Founders Edition Early Adopters Paper Tax for 20 Minutes @ [H]

Want something even more sad, look at "Sold Listings", fools and their money are quickly parted.

I wish I was a greedy, heartless, capitalist that would take the risk to make a quick buck..........nah, I want my damn card in my machine. Not selling my precious!

Kyle, you know I'm a big fan of the [H], but you went a little too far with the "36 sold" thing.

So, NVidia has already made hundreds of thousands of dollars of extra profit off what I think of as there "Gold iPhone for stupid rich people" Fools Edition, and
at the same time, by shipping "only thousands" of units, they have preserved a lucrative market for their AIB partners. Imagine how those wonderful engineers at ASUS, EVGA, et al. would feel if the Fools Edition edition had MSRP'd for $600 and had shipped in enough volume to meet the demand - they'd feel like they might need to get their resume on the street.

And really, the FE card is still a great deal compared to the previous generation of cards (or the competition's). No one is harmed by it. And sometimes it's a public service to separate a fool from his or her money.

All and all I think NVidia has served itself and it's AIB partners well with this strategy, and served the rest of us well by bringing us a lot more GPU performance at a much lower price than we've ever seen before. I can wait anthoer week for that.

I'm even OK wit the reviews coming out a week (or two) before cards were available - it let me plan a little better. As long as they are honest with when the cards will be readily available and the reviewed cards represent what will be sold, why not let us learn in advance about it? Think of all the people who were saved from buying a 980Ti in the past week ...

Kyle, you know I'm a big fan of the [H], but you went a little too far with the "36 sold" thing.
You do realize that is a joke to poke fun at the cards selling out so fast, right? I have several folks that got numbers on what was sold this morning, but the figures are too far apart so those are not reliable to publish. So I went with a joke....36.

I work for a Canadian retailer with 7 large stores and our first allocation is 100 cards from EVGA over about a 2 week period, and only 15 from MSI. So not much to go around....

Microcenter send out an email blast this morning about the 1080 FE but I can't find it on their website anywhere. Not that I'm buying one, just saying.

Yeah I think the Ebay scalpers are the only ones winning this game. Well, besides Nvidia.

Edit - OK I found them. MC website hides stuff that's out of stock by default.

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Still time for an article critical of Intel today for the fanboy trolling trifecta. :) Not that there is much real debate around CPUs these days.

Bashing both sides in one day. Impressive.

And not one word about this article from the people screaming bias against AMD...yet again.

Kyle, maybe you should try releasing the Nvidia bashing article first next time.

-edit- nvm the whiners at OCN and [H] are still going at it and still haven't noticed. That tactic may not work. Those fanboy goggles have some strong filters on them.

They have the advanced goggles with horse blinders on them as well!

Just a wacky theory, but nVidia may be holding back supply in case Polaris-11 turns out to be another Radeon 4870. That is, Polaris-11 is $350, and performs between the GTX1070 and GTX1080 (much like the $300 Radeon 4870 performed between the $450 GTX260 and $650 GTX280) and to save face nVidia drops the prices of the GTX1070 and GTX1080 to reasonable levels, and sends Refund Checks to "Founders" like they did with the GTX260 and GTX280.

Want something even more sad, look at "Sold Listings", fools and their money are quickly parted.

Ya know, I sell random stuff on Ebay now and then so I know first hand that after Ebay and Paypal fees, you're only collecting roughly 85% of the sale price. So these guys selling for $1000 are really only making a hundred bucks or less depending on free shipping, etc. Assuming they walked into a Retail store when they opened and bought them and paid sales tax etc. So yeah I guess it's an easy $100 but considering how scammy Ebay has become I don't know that I'd be willing to take that risk for a hundy.

Now if someone acquired their stock via non-retail means and didn't have to pay sales tax.... the margins increase a bit. Still a risky game I wouldn't want to play.

Omg more AMD Bias!!!!!!!

Seriously. Did anyone expect a huge amount of cards? I think Kyle nailed it on the head. 36 in North America!

Had one literally in my cart about 10 minutes ago. Just could not bring myself to pay that shitty EAT-ME Tax. Backed out of it....twice already I will wait. Must resist!

Calling the FE price an "early adopter's tax" is ignorant. Nvidia's messaging on the price has been terrible, but charging more for the FE is necessary. Nvidia does not want to compete with and piss off their AIB partners, but noticed a demand for reference design cards (see, for example, the popularity BestBuy GTX 970 "reference design" cards). The only way to fill that demand without pissing off their AIB partners is to sell reference cards at higher than normal prices.

The fact that reference designs are often all that's available at launch means they need to charge a higher price for launch cards. This is not so much a "tax the early adopter" play as it is a case of "don't piss off our AIB partners". Nvidia completely screwed up by not messaging and handling this launch better, but you should at least try to understand what's really going on. An extra $100 across a few thousand launch cards is peanuts to Nvidia, they're not jumping through these hoops for that.

Complete bullshit. Charging more for the FE was not necessary. How do we know this? Because this is not actually the first video card launch ever, nobody did it before, and yet the world did not end.

Nvidia charged more for the FE for one very simple reason-- they like money.

"NVIDIA's normal reply would rattle off something like, "Well Kyle, we had so many that they were falling off the truck on the way over, and since GTX 1080 is so freaking awesome there is no way we could keep up with demand. We are as surprised as you are"

this truck?!

hahahahaha

Perfect.

Stock seems to have been slim pickings lately for a lot of releases, not just limited to Video Cards. I would think that these manufacturers would start to realize that enthusiasts are willing to buy a lot more product on release date then they seem to think we are.

I ordered from Evga. It's shipped and scheduled for delivery by noon tomorrow.

One interesting bit of news out from the retailer Overclockers here in the UK.
The employee who sources the products is saying custom AIBs will be expected to be sold in next couple of weeks.
But stocks of these will be low; considering they managed to source a moderate amount of FE models I am taking them at their word on this.

Hi there

I am proud to announce OcUK has the worlds largest range of custom GTX 1080 for pre-order, stocks shall be arriving over next few weeks throughout June and we expect quantities to be small. So pre-ordering early shall secure your place nice and early in the queue:
** OcUK HAS 21 CUSTOM GTX 1080 MODELS READY FOR PRE-ORDER !! ** - Overclockers UK Forums
I emphasised-bold the key points.

I think they may be doing a bit of a salesman mentality with the 'worlds largest range' comments though :)
It does show though that there is a nice range of pricing around the custom AIBs, better than many would expect due to the rrp of the FE compared to the manufactured suggested retail price for custom AIB.
Cheers

Last edited:
Quote Removed - I have been banning all day 1 post guys today that have signed up to gripe, bitch, and moan in one way or another. If you want to bust my balls and have been here a week, go for it. :) - KYLE

This guy created a new account so he could hide the fact that he complained about the "tax" and swore to never purchase one but did anyways.
Ha ha, very funny...

That comment removed was most likely mine from a new account I created due to me having issues trying to get into my old account (this account). I wasn't bitching, griping, nor trolling. I was just adding myself to the list of people that managed to get an order in of the FE model, my reasons, along with some other opinions. Kyle was kind enough to fix my old account, so here I am. Below is a brief synopsis of what I wrote earlier:

Having multiple sites open and doing frequent refreshes starting around 8:50am EST, I saw around 8:55am that Nvidia's site started accepting orders. I managed to get my order in and an invoice e-mailed to me by 8:58am. I received an e-mail around 3:45pm confirming my GTX 1080 has shipped and I should expect it by Wednesday, June 1st. I am a little annoyed that it isn't arriving sooner considering I chose the 1-2 day shipping option, but I guess it is due to the holiday and the fact it is shipping out so late on Friday.

Some people are disgruntled by the "Nvidia Tax" and complain by calling those that are willing to pay the premium "idiots" and wonder why they want an "inferior" cooling system when better cards will be out in a few weeks. Yet there are some people, like myself, who actually have legitimate reasons for buying the "Founders Edition" over "superior" custom boards that don't fall under the "I have to have it first" mentality. It would have been nice, at least, if Nvidia would have softened the blow by offering some free software of a new top tier game (Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Doom, and Overwatch come to mind). But I guess there is no point for Nvidia to offer incentives when they know very well people will pay the premium for the cards without it. Well played, Nvidia, well played.

My main reasons for buying an FE card instead of waiting is due to me recently building a new PC where decided downsize from a huge Fractal Design Define XL with tons of fans to a Corsair Obsidian 250D mITX case that is pretty much fully loaded. While my MSI GTX 970 Gaming 100ME 4GB is a great card and worked well in my large case, its recirculating fan design doesn't do as well in the SFF case. I am limited to pretty much one case fan (not including the two 120mm fans on my H100i V2), so the GTX970 and its recirculating fans don't do much in the way of exhausting the warm air. Even with the side panel having an intake, the panel get pretty warm and I can feel some warm air seeping out but not being blown out. And while the case overall performs very well when it comes to airflow and keeping things cool, it is no miracle worker. This is where a blower style heatsink would be more beneficial, cooler air constantly gets pulled in and the hot air gets exhausted outside the case. The card will run better and the inside of my case will run cooler. And since I don't foresee one of the AIBs releasing a card with a superior blower style heatsink, I am pretty much left with the FE model. And since I don't see the price dropping anytime soon, there isn't much of a point in waiting.

Along with building my new PC, I upgraded my monitor to a 4K display. While my GTX 970 was able to handle pretty much anything I could throw at it in 1080P, it certainly starts to struggle with some games at 4K. Otherwise, I would have most likely kept my GTX 970. It is also the reason why I decided to go with the GTX 1080 instead of the GTX 1070. I typically don't upgrade my video card this frequently. I usually will by upper mid tier card and then upgrade about halfway through my PC's life cycle. The 4K monitor really did push me over the edge in buying one, but it was the need of a blower style heatsink that encouraged me to buy now instead of waiting for a custom board.

Luckily, I do have someone interested in buying my old GTX 970 when my GTX 1080 arrives. That will offset some of the cost. On top of that I have some people interested in buying my old, but still fast, PC (i7 3770k with 16GB RAM) and monitor. If both of those sell, I would be coming out ahead.

Complete bullshit. Charging more for the FE was not necessary. How do we know this? Because this is not actually the first video card launch ever, nobody did it before, and yet the world did not end.

Nvidia charged more for the FE for one very simple reason-- they like money.
To be fair, that can be said for any company, their sole objective is to make money.

Not that I'm liking any of this, stuff like early adopter hardware and pay-for-beta-access video games, and I think it will only get worse in the future. But ultimately the market speaks, and so if consumers are willing to buy into these things, then we can't fault the company for taking the money people are so eager to give them. Just take a look at Star Citizen, people are buying virtual stuff that only exist in concept arts. It's insane to me, but people are doing it anyway.

As I suspected, $699 is the real MSRP, not $599. So, the 1070 is a $449 card. I'm sure we'll EVENTUALLY see cards approaching the advertised MSRP, just not within the launch window.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I was able to get two of these on Amazon right around 9 AM ET: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeFo...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00. Got next day delivery and showing Wednesday as the arrival date. However my card hasn't been charged yet and Amazon is showing no progress on the shipping. And I've not been able to order the new SLI bridge. I've not bought a new GPU on laugh day for 4 years but all this was par for the course in my experience at launch. Low supplies and people, price gouging and people bitching about both. But if I get both cards Wednesday it would be a smooth transaction based on my dated experience.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got #36 card at 6:30PM EST LOL.Comes with offical you are the King ring and free hambugers at burger king for a year.

I live in Canada and I am paying the early tax .Got a 1080FE for 899+tax in Canada.The better cards are cheaper but I do not give a fuck nor will I ever care about the price.Anyway

True there are cards with more fans and cheaper that may not overclock any better than a hot and noisy reference card.If they do you may get 2-3fps at max overclock.So I will buy one of them also for SLI but I can not buy a HB SLI bridge yet.

Also will be waiting on AMD cards to show up so I can dump the Nvidia cards for the best price.
AMD,AMD,AMD,AMD,AMD,AMD,AMD,AMD,AMD,AMD,AMD,AMD,AMD,AMD,AMD

And I wish I could buy one of these cards today.
GeForce GTX 1080 PHOENIX 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card

Last edited:
Thank you :)

I'm really excited about getting them. I wonder if the ASUS Rog 3 Way SLI bridge will be okay for these: https://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/dBG3FXQwdM5YJx1K/img/3way-photo.jpg

I am planning on running 2 Way SLI. Someone posted that a third GTX 1080 should be used for PhysX. Now that's just silly. If I really want a dedicated PhysX card, I can always use a GTX 950 2GB, should be more than enough. Just my two cents.

You can use old bridges they'll just run at the old speed. That one might run at the new speeds... I can't recall. There's a chart someplace...

Here: It's true: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 officially supports only 2-way SLI setups

Reactions: STEM
like this
Supply seems pretty good in Canada, lots of places seem to still have stock, I don't care I'm waiting for the custom cards. Maybe that has something to do with it not being a holiday this weekend here.

Thank goodness all I play is Mahjongg so I don't have to deal with this bullshit.

LOL....nice article, Kyle. Silly GPU shenanigans these days, between AMD's drama and nVidia's paper launch.

Can we just get 3DFX back already?

S3 is still around, Kyle should write a bias article about them!

This "article" is interesting to me - after reading the great AMD article about their inner-workings this article kind of reads as an attempt by [H] to shush any people that state they have NVIDIA bias.

I just posted in another thread about this - but I had multiple opportunities to buy cards and ended up getting a couple from EVGA. If you wanted one and tried - you could get cards.

I had an entire text ready to post about the FE really was an early adopters tax and then I got busy and forgot to post it. Oh well, I am always a day late and a dollar short.

This "article" is interesting to me - after reading the great AMD article about their inner-workings this article kind of reads as an attempt by [H] to shush any people that state they have NVIDIA bias.

I just posted in another thread about this - but I had multiple opportunities to buy cards and ended up getting a couple from EVGA. If you wanted one and tried - you could get cards.

Let me clue you in, Ive been here since 2000... Kyle doesn't pander to any corporate bullshit. And he sure doesn't pander to folks like you and me ;)

As I suspected, $699 is the real MSRP, not $599. So, the 1070 is a $449 card. I'm sure we'll EVENTUALLY see cards approaching the advertised MSRP, just not within the launch window.
How are you reaching that conclusion?
Here in the UK the custom AIB 1080 can be had at the cheaper end from £525 to £550 - will not be in stock for a couple of weeks as that is when they start to go on sale.
The 1080FE at the cheaper end is £620 to £635.
Some of the FE models are even more than that due to the quirks of the AIB partner and their extra support-guarantee/etc, is it worth that excess hmmm
So the MSRP is working over here, and these prices also are slightly increased with the retailer making a bit more due to the stock-popularity of these cards; they sold out of their 1080FE in 7 minutes, and that was 500 cards.
The Next Generation: GeForce GTX 1080 | OVERCLOCKERS UK

Edit:
Also this post shows that they are varying price: EVGA Pricing on GTX 1080 and the EVGA basic models are pretty close to the MSRP - closer than I expected tbh.
$610 - stock clocked, no frills blower (reference board)
$620 - stock clocked (reference board), ACX cooler
$650 - super clocked (reference board), ACX cooler
$680 - FTW (custom board), ACX cooler
$700 - Founders Edition (reference board), fancy blower
$700+ - Classified (custom board), ACX cooler

Cheers

Last edited:
How are you reaching that conclusion?
Here in the UK the custom AIB 1080 can be had at the cheaper end from £525 to £550 - will not be in stock for a couple of weeks as that is when they start to go on sale.
The 1080FE at the cheaper end is £620 to £635.
Some of the FE models are even more than that due to the quirks of the AIB partner and their extra support-guarantee/etc, is it worth that excess hmmm
So the MSRP is working over here, and these prices also are slightly increased with the retailer making a bit more due to the stock-popularity of these cards; they sold out of their 1080FE in 7 minutes, and that was 500 cards.
The Next Generation: GeForce GTX 1080 | OVERCLOCKERS UK

Edit:
Also this post shows that they are varying price: EVGA Pricing on GTX 1080 and the EVGA basic models are pretty close to the MSRP - closer than I expected tbh.
$610 - stock clocked, no frills blower (reference board)
$620 - stock clocked (reference board), ACX cooler
$650 - super clocked (reference board), ACX cooler
$680 - FTW (custom board), ACX cooler
$700 - Founders Edition (reference board), fancy blower
$700+ - Classified (custom board), ACX cooler

Cheers

You do realize that 525 british pounds is ~$760 US and 620 pounds is ~$900 US? You just confirmed what he said.

I live in Japan but always buy my video cards from the US because of the markups here. That said, they are in stock over here in a bunch of places. Amazon.jp and Yodobashi Camera are a couple examples. Just FYI incase you want to throw some money away.

Back