Found a review on Abit's new IB9 - Budget P965 board w/ solid caps

how the fuck are people getting higher clocks on C2Ds with this motherboard, but me with my Pentium D 950 ES can't hit above 4.0Ghz. I can't even get this god damn thing to 3.9Ghz stable. and this is from a chip which hit 4.5 Ghz stable @ 1.385V orthos stable on my previous 975XBX motherboard and has booted up at 5.0Ghz before. This is really starting to tick me off :( I'm running stock now... too fed up with it all. I'll just wait for my AW9D-Max to arrive :)

WTF?! The shipping BIOS (1.1) shows the wrong CPU speed but is otherwise alright. When updating to either the 1.2 or 1.3 BIOS, the C1E and thermal throttling options disappear! My E4300's multi is swinging between 6x and 9x in WinXP and causes one hell of a vdroop once dual prime becomes active (1.425 -> ~1.38V).

Anyone see something similar?

The reason for the multi swing and the vcore droop is because of EIST. Turn that off and that prob will go away. I would try downloading the BIOS files again and reflash again. I haven't had any probs with either 1.1 or 1.2 only 1.3Beta.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I already have EIST disabled. Managed to get the E4300 stable at 2.93GHz @ 1.425V (droops to ~1.39V with dual prime). Just had to set the WinXP power profile to "Always On" since that disables SpeedStep.

Will try downloading the BIOS again. Are you folks getting 'em from ABIT's Taiwan or US server?

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I already have EIST disabled. Managed to get the E4300 stable at 2.93GHz @ 1.425V (droops to ~1.39V with dual prime). Just had to set the WinXP power profile to "Always On" since that disables SpeedStep.

Will try downloading the BIOS again. Are you folks getting 'em from ABIT's Taiwan or US server?

I got the beta out of the abit forums from the USA site. I think the 1.2 was available on the taiwanese site only right now (last time I checked...maybe 2 weeks ago).

i just got a rev 1.3 DS3 from newegg with F10 bios. running a e6320 7x428 1.38v. pretty damn good bang for buck if you ask me.

i just got a rev 1.3 DS3 from newegg with F10 bios. running a e6320 7x428 1.38v. pretty damn good bang for buck if you ask me.

Yeah, the DS3 1.3 is a good board also, but it runs ~$20-25 more than the IB9.

2 months later and still no BIOS? This is one thing I hate about Abit.

Any other feedback on this thing? Newegg has a nice price after AR on this and picking one up right now.

Bit the bullet and got four of these babies with E4300s. Clocked them all up to 3.1GHz using various generic 2GB DDR2-667 kits and stock HSFs. Very nice, solid board to work with and I especially like the ITE IDE controller.

Two quibbles though :

1) Make bloody sure to load the ITE drivers via F6 for XP installs or its a guaranteed BSOD.
2) All BIOS versions beyond 1.1 (ie. 1.2, 1.3beta) removes the ability to disable EIST, C1E, etc. functions. 1.1 is a no go as it always misidentifies the E4300 and reports "CPU unworkable". Luckily, you can bypass this by changing the XP power profile to "Always On".

Are you kidding me? lol

This is my 1st array into C2D. Do EIST and C1E really matter? They're like CnQ right? Kinda?

Exactly. They fudge with your Vcore and multiplier settings, which is a definite no-no when you're trying to OC :|

Thanks!

CMON ABIT!!! They have been my preferred but I'm beginning to lean towards DFI!!!

2) All BIOS versions beyond 1.1 (ie. 1.2, 1.3beta) removes the ability to disable EIST, C1E, etc. functions. 1.1 is a no go as it always misidentifies the E4300 and reports "CPU unworkable". Luckily, you can bypass this by changing the XP power profile to "Always On".

I got the 1.2 BIOS and I got the EIST setting in my BIOS. I don't have C1E setting tho. The 1.3Beta was junk for me also but I have been running 9*333 for months with this board and an E4300.

I got the 1.2 BIOS and I got the EIST setting in my BIOS. I don't have C1E setting tho. The 1.3Beta was junk for me also but I have been running 9*333 for months with this board and an E4300.

do you know where I can download the 1.3 Beta? Also, would any of you guys recommend using Abit's windows flash utility or should I just do it in dos? It seems like a lot of people have had failed bios flashes with the windows version... and where can I download the windows flash utility?

Can u do 334? lol That barely under 3 would drive me nuts!!! lol

Wwll. I should get this board on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll do 2.8-3 minimum.

do you know where I can download the 1.3 Beta? Also, would any of you guys recommend using Abit's windows flash utility or should I just do it in dos? It seems like a lot of people have had failed bios flashes with the windows version... and where can I download the windows flash utility?

I found a link to it on the Abit forums.

Can u do 334? lol That barely under 3 would drive me nuts!!! lol

Wwll. I should get this board on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll do 2.8-3 minimum.

Yes I could if I wished to.

So far I was able to boot at 360 so no prob. Have the multi at 6 to see how far it can go.

I'm currently typing this at 9x 334 and have orthos running to see how far I can go on stock V. Seems the VDroop isn't so bad. It's around .2-.3 tops.

The board naturally undervolts as well. Needed 1.375V for 1.35V. Vdroop is 1.33V. So I might have to up a tad if 3Ghz isn't stable but so far Orthos is running just fine :)

The Vdimm is also a tad under 2.2V. Why doesn't Abit put 2.25V?

Don't have a lot of time so the rest will have to be done on the weekend.

BTW anybody know the clockgen #'s for this board. Would really help a lot. Thanks

So far I was able to boot at 360 so no prob. Have the multi at 6 to see how far it can go.

I'm currently typing this at 9x 334 and have orthos running to see how far I can go on stock V. Seems the VDroop isn't so bad. It's around .2-.3 tops.

The board naturally undervolts as well. Needed 1.375V for 1.35V. Vdroop is 1.33V. So I might have to up a tad if 3Ghz isn't stable but so far Orthos is running just fine :)

The Vdimm is also a tad under 2.2V. Why doesn't Abit put 2.25V?

Don't have a lot of time so the rest will have to be done on the weekend.

BTW anybody know the clockgen #'s for this board. Would really help a lot. Thanks

Are you for sure that the multi is at 6x?? Check it out once you get into windows once you got it set in BIOS. I have problems where the multi doesn't "stick". The 1.3Beta solves this but it also introduced more probs for me.

I rechecked after a few bots and tweaking and saw CPUz saying it was 9x... Could this chip really go that far on stock V? Have other ppl reached 3.2Ghz on air with stock voltage?

I was tempted to get the Qpack2 and go the Am2 route as I don't see an Intel MATX board that will suit me. Need VDimm 2.4 minimum and I need the last PCI slot and the PCIE as the 1st slot. However if this is possible on this board I may just get the Lian Li PC-A05B. Need small case!

I got it from the abit forums. There was a link to it. Send a PM to BUFF here on H. He's also a big abit forum poster and he might be able to link you right to it if you can't find it.

sorry, but it was originally hosted on the abit USA server & when they upgraded they apparently didn't carry it over.
We've been trying to get a copy for our abit forums beta thread (files hosted by Lvcoyote) but no one has come up with the goods.

If anyone has it please contact me & we'll get it hosted for everybody.

sorry, but it was originally hosted on the abit USA server & when they upgraded they apparently didn't carry it over.
We've been trying to get a copy for our abit forums beta thread (files hosted by Lvcoyote) but no one has come up with the goods.

I might have it. I'll have to see if it's still on the HDD.

YGPM

I got it!

Cool!!! I can do 3.2 so far on the chip and may decide to keep this board!!!

Feedback on this beta is very much appreciated.

I looked at this board before I settled on the BX2 (at almost 2x the price), but now that it's upgrade time, I think I may move some old parts into an IB9. NewEgg is showing $5x AR right now. Once they get a good price on a X3210 in the next few days, an IB9 may find its way to my place....

-bZj

I looked at this board before I settled on the BX2 (at almost 2x the price), but now that it's upgrade time, I think I may move some old parts into an IB9. NewEgg is showing $5x AR right now. Once they get a good price on a X3210 in the next few days, an IB9 may find its way to my place....

-bZj

Compatible? No issues with the Xeons? Not sure if a specific bios would be needed or not with the Xeons.

for the current $58 after rebate at newegg it's hard to knock it.

Compatible? No issues with the Xeons? Not sure if a specific bios would be needed or not with the Xeons.
X3x00 Xeons are S775, and should have no issues in my BA2. Intel een sells a 'server' version of the BA2, which has a green PCB and no flaming heatsinks: S975XBX2.

-bZj

X3x00 Xeons are S775, and should have no issues in my BA2. Intel een sells a 'server' version of the BA2, which has a green PCB and no flaming heatsinks: S975XBX2.

-bZj

I know they are 775, but what comes up when you boot? Unknown CPU? Obviously it's probably "unofficially" supported by manufacturers, but I know with the Opty's last go 'round there were some boards that didn't work right without a bios update.

The X3xx0 Xeons are just C2D/C2Q chips - no changes needed if those are supported on your board.

-bZj

Back