Founders Edition Early Adopters Paper Tax for 20 Minutes @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Founders Edition Early Adopters Paper Tax for 20 Minutes - May 27th is finally upon us and now we all understand NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 1080 Paper Launch. Low stock on the new GTX 1080 is the theme, but at least Newegg held true to the Founders Edition MSRP. And NVIDIA was not going to sneak by this time, not that they thought they could get away with it twice.

Holy shit, so much bias against NV in this article. No wonder the site's colors are red and black! The tone of the wording is so wrong and not professional at all. The tone is all wrong!!!!!

I guess I will stick with Reddit and youtube from here on out to get actual non-biased reviews/news!!!!

;)

Holy shit, so much bias against NV in this article. No wonder the site's colors are red and black! The tone of the wording is so wrong and not professional at all. The tone is all wrong!!!!!

I guess I will stick with Reddit and youtube from here on out to get actual non-biased reviews/news!!!!

;)

I recommend the Anandtech forums or AdoredTV for non-biased commentary.:vomit:

Not unusual to see price-gouging and retailers running out of stock on day one.

One thing is for sure though, the FE really was an early adopter's tax. While AIBs may have been permitted to sell their cards today, none did.

I managed to snag two of them from NVIDIA's Digital River online store (I hate buying from there). I was cheap and got the FedEx Ground shipping, so if I'm lucky and they ship out today, I'll have them on Tuesday next week :)

I managed to snag two of them from NVIDIA's Digital River online store (I hate buying from there). I was cheap and got the FedEx Ground shipping, so if I'm lucky and they ship out today, I'll have them on Tuesday next week :)
You are the first contact I have had with someone that actually bought the card! Congrats on your quick clicking.

Reactions: STEM
like this
If you were around at 9AM ET this morning you could have purchased cards from Best Buy online, and the Nvidia direct store has had them in stock at multiple times. I added to my cart a couple times before slapping myself and backing away.

Nvidia's store has had them in stock several times throughout the day. I got one roughly 4 hours ago.
Per what's going on in the other threads, seems that the various Microcenter B&M stores got 20-30 each, but they're long gone since they opened an hour early for the release.

Doesn't this happen with pretty much every new graphics card launch?

It's just that this year, nVidia got wise and figured out a way to make some extra cash in the process with the whole Founder's Edition BS, so we're butthurt about it.

If you were around at 9AM ET this morning you could have purchased cards from Best Buy online, and the Nvidia direct store has had them in stock at multiple times. I added to my cart a couple times before slapping myself and backing away.

Smart man. I wish I had your self-control.

I had one in my cart at Newegg but decided I'd wait a couple weeks and grab the Asus Strix.

I'm frankly astonished Newegg isn't price-gouging. Nvidia must have dictated prices for FEs. Precisely $699, not higher or lower.

(Or to phrase it more accurately, Nvidia got their price gouging in first!)

Saw 1 or 2 at BH, but wasn't even tempted to blow $700. I've been preparing for this launch for 6 months, building a system with the latest parts and saving the $$$ for a new card, but I won't answer nVidia's call to "EAT-ME".

At this rate, there is time to see what the 1070 has to offer, and if the 1080 is worth $200-250 more. Show me an AIB board with better cooling for $600-$620 today, and I'll buy it today. If I have to wait a week, I'll just wait another week to check out 1070.

I snagged an evga founders. Hoping o step up to the classified since its the same price (if it fits in my case)

What about AiB cards being $100 lower than FE?
Here in Sweden that is not so. Some AiB custom cards have been listed and the big majority is around the FE $699, MSI's Gaming X is around $750. The only one close to Nvidias lower MSRP is EVGA's lowest 1080 (referense card with custom cooler) in some stores, in other stores it is listed close to FE.

Nvidia's store has had them in stock several times throughout the day. I got one roughly 4 hours ago.
Per what's going on in the other threads, seems that the various Microcenter B&M stores got 20-30 each, but they're long gone since they opened an hour early for the release.

And no single customer could buy more than two in a single store - so they shouldn't be showing up en masse @ Ben-Gay (AKA EBay) - however, some WILL show up there (and some even on e-storefronts on Amazon).

Maximum stock levels I saw were no more than ~20 for the egg and BB from memory, most 10 or single digits in few places that had stock briefly. Amazon seemed to have a few as well as Frys, both who opened pre orders accidentally. A few say they're shipping now, one or two appeared on ebay in box but that's it. Didn't seem like there would've been more than something in the 200-500 units range, if you optimistically counted the 'accidental' back orders and walk in only stock plus online.

edit:
Now that some people have bought cards, Kyle should upset the apple cart further in the OC review, by calling them out on their single fet 'dual fet', power limited gig for the flounders edition. Isn't that false advertising? They always have to sneak something in there, every time!

Last edited:
Quote Removed - I have been banning all day 1 post guys today that have signed up to gripe, bitch, and moan in one way or another. If you want to bust my balls and have been here a week, go for it. :) - KYLE

This guy created a new account so he could hide the fact that he complained about the "tax" and swore to never purchase one but did anyways.

"NVIDIA's normal reply would rattle off something like, "Well Kyle, we had so many that they were falling off the truck on the way over, and since GTX 1080 is so freaking awesome there is no way we could keep up with demand. We are as surprised as you are"

this truck?!

This guy created a new account so he could hide the fact that he complained about the "tax" and swore to never purchase one but did anyways.

Full disclosure: I said I was going to buy a non-FE card, but I did it anyway. I'm too much of an impulse buyer when it comes to new shiny PC stuff. Mea culpa.

What annoys me is that I ordered from the nVidia store when they claimed to be IN STOCK and then I get an email hours later claiming that it is actually backordered but they are holding my PayPal payment until it ships (with no ETA). It's not like they were holding open the orders either--I ordered within a minute of the stock changing to in stock and them opening up the ordering (and they aren't taking orders now saying it is out of stock) so personally I'm pretty damn pissed about the matter. Either make it clear it is a backorder or don't sell units you don't have...I don't even have an ETA for shipping!

backorder.png

What annoys me is that I ordered from the nVidia store when they claimed to be IN STOCK and then I get an email hours later claiming that it is actually backordered but they are holding my PayPal payment until it ships (with no ETA). It's not like they were holding open the orders either--I ordered within a minute of the stock changing to in stock and them opening up the ordering (and they aren't taking orders now saying it is out of stock) so personally I'm pretty damn pissed about the matter. Either make it clear it is a backorder or don't sell units you don't have...I don't even have an ETA for shipping!

backorder.png

That's complete bullshit. Order one from Newegg and tell NV to pound sand and give you a refund.

Back