Found a new reason why IE is better than firefox..

Laforge

2[H]4U
firevsie.jpg

firefox has 300% more memory usage?

and before some smartass tells me that dvd shrink or freeram xppro are the problems.. It happens without them running, too. - I'm only running the free ram app because firefox is eating up so much ram on this machine, and no, I do not have any viruses or spyware on my box, either.

Cold Dark Shadow said:
Odd? im running FF and its only 29-31K

To quote your PM to me.. Verbatim.

Cold Dark Shadow said:
DO NOT post on his threads anymore. Your harassing our members and that dont fly here

Could you use that rule of thumb towards MY threads?

I mean, especially if you are going to outright lie.. 29-31K? Come on.. notepad uses more than that..

my ff is only using 27mb...how many tabs do you have open? I think that makes a difference.
Also I think the more plugins you have, the more mem it eats up. dunno that for sure though....I don't run any plugins other than flash.

nst6563 said:
my ff is only using 27mb...how many tabs do you have open? I think that makes a difference.

Hardforum.com

I only have adblock in my firefox.

I'll try uninstalling it.

that is really strange to use THAT much mem with 1 tab....

try uninstalling ff and installing the new version (if you're not running it already...and if so, try reinstalling it or a previous version)

nst6563 said:
that is really strange to use THAT much mem with 1 tab....

try uninstalling ff and installing the new version (if you're not running it already...and if so, try reinstalling it or a previous version)

I'm on 1.5.. I'll see if oldversion.com has earliers.. cause getfirefox.com doesn't.

Removing adblock didn't help.

There were reports of severe memory leaks in the beta of 1.5.. but.. they were supposedly fixed..

LOL!!! 1.5!!! damn...I need to pay more attention...I'm using 1.0.7 :p

now i'm afraid to update :p

is that the x64 version?

nst6563 said:
LOL!!! 1.5!!! damn...I need to pay more attention...I'm using 1.0.7 :p

now i'm afraid to update :p

is that the x64 version?

No.. this computer I am currently using is not x64.. My x64 system is.. "in upgrade process..." ;-)

I am using 60 with one tab.

I still won't use IE unless I have to though.

Well, I'm a long-time FF user and I'm well-aware of those memory "leak" problems. It actually can be looked at from another angle (optimistically haha). That is, FF creators still don't know how to release the memory when you CLOSE a tab.

When they do fix that, your memory "leak" will be gone. But, yeah 100MB is not a surprise. I use FF b/c of the blocking of unwanted solicitations and other nonsense (intelli-ANNOY-txt, etc.), and in general the user interface is to my liking.

Not big reasons, but I'm also quite comfortable with it, having used it for almost 2 years now.

Tiny said:
I am using 60 with one tab.

I still won't use IE unless I have to though.

Oh, no.. I'm on firefox ..Just.. well.. It sucks.. it's just a lesser evil..

I don't like the fact that half the websites I visit don't work, and that it uses 300% more memory than I.E. but I like spyware even less.

heh my Firefox is weird. It was at 67MB memory usage.. I minimized and it went to 8MBs, then I left it on one page for about 10 minutes and it climbed past 40MB. :confused:

Maybe I don't understand how it all works but seems odd that it would go up if there is nothing new loading.

My FF 1.5 uses around 48-58 all the time..Even if it is on idle at google.com..

Cold Dark Shadow said:
i meant 30M not K., it wasnt an "out right lie" it was a mis-type, chill

I think I cut myself. [points to reply title]

TO ask again..

Cold Dark Shadow said:
DO NOT post on his threads anymore. Your harassing our members and that dont fly here

I don't use Firefox as my full time browser, just for turking purposes these days, but yesterday, with just 1 tab open (my Dashboard for Mturk), I decided to take a peak at Task Manager and Firefox was consuming 158MB of physical RAM, 187MB of virtual memory.

That's after leaving it running for just shy of 2 hours, so... it seems that Firefox 1.5 has a memory leak issue on some people's machines but not every single one. Some people have the issue (me being one of them), some people don't.

Oh well.

bb

ffmem.jpg

fire fox 1.07 havent upgraded yet becuase this isnt the first time i've heard this... when they fix this leak, then ill upgrade... (only add on i have is the thottbot quicksearch)

that is with both open to hardforums main page after a fresh boot FF was in the background, but both where fully maximised, i alt-tabed between the 2 to be shure there was no change wiht them both open ( both minimised it reflects the same about 8,000k for i.e. and 10,000k for FF

thore

Laforge said:
TO ask again..
Cold Dark Shadow said:

a public forum isn't the place to air private issues
especially when it potentially touches on rule 24
Im available to both of you via PM to resolve any issues

on topic

A proposal to reduce the memory consumption of images in Mozilla

;) which would answer the why and explains the discrepancies you all are seeing

and here is the how
http://primates.ximian.com/~federico/misc/moz-images.cs
but its beyond me to compile it

If I don't reboot my PC for weeks, then FireFox will start consuming 300 megs of physical memory... kinda looking forward for IE 7 and tabbed browsing...

I know about FireFox h4x that can address its hunger for memory, but an end-user shouldn't have to do that.

I use FF 1.5 and so far it hasnt used more than 60mb or so. And I keep mine on all the time. Regularly have 4-7 tabs open. I dont know if it makes a difference or not, but in options I set my cache to use 0mb. I havent tried setting it to any number other than that, since ive always stuck to 0mb since first trying FF way back.

hmm mines using 160,000K with 7 tabs , and i normaly use alot more then that.

little scary...

I have 84,276 with 8 tabs open.
My only real complaint about Firefox is the CPU usage.

Wow, these are all very good reasons to give opera 8.51 a serious try if you havent already. Just my $.02

ive seen my FF mem usage over 100mb but you know what ? i dont really care as when Im using FF i usually dont have anything else going on thats gonna need that memory.
in most cases I have over 600mbs of ram sitting on its ass anyway.

i have 15 tabs open with opera and its at 150 meg.. i wont use IE again unless i absolutely have to. firefox just doesnt matter.

flynlr said:
ive seen my FF mem usage over 100mb but you know what ? i dont really care as when Im using FF i usually dont have anything else going on thats gonna need that memory.
in most cases I have over 600mbs of ram sitting on its ass anyway.

Usually when firefox starts eating up memory, it starts running slow...

I've had version 1.5 using over 300 MB of memory. I think I'll be going back to version 1.07 or sticking with IE until it's fixed. I've never had any compelling reason to not use IE anyway.

MMM lets have an educated guess at this...

IE: one page open ~25meg of mem

Firefox: say 10pages open, a few flash sites/JAVA?

I see no problems. You try openeing 10 IE instances (cause it cant do tabs) and you will be bitchen more. Basically, Firefox rocks IE doesnt, get over it MS !!!!!!

eeyrjmr said:
MMM lets have an educated guess at this...

IE: one page open ~25meg of mem

Firefox: say 10pages open, a few flash sites/JAVA?

I see no problems. You try openeing 10 IE instances (cause it cant do tabs) and you will be bitchen more. Basically, Firefox rocks IE doesnt, get over it MS !!!!!!

Actually, IE can do tabs.. :) Shows where you've been.

http://images.betanews.com/albums/17/103.jpg

firevsie2.jpg

siliconnerd said:
Interesting, but it looks to be for Linux not Windows.

yes :p

that is a proposal for the browser itself as opposed to a tweak like

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1327586/posts

Fixing Firefox's memory leak

Posted on 01/24/2005 3:04:40 PM PST by Terpfen

I noticed a few Firefox threads here have people complaining about how much memory Firefox takes up. This is a known memory leak, and the Mozilla guys haven't gotten around to fixing it for whatever reason. But there's no reason your Firefox should take up 70,000K in memory, so here's how to fix that memory leak and keep Firefox from bloating up.

1. Open a new tab. Type "about:config" without quotes into the address bar and hit enter/click Go.

2. Right-click anywhere, select New, then Integer. In the dialog prompt that appears, type:

browser.cache.memory.capacity

3. Click OK. Another dialog prompt will appear. This is where you decide how much memory to allocate to Firefox. This depends on how much RAM your computer has, but generally you don't want to allocate too little (under 8MB), but if you allocate too much, you might as well not do this. A good recommended setting is 16MB. If you want 16MB, enter this value into the dialog prompt:

(Why 16384 instead of 16000? Because computers use base-12 counting. Thus 16 megabytes = 16384 bytes. Likewise, if you want to double that and allocate 32MB, you'd enter 32768.)

4. Click OK to close the dialog box, then close all instances of Firefox and restart. If your Firefox still uses the same amount of memory, give it a few minutes and it should slowly clear up. If that fails, try a system reboot.

Hope I did a service to some FReepers today.

Tried the trick.. My firefox has grown from 17mb to 48 mb so far.. I set for 16M

This is definately anecdotal evidence and probably doesn't mean much but below is the highest I have had FF go on my x64 system. Don't know why as I used to get 100mb or so if I didn't reboot for weeks on end with XP Pro (32bit) and 1.0.7. XP Pro x64 and 1.5 though only hit about 60 with 8 tabs open and the system+firefox running for 2 weeks.

personally I havent bothered with any memory tweaks since all my boxes have a 1GB or more of RAM
IMO while potentially important to some, its not the primary criteria denoting what is the best browser, personally considering that applications are now the primary infection vector for malware Id nominate browser security as the penultimate criteria

which is why I use Firefox w\ noscript and opera

Back