Founders Edition Early Adopters Paper Tax for 20 Minutes @ [H]

I'm still getting the run-around from Nvidia. "It will definitely ship today or tomorrow" = every day since last Friday morning. If they don't ship it today, I'm cancelling my order.

I'm so sick of this 28nm, 20nm, 16nm crap - do people really buy their video cards based on the fabrication node?
The best is now that 16nm is here, people have moved the goal post again and complain that the 1080 is "cut down". Duh! This is how NVIDIA does it every year - since the 6xx generation.
Fabrication, cut down, whatever - doesn't matter. Buy on performance and price.

I consider Fabrication node on everything I purchase. Processors, controller cards, ice cream.. You could also say DUH! Of course it's faster.. they make a faster card every year. The new fab = lower power. I like to know they're keeping up. AMD doesn't always keep up, and as things get smaller.. NVIDIA will likely have similar issues.. So going forward, yea.. I wanna know.

Fucking despicable, if not expected.

I gave them a hard time on live chat about it:

user.png
Vivian Z.: Thank you for the information and holding, Marc. We do not price match with our ebay store. You may make the purchase on our website when the item is available.
user.png
MARC: That's not cool, especially for your loyal customer. Where I come from such practice is called "scalping", and it should be below you guys. It's sad that you practice it.
agent.png
Vivian Z.: I do apologize about this, Marc. However, there's no way for us to price match with our ebay store. This is our policy.
user.png
MARC: Interesting that you don't make this available in your own store.
user.png
MARC: At the very least I'd like to buy one from your online store then.
agent.png
Vivian Z.: I would like to assist you if I were able to. I will forward this feedback to our related department and we will further check this on our ends.
user.png
MARC: Lol, that's like saying: "We intentionally practice scalping, but we'll pretend like we give a damn."

I'm primarily surprised they didn't scalp on their main store. My assumption is that nvidia is really serious about the founders editions. They MUST be priced at $699.

I hypothesized over on the AMD thread that the reason for the underwhelming 480 launch was that AMD had poor yields on the new processes after the die shrink. Maybe Nvidia is having the same issue, but rather than only launching a mid range part at this point while they work out the issues, they instead went ahead and launched their top end part and just very aggressively bin in order to get some out the door.

This could explain the near non-existent inventory

Reactions: N4CR
like this
After getting my problems resolved with Nvidia, they refunded my shipping. After being pretty irritated with them, I'm 100% satisfied now.

This is what happens when people swallow hype. Manufacturers leverage that hype to gouge and get PROFITSSSSSSS

It seems like the NVIDIA store is getting replenished on a daily basis--they shipped out my card on Wednesday and I got it from FedEx yesterday (along with a refund of the 1-day shipping) so I can't complain too much. Got it installed in my mini-ITX Hadron Air enclosure (tight fit!) and now it is running like a champ hooked up to my Predator x34 for G-Sync enabled. So far I've only had a chance to play a few games with it but the damn thing is near silent and I can only just barely hear the fan when gaming--all while really upping the ante on my gaming experience. Nice job NVIDIA!

I couldn't be happier. My goal is always to reach 1080p/60. I fired up every game I currently have installed (roughly about 15) and cranked every detail to the max. AA and proprietary Nvidia nonsense, too. Every single one was pushing over 60fps and never dropping below. A few, like GTA5, can nearly do it in 4K mode as well.
This is the "final 1080p" card and single-card 4K solution I wanted. Obviously it can't push 4K in everything, but with some tinkering and going with more moderate detail settings it can probably come close.
I also appreciate the quiet. Even with the fans going wide open, it's still quieter than my PS4 right beside it.

I couldn't be happier. My goal is always to reach 1080p/60. I fired up every game I currently have installed (roughly about 15) and cranked every detail to the max. AA and proprietary Nvidia nonsense, too. Every single one was pushing over 60fps and never dropping below. A few, like GTA5, can nearly do it in 4K mode as well.
This is the "final 1080p" card and single-card 4K solution I wanted. Obviously it can't push 4K in everything, but with some tinkering and going with more moderate detail settings it can probably come close.
I also appreciate the quiet. Even with the fans going wide open, it's still quieter than my PS4 right beside it.

Willing to try GTA V for me again? When I turn MSAA to 8x I get dips into the thirties with a Titan X @1500mhz with a 1080 screen. Hard for me to believe a 1080 is keeping it above 60fps with max settings.

Willing to try GTA V for me again? When I turn MSAA to 8x I get dips into the thirties with a Titan X @1500mhz with a 1080 screen. Hard for me to believe a 1080 is keeping it above 60fps with max settings.

Sure. I only played it for 3-4 minutes (near Trevor's house) but I was pulling 60fps with nearly everything all the way up in 4K mode. I believe MSAA was only at 2, however.
Not sure I'll have a chance tonight, but I should have time to put it through its paces in the morning.

Sure. I only played it for 3-4 minutes (near Trevor's house) but I was pulling 60fps with nearly everything all the way up in 4K mode. I believe MSAA was only at 2, however.
Not sure I'll have a chance tonight, but I should have time to put it through its paces in the morning.

Cool, I'd appreciate it. :) I'm not expecting it, but if the 1080 somehow handles AA better than the Titan X on GTA V it would be enough for me to upgrade to a 1080 instead of getting a 1070 for the gf, lol.

Cool, I'd appreciate it. :) I'm not expecting it, but if the 1080 somehow handles AA better than the Titan X on GTA V it would be enough for me to upgrade to a 1080 instead of getting a 1070 for the gf, lol.

Okay, just tried it out. I'm getting 60fps (with 2 drops to 58fps) over the course of 5 minutes of driving around town and in the desert. Literally everything is maxed except for motion blur and I didn't mess with the resolution scaling. I tried it with both 8x MSAA and 4xMSAA with with Nvidia TXAA enabled.
Because it's GTA, it wouldn't shock me if the same still bottomed out in certain places. However I feel pretty confident that you'd be at 60fps for nearly the whole time. At least assuming your CPU isn't holding you back. No clue if GTA is CPU dependent, but I'm on a 4970 at 4.6ghz for reference. Not the absolute best, but still pretty solid.

Oh yeah, I should mention that it's using some very basic OC settings: +90 core clock and +400 on memory.

Got it installed in my mini-ITX Hadron Air enclosure (tight fit!)...

Couldn't be much tighter than putting a Twin Frozr II/OC MSI GTX 580 card into that kind of case... which is what I have in my Hadron. It's generally the absolute longest card that you can still angle into the case to get one to go in... and even then the edge of the card scrapes on the case. 268mm for this. I can't find any concrete dimension specs online for how long these founders edition cards are, so as long or shorter than 10.56" it would have to be...

FYI - for the folks that have 1080 cards and notice your fans randomly firing up at full blast, it's apparently a driver issue.

GeForce GTX 1080 Fan issues to be solved with driver update

Not sure if today's WHQL fixes it or not, but I noticed this here and there on mine. I actually thought it was my CPU liquid loop, but it seems it's a 1080 thing.

It should be fixed in the 368.39 driver that just released, It's in the release notes as a fixed Windows 10 issue. I hadn't noticed it until I started overclocking my Gigabyte FE over the weekend.

Back