Found a cartrage of Yohsi's Island

Poordevil

Gawd
I found a copy of this SNES game in the give away. I have a working SNES and I heard that Yohsi's Island is a good game. Is it worth booting up? Or just too outdated to be any fun.

Awesome game. I would probably give it a play if my SNES hadn't died randomly :(

Absolutely loved that game, the only Mario platformer that I ever finished (no joke, couldn't stand SMW for some reason). I think they got it right with the "kiddy" atmosphere. The sequel on the DS kind of overdid it with the music which was a bad thing.

Well I fired it up! Everything still works.I guess everyone but me knows it is a side scrolling platformer, not really my kind of game. I have Zelda a Link to the Past and Final Fantasy III as well. I have the game displayed on a Sony XBR 910, which is a 16:9 CRT HDTV. The game seems to be 16:9 compatible because it fills the screen and doesn't look stretched. In fact the game looks all right considering it is what, 16 bit? Very colorful and I notice the more I spend time with it the better it looks. I think your brain starts to fill in the details after a while, lol!

I picked up this SNES on a fluke a few years ago. I was in a Gamestop looking for a used game and this guy brings in this SNES to sell. It was still in the box packed in styrofoam, looked brand new. I asked him if it worked and he said he didn't know because it had been in his closet for years! I thought, this console must work it looks pristine, so he sold it to Gamespot and I bought right then. It wasn't a lot of money, he sold it for $10 and I paid $20, something like that, I really don't remember the pricing. Since I bought the system I shopped for some used games for it and picked Zelda LTTP and FFIII. It was the first SNES I ever owned and mostly I bought it out of curiosity having heard so much about those games of old, but never played any of them. I didn't start gaming until the N64 and PC gaming a couple of years after that.

Indeed, I try hard not to be nostalgic about the good ol' SNES era, but damn there were genuinely good games back then. I can play them today and still love em. Timeless is the best way to put it.

I dunno whether the times have changed or I'm just getting older and more aware, but games back then never felt like "people" made them. I know it sounds dumb but I can't think of a better way to put it. There weren't glaring bugs that made me say, "Damn lazy developers." There weren't things in the game that made me say, "Greedy X company, all they care about is making money." Nothing about the company's agenda, or the efforts of the developers ever came to mind when playing these games.

edit: I guess it also has to do with the fact that you almost never get to follow the development of games and only witness a polished final product. There may be teasers here and there, but not much trailers and certainly no open beta testing. Note that I'm not saying that SNES games were bug-free, but they were generally less glaring and sometimes obscured by some oversights.

I picked up this SNES on a fluke a few years ago. I was in a Gamestop looking for a used game and this guy brings in this SNES to sell. It was still in the box packed in styrofoam, looked brand new. I asked him if it worked and he said he didn't know because it had been in his closet for years! I thought, this console must work it looks pristine, so he sold it to Gamespot and I bought right then. It wasn't a lot of money, he sold it for $10 and I paid $20, something like that, I really don't remember the pricing. Since I bought the system I shopped for some used games for it and picked Zelda LTTP and FFIII. It was the first SNES I ever owned and mostly I bought it out of curiosity having heard so much about those games of old, but never played any of them. I didn't start gaming until the N64 and PC gaming a couple of years after that.
You should have just bought it directly from him :p. If you had offered him $5 more than Gamestop was offering, you'd have saved $5 and he'd have made an extra $5.

A game from when developers gave a shit and tried to be original. Definitely worth a look.

You should have just bought it directly from him :p. If you had offered him $5 more than Gamestop was offering, you'd have saved $5 and he'd have made an extra $5.

He was at the desk making the transaction before I was even involved :D I bet it was the fastest turn over that clerk ever made! The SNES never left his front desk before he both bought and had it sold!

Yea, to add my 2c... Yoshi's Island is one of my favorites of all time. Sure, it's a platformer at heart, but when you add the egg-eating/throwing mechanic made things very interesting, especially after you get down the ricochet... PLUS, I think it may have been the first game to 'rate' your completion of the level based on (if I remember) sunflowers collected etc... Crazy replay value...

I think I may still have it laying around...

I know what I'm doing tonight...

I did that at Gamecrazy once and was asked to leave by the manager.
Yeah, anyone would probably get kicked out of the store for doing that, but at that point it doesn't really matter since you'll already have what you want ;). Personally, making Gamestop lose a bit of profit wouldn't make me lose any sleep considering how shitty their business practices are.

It's a great game. Fun new gameplay elements for a Mario game. Could be considered one of the first of the modern era Nintendo platformers.

Sprite graphics always hold up much better than polygons.

Yeah, anyone would probably get kicked out of the store for doing that, but at that point it doesn't really matter since you'll already have what you want ;). Personally, making Gamestop lose a bit of profit wouldn't make me lose any sleep considering how shitty their business practices are.

Yeah, I did that once at a pawn shop and pissed off the owner. :p

It's a dog eat dog world right? IMO you should have bought the SNES off the guy AND punched the gamestop manager in the face!

Maybe even knock over an old lady as you make your way out of the store.....twice.

They sure don't make games like that anymore... :-\

Someone should create an old school system like Sega/SNES and have freelance developers create the simple games for it. Make a brand new IP for old schoolers.

I'm pretty confident that we won't see anything of this caliber from indie developers. Old school classics were made from top-tier companies, developing on some of the the best hardware platforms on the market at the time. Today, there's not much of a point in creating artificial hardware limitations for sake of being retro. The "pride" simply won't be there.

All of those old games are fun, brings back memories of talking smack to my little brother and getting whooped, man that kid had magic thumbs back then

I'm pretty confident that we won't see anything of this caliber from indie developers. Old school classics were made from top-tier companies, developing on some of the the best hardware platforms on the market at the time. Today, there's not much of a point in creating artificial hardware limitations for sake of being retro. The "pride" simply won't be there.

After playing it, I would put Super Meat Boy up there. Very high quality.

Although there is something to be said for holding onto your old consoles and playing them once in awhile, I find that when it comes to the 16-bit and below era that you get better gameplay by using an emulator and a good gamepad with a decent layout. Reason being is that with some of the great graphics plugins (Super Eagle, 2xSAI, etc) those games can be made to look really sharp on a high resolution monitor. And funny enough Yoshi's Island actually lends itself REALLY well to Super Eagle...

I consider myself the world's biggest retro gamer (35 years young) and yet I still leave the SNES, NES, Genesis, TG16, etc packed safely in storage in favor of just using the PC. I figure this way my grandkids will have the actual consoles in good condition.

Weird? maybe....

I got SMW2 Yoshi Island when it came out, but I just couldn't get into it for some reason. I still remember the flowers and how the graphics and backgrounds looked like they were done using color pencils. It just put me to sleep :p. Kind of wish I gave it a chance and finished it seeing as a lot of people liked it. Come to think of it, by that point, I think I had just started getting into PC gaming (games like Elder Scrolls Arena, Day of the Tentacle, and King's Quest 6).

But yeah, the SNES was an amazing console. Amazing library. I still play the games on my PSP sometimes. Chrono Trigger FTW.

Yeah, I did that once at a pawn shop and pissed off the owner. :p

Heh. I watched a bidding war between pawn shop owner and random dude that wanted a 360 3 days after they hit the shelf's.

Pawn shop owner won after beating the guys $1500 mark with a $1700 + $500 gift cert. offer.

please tell me I'm not the only one that achieved all 100pts for all stages in that game.

this is [H] right?

Yea, to add my 2c... Yoshi's Island is one of my favorites of all time. Sure, it's a platformer at heart, but when you add the egg-eating/throwing mechanic made things very interesting, especially after you get down the ricochet... PLUS, I think it may have been the first game to 'rate' your completion of the level based on (if I remember) sunflowers collected etc... Crazy replay value...

I think I may still have it laying around...

I know what I'm doing tonight...

Did Sonic come out before Yoshi?

Back