Found my perfect display in the Samsung UN50JU6500...

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
So I'm currently in such a euphoric state that I simply had to share with someone... :D

For the last year or so I've been on the hunt for a 4K display that ticks all of my boxes:

- Large format (40" or up)
- 4:4:4 chroma at 4K/60hz
- Relatively low (or at least tolerable) input lag
- Good color, contrast, and uniformity

That search has gone on for quite some time and has been pretty exhausting as well. After having a decent 1080p large format display for almost five years (a 2011 era LG 42LK450 with an IPS panel), I decided to retire it and purchase a replacement around Christmas of last year. Little did I know how difficult it would be to get my hands on a 4K display that ticked all of the above boxes and didn't suck ass doing it.

I tried:

- An LG 43UF6430: Very bright IPS panel with great contrast, but it used a horrid RGBW pixel arrangement (and staggered too!) that made it a really crappy PC display.
- A Seiki SE42UGT: Actually not a half bad display, but it lacked 4:4:4 chroma support and also had higher input lag than I'd like. A fairly decent quality build though especially with the sub $300 price factored in.
- A Wasabi Mango 'ZEN' U400: I had to try and get in on the latest 'direct from Korea' display fad, right? What could go wrong? Well let me tell you that thing was the biggest piece of shit (pardon my language) that I've ever laid my hands on. Not only did it arrive with a blotched panel due to pressure from the air pillows they crammed in the box, but I'm 90% certain it was flashed with the wrong firmware - the firmware for the Crossover 289K which is another direct-from-Korea display. Absolutely horrible pixel response times with ghosting and smearing the likes of which I haven't seen since the first color LCDs on laptops from the mid 1990s. (I'm pretty sure this was because Overdrive wasn't working, probably due to the wrong firmware being on it) The quality was just plain BAD - flimsy construction all over. Two of the screw holes for the feet were even stripped out beyond hope. Maybe the higher end WM units are better... I'll never know.

Anyway after doing a ton of research the big wheel kept landing on the KU6xxx (2016 era) and JU6500 (2015 era) TVs from Samsung. These mid-tier TVs seemed almost too good to be true. HDMI 2.0 support on at least one port with full 4:4:4 chroma at 4K/60hz, and input lag numbers that beat even their higher end brothers - especially in 'game mode'. Around about the time I had made my mind up on a 43" Samsung UN43KU6300, a deal on Ebay popped up for the 2015 era UN50JU6500 for $529 with free shipping and no tax. At that price I simply had to bite and try my hand at the wheel of displays once again.....

upload_2016-8-10_14-50-56.png

This thing is GREAT! Deep inky blacks, great uniformity with very little of that 'VA Bullseye' effect - so little of it in fact that I'm tempted to compare it to an IPS panel! Full 4:4:4 chroma at 4K/60hz and input lag that's some of the lowest I've seen on an LCD TV! RTINGS initial review back in 2015 states something like 42ms in PC mode, but with the newest firmware I'd wager that the number is now closer to the mid 20s - no kidding. (In game mode it drops down to the low teens but you lose 4:4:4 chroma - not a big deal for gaming in any case) The difference in quality is impressive too: When compared to the Seiki and especially the Wasabi Mango there just is no contest. Even the out of box experience had my jaw dropping - the Samsung goes through this whole fancy intro video when you first power it up and it overall just oozes quality compared to what I'm used to.

If I had to find one thing to complain about it would be that this thing definitely has a PWM backlight. It's not even a high frequency one either, it's 60 cycles. That's a bit annoying especially if you like to turn your backlight way down. I'd say it's forgivable though given all of the upsides of the display. :)

Anyway, for anyone who is in the same boat I was - you might want to stick it out and save up for something in Samsung's lineup. Heck, even one of last year's models could be just what you're looking for! :D

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Congrats on your new TV as a Monitor. I did something similar by purchasing a Samsung KS8500 for use as my PC monitor. Also, you probably got one with a true Samsung LCD Panel inside and that may be why you're getting those nicer than average VA panel viewing angles! =)

If you do end up watching some video on that while keeping your desktop at 60Hz you might run into 3:2 pulldown/telecine stutter. I didn't have this before on Sony TVs, but apparently it's a samsung thing. I noticed you're using some GTX1080 cards like me and I just want to mention it, so you don't spend a couple weeks pulling your hair out about why there's a weird stutter when watching 24p and 25p content. You can solve the issue, by finding a media player that'll work with ReClock or using Kodi. (Kodi will change your TVs refresh rates to best suit the video, it also has a function that's similar to ReClock sync video to your refresh.)

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Congrats on your new TV as a Monitor. I did something similar by purchasing a Samsung KS8500 for use as my PC monitor. Also, you probably got one with a true Samsung LCD Panel inside and that may be why you're getting those nicer than average VA panel viewing angles! =)

If you do end up watching some video on that while keeping your desktop at 60Hz you might run into 3:2 pulldown/telecine stutter. I didn't have this before on Sony TVs, but apparently it's a samsung thing. I noticed you're using some GTX1080 cards like me and I just want to mention it, so you don't spend a couple weeks pulling your hair out about why there's a weird stutter when watching 24p and 25p content. You can solve the issue, by finding a media player that'll work with ReClock or using Kodi. (Kodi will change your TVs refresh rates to best suit the video, it also has a function that's similar to ReClock sync video to your refresh.)

Enjoy!

According to the RTINGS review back in April of 2015, the JU6500 series suffers from judder when viewing 24fps content even if you feed the display a 24hz signal. This could have been fixed with firmware updates since then, but I can't really tell. I'm one of the lucky ones that aren't really sensitive to that type of judder. I've even looked for signs of it when viewing cinematic content on this panel and just don't see it.

I had this same exact display and size last year and loved it. I got lucky and paid $799 when it was on sale right after it came onto the market. I ended up selling it to a client for $1300 dollars and making a little profit. So I didn't have it long. I actually had to move away from AMD 290's to use the display with a 980 ti which was a bit costly at the time. Now days I am using the new 2016 Samsung KS8000 49" and love it ... love it ... love it.

According to the RTINGS review back in April of 2015, the JU6500 series suffers from judder when viewing 24fps content even if you feed the display a 24hz signal. This could have been fixed with firmware updates since then, but I can't really tell. I'm one of the lucky ones that aren't really sensitive to that type of judder. I've even looked for signs of it when viewing cinematic content on this panel and just don't see it.

Well that's good man. I notice it right away usually hahaha. Either way, I'm just glad it was something that could be corrected through software and not some kind of flaw with the TVs. (i.e. something that happens when you're viewing from a blu-ray player, dedicated device, streaming directly, etc.)

They've done so well with the input lag on these TVs now that I can't see any reason not to use one as a monitor anymore. (I know PC monitors will still always have less lag on paper, but it's isn't even a perceptible difference now.)

Well a little over 3 months later and I still love my UN50JU6500... but I'm trading up!

Target had what I thought was a pretty sweet deal on the UN49KU6500, which is basically a year newer and curved. $547.99 with free 2-day shipping...

http://www.target.com/p/samsung-49in-flat-panel-tv-2160p-120-hz-black-un49ku6500fxza/-/A-51152029

From what RTINGs says the panel is just as good if not better than the 50JU6500 I'm using now, with even better pixel response time and lower input lag in PC / Gaming mode.

I guess I'll let you guys know since it should get here tomorrow or Tuesday. :D

Last edited:
I have said before that If you want the best image quality available for videos and games get a TV. Seriously, monitor market is lagging behind like crazy. Yeah they offer higher refresh rates and Gsync/freesync but often that comes bad quality panels with shitty colors and barebones calibration controls that can just get the white point correct but do nothing for the greyscale or gamma. And yet manufacturers dare to sell them with premium prices.

I agree. I haven't seen anything that impresses me as much as these Samsung TV's. That said, I don't like the 48+ inch panels so I may be up a creek on finding something to replace this display.

I agree. I haven't seen anything that impresses me as much as these Samsung TV's. That said, I don't like the 48+ inch panels so I may be up a creek on finding something to replace this display.

Man, I still feel like an ass for pissing on your Star Trek post in GenMay.... :(

I've been researching the newer Samsung's and everything I see is beyond 48" now and that's not the direction I want to go in. I'd get one of those 34" widescreen displays but I hated the lack of vertical real estate on them when I tried one out at the store. I doubt I could actually live with that despite the refresh rates and G-Sync. So I'm probably going to start looking for a 48" JS9000 like you've got once I get moved into the new house and all that.
The 43KS7500 is a perfect fit, but it's unfortunately only available in Europe. I'm trying to see if there's any way I can buy it from the US without literally paying more than the cost of a 49KS8500.

Mine just developed to burn spots on the bottom edge like something caught fire inside. The display works but I now have two dime sized burn marks in the image now. There were times I had wished I had gone with the 40" version of the JU6700 or JU6500 over the 48" version. I obviously prefer the size of the latter for the most part but the pixel pitch isn't as good as the monitors I had before. The 40" seems like the perfect size for that. Then again, maybe it's the PWM backlighting that is what's hurting my eyes after all this time.

I've been researching the newer Samsung's and everything I see is beyond 48" now and that's not the direction I want to go in. I'd get one of those 34" widescreen displays but I hated the lack of vertical real estate on them when I tried one out at the store. I doubt I could actually live with that despite the refresh rates and G-Sync. So I'm probably going to start looking for a 48" JS9000 like you've got once I get moved into the new house and all that.

The 43KS7500 is a perfect fit, but it's unfortunately only available in Europe. I'm trying to see if there's any way I can buy it from the US without literally paying more than the cost of a 49KS8500.

Well, there is the 43" 43KU7000. And they have the 49" 49KU7000, 49KS8000 and 49KS8500 as well. If you're using a 48" like me, a 49" is going to be virtually identical.

I do think that 43" would be just about the perfect size, though. I've owned the 40" and 48" Samsungs and liked both sizes for different reasons, so something 42-44" would be ideal IMO. Sony and other manufacturers make them but if you want a Samsung it's slim pickings.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, there is the 43" 43KU7000. And they have the 49" 49KU7000, 49KS8000 and 49KS8500 as well. If you're using a 48" like me, a 49" is going to be virtually identical.

I do think that 43" would be just about the perfect size, though. I've owned the 40" and 48" Samsungs and liked both sizes for different reasons, so something 42-44" would be ideal IMO. Sony and other manufacturers make them but if you want a Samsung it's slim pickings.
I have no preference for Samsung over Sony, but I want that curve. I don't think Sony (or anyone, for that matter) has any 43" HDR offerings that include a curve.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
UPDATE: I'll be returning my UN49KU6500 in favor of either my old UN50JU6500 or a new UN50KU6300.

Why?

My brain cannot handle the CURRRRVES, baby! Seriously, it's great and immersive in games and in some video content - but in a 2D space it's just annoying as hell. I honestly don't think I could ever get used to this.

As an aside though, the pixel response time is actually markedly WORSE on this panel compared to my old (flat) 50JU6500 and even this year's 50KU6300. Smearing / trailing is noticably worse in many cases.

The included remote has also been cheapened and dumbed down quite a bit. It's now basically just a 4-way directional pad with a center select button, and a few additional buttons for power, home, channel, and volume.

About the only improvements specs wise are a noticeable increase in contrast ratio (blacks are better, but they were already pretty good) and the Tizen powered Smart UI is even better looking.

Back