Forza Horizon 5 (Mexico)

You know, I loved FH4 but honestly I don't see much of a reason to buy this. I might try it since I still have Game Pass until January, but all of the wheelspins and random crap just did not appeal to me. I also hated the exclusive cars that you could only get in some random event and then basically never again, without having to try to snipe one on the auction house. Hated everything about that system, just let me earn all of the cars available at my own pace.
Understandable. I've come to accept the junk food that this game is (and has always been).

https://twitter.com/forza_support/status/1458489188223909893

WvBQS8U.jpg

Reactions: zrikz
like this
Steering needs to be set to Simulation for the cars to be really responsive. The Forza games also us an AI algorithm for steering with controller and keyboard such that you are never turning much further than you need for a corner. Meaning with a keyboard you need to hold the direction you want to go. The friction model of the tires in the Forza games are also almost linear in how it reacts to braking and accelerating while turning, meaning to be quicker you need to finish your braking before a turn rather than trailing a little like you should in real life. The effect of the traction circle is exacerbated if you use Normal steering instead of Simulation, as the algorithm for Normal steering is going to do all it can to keep the available traction on the inside tire within the 100% range.

All that said, in my opinion Forza has always been the best feeling game for controller players because their steering algorithm in general does an excellent job. Most other games don't bother with it, which makes the game a dance fest for your thumb to balance where the turning angle needs to be.

This was my first foray into the series and I did like the various options. The Simulation side sounded like it would require more activity / better sync with a wheel (simulation) style vs my keyboard preference lol. I did mess with it for a bit but did not seem to notice much so I dialed it back one setting. It sounds like I really should have stayed in that mode and it may have grown on me a bit more. I think that they could improve explanations of settings to avoid confusion like that and better highlight what things do.

Was not aware of the steering algorithm, that description is a good way to explain part of what I really disliked about the controls. I felt like I was understeering all the time at speeds and in cars that should be sliding more without needing the handbrake. I used the Supra most figuring it a reasonable balance of tail happy and stability at higher speeds but wouldn't take too much to let the butt loose. I drove in manual without the clutch requirement to focus on getting a feel for the game. At lower speeds turning still felt sluggish and slow for the wheels to crank over. Did not expect instant movement but it just felt slowwww like the power steering was turned off. So your mention of that AI control setup makes a lot of sense now.

I did like how the wheels with ABS off would tend to lock up quickly (especially on keyboard with no linear progression of a "pedal") and the car would really not turn until off of the breaks which if the wheels had turned and would have steered the car better I would have enjoyed the need to actually break and work for the race. I got it semi working by just using the hand break a bit to pseudo drift.

I also played around at different speeds keeping the car in 3rd, 4th, 5th to see if it would turn more easily at low speeds vs high and it did not seem to matter.

Sadly steams 2 hour's is not enough time to really vette some of these situations and games. Maybe I'll give it another go eventually. Appreciate the good feedback on how things work. Had they put that in their menu more obviously I may not have had the same concerns :)

Got a free Regera in a regular wheelspin last night, but otherwise my wheelspin luck has been pretty terrible this time around. In FH4 the Aventador FE was one of the first cars I got from a wheelspin. I got a few FE cars in FH5, but none of them are anything special.

Got a free Regera in a regular wheelspin last night, but otherwise my wheelspin luck has been pretty terrible this time around. In FH4 the Aventador FE was one of the first cars I got from a wheelspin. I got a few FE cars in FH5, but none of them are anything special.
Wait until you get the BMW X5 FE. Jesus tapdancing christ that thing is insane to start with and, after modding, is my fastest vehicle out of 170 so far.

Wait until you get the BMW X5 FE. Jesus tapdancing christ that thing is insane to start with and, after modding, is my fastest vehicle out of 170 so far.
You get it with one of the DLC. I had it right from the start.

What an annoying 2021 game. Graphics look great but my god, the amount of wokeness is infuriating. You can't even make a female character that looks anything like a female. Every hair style is either lesbo looking or femanazi karen.

What an annoying 2021 game. Graphics look great but my god, the amount of wokeness is infuriating. You can't even make a female character that looks anything like a female. Every hair style is either lesbo looking or femanazi karen.
i certainly agree that the character "creator" is absolute garbage

as for the rest, take it to soapbox, kthbye

i certainly agree that the character "creator" is absolute garbage

as for the rest, take it to soapbox, kthbye
I was kinda mad that I could make someone with two prosthetic arms or two prosthetic legs, but couldn’t make a person with all prosthetic limbs. What the hell, this is 2021 people.

The character models and animations are horrible all the way around, while there are a couple stupid woke (choosing pronouns) issues, I really don't think their lack of ability to create a good character model is part of that.

I was playing at a drag strip and some guy rolled up and suddenly everyone was doing 500mph. Sure thats gonna be on a leaderboard somewhere lol

I turned off Ray Tracing as it wasn't worth the performance penalty. I literally gained 20 fps (from 60 to 80) at 4K by disabling it and I hardly noticed the difference. Even so, I maintain that while it's more GPU intensive, I still feel that FH4 looked better (and obviously wasn't as demanding). Despite that, I'm looking forward to playing some more this weekend.

They really screwed up not releasing FM8 between FH4 and FH5 this go round. Thankfully we get Gran Turismo 7 in March.
If I am not mistaken Horizon 5 is a cross-platform title meaning it can be played on even the OG Xbox One... my understanding is the next game "Forza Motorsport" is being developed top to bottom specifically for the Series X|S consoles. So it makes sense that Forza Motorsport is taking longer being that they are developing it specifically for the next-gen consoles... and may not even be playable on the previous gen.

Also it's funny to read the "woke" comments above about a character creator in a racing game... it's always the people who use words like "woke" that get mad at everyone around them for getting offended at everything... but a character designer in a RACING game, and the ability to create a pronoun... how do people constantly get upset at things that literally don't affect them personally whatsoever? It's recreational outrage over something that doesn't at all apply to you personally.

Without turning this into a political thread and back to Forza... there sure is a lot of complaining in this thread... like... is the game fun? I think it's fun. The graphics are incredible so idk what the fuck you guys are going on about. Have you seen Digital Foundry's video about this game? The graphics on a Series X are just incredible and to suggest they're not is just willful ignorance or some sort of general "PC Master Race" superiority complex.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken Horizon 5 is a cross-platform title meaning it can be played on even the OG Xbox One... my understanding is the next game "Forza Motorsport" is being developed top to bottom specifically for the Series X|S consoles. So it makes sense that Forza Motorsport is taking longer being that they are developing it specifically for the next-gen consoles... and may not even be playable on the previous gen.

It was due out in the fall of 2019, even if they were making it a Series exclusive it could have been a release day drop with the Series consoles. After getting a FM every other year since 2005, it's been a big disappointment that we're now going on at least 5 years between versions.

It was due out in the fall of 2019, even if they were making it a Series exclusive it could have been a release day drop with the Series consoles. After getting a FM every other year since 2005, it's been a big disappointment that we're now going on at least 5 years between versions.
COVID essentially started around December 2019 so is the delay really that much of a surprise? I bet production likely slowed or was delayed a LOT early and throughout last year when COVID was all over the news and reached peak "scare."

Also Forza 7 came out October 2017. Which means we just last month got to the 4th anniversary of it's release so idk where you get this "at least 5 years between versions" comes from. You sound awfully entitled like they owe you a new Forza game. Forza 8 or whatever they end up calling it will just be a graphically better version of 7 which is already a fantastic and complete racing game. More cars going over the same historic tracks... Forza 7 already runs at 4K @ 60fps on Xbox One X and above so while a new Forza would be nice it will be just like Forza 7... driving cars around the same tracks but with better graphics. Go play Forza 7 again or something.

Forza Horizon 5 PC: In-Game Ray Tracing Mod - RT On/Off Comparisons + Performance Tests

COVID essentially started around December 2019 so is the delay really that much of a surprise? I bet production likely slowed or was delayed a LOT early and throughout last year when COVID was all over the news and reached peak "scare."

Also Forza 7 came out October 2017. Which means we just last month got to the 4th anniversary of it's release so idk where you get this "at least 5 years between versions" comes from. You sound awfully entitled like they owe you a new Forza game. Forza 8 or whatever they end up calling it will just be a graphically better version of 7 which is already a fantastic and complete racing game. More cars going over the same historic tracks... Forza 7 already runs at 4K @ 60fps on Xbox One X and above so while a new Forza would be nice it will be just like Forza 7... driving cars around the same tracks but with better graphics. Go play Forza 7 again or something.

Forza Motorsport 2005
Forza Motorsport 2 2007
Forza Motorsport 3 2009
Forza Motorsport 4 2011
Forza Motorsport 5 2013
Forza Motorsport 6 2015
Forza Motorsport 7 2017
Forza Motorsport 8 2022 maybe?

Do you see the break in the pattern? Do you see where it will be at least 5 years between releases when it's always been 2? For those of us who have been playing it for 16 years now, it was pretty much a given that FM had a release every other year and they added FH back in 2012 making them staggered alternating releases every year. They're starting to get on the GT release scale at this point with FM.

Forza Motorsport 2005
Forza Motorsport 2 2007
Forza Motorsport 3 2009
Forza Motorsport 4 2011
Forza Motorsport 5 2013
Forza Motorsport 6 2015
Forza Motorsport 7 2017

Do you see the break in the pattern? Do you see where it will be at least 5 years between releases when it's always been 2? For those of us who have been playing it for 16 years now, it was pretty much a given that FM had a release every other year and they added FH back in 2012 making them staggered alternating releases every year. They're starting to get on the GT release scale at this point with FM.
Just because a single game in the series' 17 year history won't make its usual 2 year release? The delayed release to me bodes well. It makes me think they're actually taking the time to rebuild it despite promises from prior entries.

Make sure you vote with your wallet and boycott the game. Only way to "show them".
Forza 8 or whatever they end up calling it will just be a graphically better version of 7 which is already a fantastic and complete racing game. More cars going over the same historic tracks...
Its a new engine built from the ground up. Horizon 5 will be the last on the ported to UWP FM5 engine.

Forza Motorsport 2005
Forza Motorsport 2 2007
Forza Motorsport 3 2009
Forza Motorsport 4 2011
Forza Motorsport 5 2013
Forza Motorsport 6 2015
Forza Motorsport 7 2017

I'm okay with it. I used to be a huge Gran Turismo nut but Forza for years has surpassed Gran Turismo to me. I don't mind waiting.

Just because a single game in the series' 17 year history won't make its usual 2 year release? The delayed release to me bodes well. It makes me think they're actually taking the time to rebuild it despite promises from prior entries.

They announced it in July of 2020 and yet we’re still here with back to back FH releases instead of a FM release. It sucks because FM is the better franchise and the Horizon series is just something to occupy your time while you wait for Motorsport. So hopefully they get back to the things that made FM great, like actual real engine swaps from other models instead of the generic ones they went to.

Guys I've done part of the intro like 5 times because this game keeps silently crashing to desktop. Reddit says there's like 10 things to turn off (including killing explorer.exe), wtf?

I got the streaming bandwidth error and saw that my spinner was at 100% transfering at around 150mb/s. Wow

I turned off my GPU overclock and moved the game from a spinner to an SSD and same thing deal with the crashing.

I can't play at the moment but anyone here experiencing issues ??

Guys I've done part of the intro like 5 times because this game keeps silently crashing to desktop. Reddit says there's like 10 things to turn off (including killing explorer.exe), wtf?

I got the streaming bandwidth error and saw that my spinner was at 100% transfering at around 150mb/s. Wow

I turned off my GPU overclock and moved the game from a spinner to an SSD and same thing deal with the crashing.

I can't play at the moment but anyone here experiencing issues ??
i cant remember if it was the last horizon or ms but i couldnt run it at all with afterburner or rivatuner on. do you have that or any other overlays/monitoring enabled?

i cant remember if it was the last horizon or ms but i couldnt run it at all with afterburner or rivatuner on. do you have that or any other overlays/monitoring enabled?
Afterburner yep, I'll turn it off.

Part of me says just play on Xbox but I was getting surprisingly decent performance on my rig during that intro. 1080ti and 2700x was getting between 80-110 fps using the high global preset.

Are you playing on a TV or computer monitor? I've noticed a "oversteery" feel when gaming on my living room TV that's not set to "game mode".
I haven't noticed any of this on my PC or series x on a monitor

it's kind of shocking how lazy playground has been getting in many aspects... just went and had a look at the FH5 barn finds and most of them are cars from previous games. wth? that's so fucking lazy... barn finds should be a showcase for cars new to the series and be exciting to find for that reason. instead they're just rehashed cars we've seen before. so freaking uninspired.
That's disappointing to know.

I have only spent about 4-5 hours in-game and I haven't had any crashes. I turned everything to the max at 2k resolution
I absolutely ate these words. Have had about 6-7 crashes since the post and probably 10-15 server disconnect messages. I never get booted but still annoying. Is this occurring on Xbox also or just PC?

That's disappointing to know.
it's really strange how the series is like a 50/50 mixture of completely uninspired (car list, barn finds, "story", etc) and amazing (graphics, environments, overall variety of stuff to do). like the quality is generally at such a high bar but some stuff makes me want to be able to interrogate lead devs and ask why some of that stuff is just "good enough" for them.

i guess the simple answer is probably that competition is both scarce and an easy standard to exceed (The Crew 2, NFS Whateverthefuck.)

Awesome!

The red/black striped one, that’s been my fave body style, since it debuted. But, I love Vipers. Always have. Even watched the “Viper” TV show in the 90’s.
Hell yeah, that body style is rad. I like the latest gen, too, you know, the one that sold two cars in like three years or something, lol...

Back