Found rare gigabit router on ebay...in need of help (PICS)

trick_m0nkey

Staff member
My boss has found a large gigabit router on ebay for a crazy good price (he thinks that the guy who sold it didnt quite realize what he was selling), but we have run into a problem.

We dont know how to make the thing work. It turns on, and if we plug our internet into one of the ports on the front, then plug our devices into it (like a laptop), then it will get a signal and a ping, assigns an IP, but there is no default gateway IP address.

The company that made the device is called Torrent, and the router is called the IP 9000. After doing extensive research, we have found that only around 50 of these things made before Torrent was bought out by Cisco, and there are no service manuels, online tutorials, instructions, anything. I was wondering if any one of you have ever seen, worked with, or at least have some kind of advice on how to get this thing working so it can drive the network for our business.

Here are some pictures:

hpim0468yo2.jpg

We suspect that we plug our internet into the back in here, but we are not exactly sure as to where or how to get that to work:

hpim0475eu2.jpg

So yeah, thinking it goes down somewhere in the bottom. Please, someone reply with something because we are out of ideas and I know there are guys around on these forums who have worked with this kind of stuff before.

I don't see a console port or anything on it... You might trying to ping to the first IP in the DHCP range, or the last IP, and maybe the router is sitting there and can be telnet'ed to. Good luck.

You should be able to use any port, as I believe it's just a layer 3 switch. However, I don't see any kind of management blade. Look around for a console port.

If there's a MAC address on the router, then you can try using "ARP -s" at the command prompt (assuming Windows, I don't know how other OSes do this). Then you can attempt to telnet in using any of the ethernet ports.

Just some thoughts though....
*No manuals
*Probably no support

...Dunno how daring I'd want to be having a non-supported device driving a business.

...maybe it's not such a "crazy price" after all...

Just some thoughts though....
*No manuals
*Probably no support

...Dunno how daring I'd want to be having a non-supported device driving a business.

...maybe it's not such a "crazy price" after all...

It's not like we dont have a system already in place that is working. It's a pc repair business and we use our network to hold back up images of many different systems. We are not very big so having this neat little thing show up is more like a project than a major business descision. Our current router is sufficient but it is slow and if we can get this thing running we will see a nice performance boost when ghosting or backing up computers to the server.

Edit: Also, I'll be addressing the other advice soon and let you guys know how that works out, thanks for replying...in the meantime other suggestions/advice is appreciated...

I'm no expert here but looks like what the previous people said might apply here. You should look around for a management blade or some sort of WAN blade for it, or look on the back for a serial/or RJ-45 type serial connection. Anything like that should help out a ton.

Ericsson bought Torrent Networking Technologies Corp almost 2 years after that gigabit router came out.

There shouldn't be much to using it. You can try contacting Ericsson and ask for/buy some documentation if you still need help.

I'd try reseating each bay back into the connector and inspect/clean the circuit board fingers while it's out.

have you tried to use as non managed switch?
just put cables and try maybe something is missing
management module, wan interface?
or only web interface?

I agree looks none managed, maybe part of a PBX?

*edit*

looking at other pictures you have a large section from the top missing. That has a serial and RJ45 input and must manage the switch

torrent_router.jpg

You've got yourself an outdated(bought out and scrubed tech) ATM router. From the pics and reading it looks like your missing the managment console.
Alhtough you should be able to log into the switches using a normal command console from any of the ports once an ip is given out.
If your lucky there will not be a password. ;-)
Good Luck!

You do realize that a good (not HP procurve) gigabit switch that is layer 3 .... is a gigabit router if you enable the layer 3 routing features.

Go out and get a Cisco 3750G-24T.

doesn't look like you got it all... i guess you can mount the switches somewhere else and just use them like that... but no router

You do realize that a good (not HP procurve) gigabit switch that is layer 3 .... is a gigabit router if you enable the layer 3 routing features.

Go out and get a Cisco 3750G-24T.

While true, you will have a routing device capable of Gig-E connections, what you WON'T have is a router capable of actually routing at gigabit speeds. You enable routing features on a switch like that and I'm pretty sure you will have a major drop in through put due to the overhead of the layer 3 routing table checks. If you want gigabit line speed routing from a Cisco device you should probably look to the 7000 or 12000 series.

Back