Founders edition binned?

Gamer237

Limp Gawd
ive been reading stuff around the forums about how founders edition cards are binned. I’ve never bought founders edition cards before because of their blower style design. This time around however I decided to pre order a FE card since I couldn’t get my hands on a EVGA branded one. Any of you guys have a reference from a nvidia announcement or official post that they bin their FE cards? I’m just curious of what kind of product I’m getting since I’m paying almost $300 over msrp lol.

ive been reading stuff around the forums about how founders edition cards are binned.
Links? Please share.

I’m just curious of what kind of product I’m getting since I’m paying almost $300 over msrp lol.
Why are you paying $300 over MSRP? Assuming 2080 or 2080 Ti since you did not mention the actual card.

Well, one of those is my thread. I would suggest that NVIDIA pulls the chips it wants for its own cards. All of the FE cards I have had experience with will OC on water just as high as any as I have seen.

$1200 is the price on the 2080 Ti.

upload_2018-8-23_21-23-46.png

Yeah I’ve been doing some research apparently the FE cards has higher average OC’s out the box than AIB brands

Just wondering if nvidia explicitly said that themselves.

They're just going the AIB route this generation and offering an out-of-the-box overclock on the cards they sell, probably to justify the FE price. The biggest complaint about FE with Pascal was the optics that the quality they were selling with it was not enough to justify the higher base price, so I take it this new strategy is to give a little extra. But just like with Pascal you probably will never be able to find a card at the $999 MSRP for a 2080 Ti.

Yeah I’ve been doing some research apparently the FE cards has higher average OC’s out the box than AIB brands

Just wondering if nvidia explicitly said that themselves.

If the best research you can find is a two year old Reddit post, then you are digging for results other people haven’t backed up.

In modern NVIDIA times binning is nearly irrelevant, anyway. I've owned cards up and down the spectrum (from FE to MSI Lightning) and they're not going to perform too far beyond the training wheels NVIDIA has placed on the cards. Sure, you can gain % here and there - but unless you're willing to go to extreme lengths (water, etc.), which, IMO is a complete waste due to its affect on resale and minimal gains (do it for fun, but if you truly want more performance, buy the next card up in the stack) - every card is going to perform just about the same.

The GTX 5xx series was the last "unlocked" card from NVIDIA - ever since then they've increasingly put the brakes on standard OC methods.

The last few FTW cards I bought from eVGA offered little to nothing over a standard entry eVGA card as far as max overclocks.
Was not impressed. I thought the FTW cards were binned - I don’t think they are. Maybe Kingpin cards are. EVGA marketing and profiteering - catered to those who cannot OC a vid card themselves. FTW cards used to be the shiznit.
It’s why I had no issue buying the 2080 Ti Ultra and not paying / waiting for the FTWs.
Only time it makes sense to buy a higher series card is if the stock air cooler is night/day better than normal, even still, splitting hairs with good case cooling.

EDIT: looks like eVGA IS differentiating the FTW cards on the 2080 Tis. Massive coolers, custom PCBs with better power etc - https://www.anandtech.com/show/13268/custom-geforce-rtx-2080-quick-look
All for near-Titan prices Im sure.

Last edited:
If the best research you can find is a two year old Reddit post, then you are digging for results other people haven’t backed up.

The best research I can find shows a lot more people saying FE cards are binned but that’s not the point I’m merely just asking if anyone here know if NVIDIA in the past has official stated that FE cards are binned which Kyle answered, that’s all I was asking for

The last few FTW cards I bought from eVGA offered little to nothing over a standard entry eVGA card as far as max overclocks.
Was not impressed. I thought the FTW cards were binned - I don’t think they are. Maybe Kingpin cards are. EVGA marketing and profiteering - catered to those who cannot OC a vid card themselves. FTW cards used to be the shiznit.
It’s why I had no issue buying the 2080 Ti Ultra and not paying / waiting for the FTWs.
Only time it makes sense to buy a higher series card is if the stock air cooler is night/day better than normal, even still, splitting hairs with good case cooling.
K|NGP|N cards are, and you have to pay a very high premium to get specific bins that are purely based on subjective ASIC. I have not seen anything in personal experience or through others' reasearch that leads me to believe the overclocking ability of a 65% ASIC is any different from a 90% ASIC. All of them are primarily affected by how effectively you can cool them, and anything above room temperature is going to reduce the max overclock on these modern chips.

IIRC, the Kingpin cards are also equipped with an extremely beefy power phase.

There was an overclockers.net thread where it was speculated that nVidia FE cards were binned for higher overclocks. S/he based that research on personally owning 50 or so and noticed slightly higher overclocks on those cards than non-FE cards. Considering that millions of Pascal cards were probably sold I'd say 50 samples are statistically irrelevant.

IIRC, the Kingpin cards are also equipped with an extremely beefy power phase.

There was an overclockers.net thread where it was speculated that nVidia FE cards were binned for higher overclocks. S/he based that research on personally owning 50 or so and noticed slightly higher overclocks on those cards than non-FE cards. Considering that millions of Pascal cards were probably sold I'd say 50 samples are statistically irrelevant.

Lol people and speculation. Definitely had me thinking that somehow FE were binned.

Back