive sales.

And I will reiterate that this is an ignorant statement, because most DVDs already have 2 versions.

The price point of DVDs is well below $20.00 (unless you only purchase from places that charge MSRP for movies). Only deluxe versions cost more.

If you mean BD, there's no real difference. The digital copy that some BDs come with is on a seperate disk, so omitting it doesn't change how they press the disks. Hell, some (most?) of the movies that have a digital copy have also been sold without a digital copy (see Wall-E 2D vs 3D BD release).

Personally, I don't care for the commentaries or any of the extra crap. I got a few "box sets" and I can say I have never watched the deleted scenes, behind the scenes, or, any of the interviews. I don't think I've ever pulled the map out of the LOTR movie either.

Personally, I don't care for the commentaries or any of the extra crap. I got a few "box sets" and I can say I have never watched the deleted scenes, behind the scenes, or, any of the interviews. I don't think I've ever pulled the map out of the LOTR movie either.

If you didn't watch the extras for LOTR SEs, you're missing out. They did a lot of cool stuff to make those movies.

I find the extras on Kevin Smith's movies worth watching and the commentaries are normally pretty damn funny. If you don't like extras, then you can buy the cheap versions of movies and save a few bucks.

The entertainment industry is going back to its position when the world economy was poorer. Remember the feudal days, when jesters and the other entertainers were at the bottom, below even peasants? I dont know about you, but I think it's a bit ridiculous these people get paid millions to do something of no real importance to society. When the economy goes bad, people buy stuff they need, like food and hookers (Vegas will never die). Anyways, it'll be a nice change of pace if entertainers are ever treated like what they are (professional liars) as opposed to idols, and people that actually do stuff (doctors, scientists.. hell, even farmers) get the respect they deserve.

/rant

The sooner we, as a culture, forget about Hollywood, the sooner we'll become decent organisms again.

Back