Found a brand new XFX 7950 in closet.. Crossfire 7970+7950 or sell?

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
Apparently I bought a XFX 7950 DD at some point this summer and totally forgot about it :eek:. Was cleaning out a few things and found it just sitting there staring at me from the newegg box.

I've been out of the loop as far as PC hardware goes for a good little while so I'm not really even sure what the card is worth or when next gen cards are supposed to be out or anything like that.

Now, would it be worth it to Crossfire the card with my 7970 GHz edition card or would I be better off selling it? Any suggestions? If it makes any difference I normally game at 1080P, I used to do eyefinity but the support wasn't really all that great for the games I was playing so I went back to gaming on a single monitor and using my other two to have monitoring software and internet/music running. Games I'm currently playing are Arma 2, Arma 3, Borderlands 2, might get Battlefield 4 at some point.

Last edited:
I would avoid crossfire. Maybe sell this one and the 7970 when the 290 comes out?

I would avoid crossfire. Maybe sell this one and the 7970 when the 290 comes out?

Is it because CFX just wouldn't be worth it with these 2 cards or are there other issues still lurking with multi-gpus? Also, forgive me but what is the 290? I did a quick google search and all that netted me was old school amd opteron 290s

Is it because CFX just wouldn't be worth it with these 2 cards or are there other issues still lurking with multi-gpus? Also, forgive me but what is the 290? I did a quick google search and all that netted me was old school amd opteron 290s

New AMD GPU naming system.

With R9 290X

R9 XXX= X9XX = Market segment, Top
R8 XXX= X8XX = Middle
R7 XXX= X7XX = Low

RX 2XX = 2XXX = Generation of card

RX X50 = XX50 = Bottom
RX X70 = XX70 = Middle
RX X90 = XX90 = Top

The X on the end of R9 290X means it is an XT/Pro version

If it was a mobile part it would have an M in it.

So a 7970 would be a R9 770
But they are starting over with gens starting with GCN so the new cards are gen 2

Google AMD Radeon R9 290X

If you are going to sell it, the time would be NOW.

Damn I wish I could look into my closet and find brand new hardware.

It's worth nothing. I'll take that garbage off your hands. ;)

Hah! The only unused hardware I have in my closet is a CX430M which I am well aware of! I've never had a spare awesome GPU. Lol!

I would sell and pickup another 7970 if you think you'd benefit from the added performance. Maybe wait a bit until prices drop even more and then do it.

My Crossfire 7970+7950 been working great but pending reviews, I'll prolly end up with a R9 290X pretty soon.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think I'm just going to sell it while the value is still good and then eventually go with the R9 290x that everyone has been recommending :)

For Kyle's post to make sense there are 2 situations:

AMD would dish out a card with more performance than 7950+7970 CF, for a price below what used 7950+7970 sells on ebay today ( ~USD 460).

The leaks showed a card on Titan's level, so a notch below CF 7950+7970, but the rumored price is way above USD 460. So this possibility may be ruled out.

That leaves us with the alternative: a USD250 card with more performance than a 7970 is about to be released

All i ever find in my closet is used up hookers... not nearly as cool as new hardware.

In terms of selling NOW -- doesn't take a genius to know with the new R9 hardware on the horizon, the enthusiasts are going to be unloading their 7000 series stuff to fund upgrades. Basic economics means prices of 7950s and 7970s are going to drop as the market gets flooded with more and more hardware.

I would have plunked down 600 dollars today instantly for a R9 290x - too bad either they sold out instantly or they haven't sold any preorders yet at all (as of 1pm oct 3rd) A little snooping told me the price for this bundle $730 -- hell to the no.

I just laughed -- and fired up a coupon on gamefly and bought BF4 preorder with a 20% off coupon. 7970's will carry me just fine for another 6 months.

Apparently I bought a XFX 7950 DD at some point this summer and totally forgot about it :eek:.

How do you forget about something like that? Mayhaps you need to get tested for multiple personality disorder. You've got a Tyler Durden blowing all your money on high end PC hardware.

I found some old Halloween candy in my closet......:eek:

I agree.
The statement was just what it was. New stuff is coming, guys will be massively unloading 7970 and 7950s and the price will drop.

You'll get more today for that new card than you will in a couple weeks for sure, but the impending 290s are still going to make folks want to pay less for used/last Gen hardware.

I'm actually selling my 7950 -- just don't need it anymore (I have 3 other 7970's in my house)

Was tempted to sell the 7970s too and get a 290X "For free" but at 790 dollars after taxes -- retailers can go fuck themselves.

selling almost 8000 shaders across 4 video cards -- and get what? 2800 in return and a copy of a free game? nah.

AMD is making all the right moves lately -- but I would say in my opinion they are bumbling this launch.

Apparently I bought a XFX 7950 DD at some point this summer and totally forgot about it :eek:. Was cleaning out a few things and found it just sitting there staring at me from the newegg box.

Most salient point here - you apparently bought a 7950 and still don't remember it? I would think anyone would remember... Is it possibly a family members / left by the video card fairy? I recommend taking it to the nearest police station to place in the lost / found.

Back