Forza Horizon 5 (Mexico)

Didn't know gifting them gave points back. Thanks! Going to keep doing that for more easy spins because I assume this will be changed soon.

One thing I've been doing is buying all the cheap clothing. Don't want to waste wheelspin spots on cheap stuff like that. Worst case, you get a common money amount that's more than the clothing item, but usually it's something a lot more. It does add up to a few million, but better in the long run. Getting a lot more cars. Now only if you could buy horns and dances...

I got the Sesto Elemento FE in a wheelspin and it's pretty crazy.

I cannot believe we are still derping around with the stupid avatar system and clothing and dances and ughh.

I cannot believe we are still derping around with the stupid avatar system and clothing and dances and ughh.
I really wish they gave you the option to just carry over your drivatar from FH4, since it seems like you're the exact same character with the British accent and everything the way the game treats you. It makes no sense that you didn't pack anything if you're supposed to be the same person.

I really wish they gave you the option to just carry over your drivatar from FH4, since it seems like you're the exact same character with the British accent and everything the way the game treats you. It makes no sense that you didn't pack anything if you're supposed to be the same person.
I think this is the first time your in-game avatar is talking? I remember selecting the voice and saying to myself "hm, this is the first time I've ever had to do this."

I think this is the first time your in-game avatar is talking? I remember selecting the voice and saying to myself "hm, this is the first time I've ever had to do this."
Is it? Still, the British accent coming from the prior game taking place in Great Britain is a dead giveaway.

Forza Horizon 5 PC: Can Graphics Scale Beyond Xbox Series X? Optimised Settings + More

LOL, the difficulty setting literally just changes the opponents straight line speed. On novice they are about the same speed as my car, on expert they pull away like I'm standing still with the same performance level car. I'm really disappointed in this.

Also tried to play with wheel, and the steering is vague and has zero feel or feedback apart from a very strong centering spring. Raising the FF intensity only makes the wheel randomly jerk a bit there is no useful feedback on what the car is actually doing. I know, I know this is not a sim, but TDU had pretty good feedback on the grip, here I feel nothing. RWD cars feel like driving on ice with a wheel, have to drive like walking on eggshells, virtually making all RWD cars useless.

Another issue of mine is that the maximum fov depending on view is like 50-60° ?! Who thought this is a good idea? I can't see shit, I'm used to playing with at least 80-90° fov. This makes the chase view the only viable view for me, which ruins immersion (what little the cringe VO didn't already ruin)

LOL, the difficulty setting literally just changes the opponents straight line speed. On novice they are about the same speed as my car, on expert they pull away like I'm standing still with the same performance level car. I'm really disappointed in this.

Also tried to play with wheel, and the steering is vague and has zero feel or feedback apart from a very strong centering spring. Raising the FF intensity only makes the wheel randomly jerk a bit there is no useful feedback on what the car is actually doing. I know, I know this is not a sim, but TDU had pretty good feedback on the grip, here I feel nothing. RWD cars feel like driving on ice with a wheel, have to drive like walking on eggshells, virtually making all RWD cars useless.

Another issue of mine is that the maximum fov depending on view is like 50-60° ?! Who thought this is a good idea? I can't see shit, I'm used to playing with at least 80-90° fov. This makes the chase view the only viable view for me, which ruins immersion (what little the cringe VO didn't already ruin)
Agree about the difficulty. They put some extreme reverse rubberbanding in this game for some reason. As soon as you are able to get into first it is usually not an issue, but I've seen some AI seemingly gain double the horsepower to rocket by you with Unbeatable AI. Maybe since it's still based on the drivatar system it will get better as more people start to play it for longer.

Can't comment on the wheel control since I'm not using a wheel, but feedback does seem to be more of an issue than prior games. I was having an issue with locking the brakes up too easily early on, but I think I've gotten used to it.

FOV is the same as all the prior games. The driver view actually seems like the most realistic, but I stick to the cockpit view for the wider view since this is a game and I can't freely move my head around. You can turn your view with the right stick on a controller, but that means you have to change your thumb position and it's not the same as actually moving your head and/or eyes. The human eye's focal range is only 40-60 degrees depending on the person. Outside of that range everything falls out of focus. I still think they should bring back the FOV adjustments they had in FM3 and FM4 despite being comfortable with it. This is still a game, after all.

Agree about the difficulty. They put some extreme reverse rubberbanding in this game for some reason. As soon as you are able to get into first it is usually not an issue, but I've seen some AI seemingly gain double the horsepower to rocket by you with Unbeatable AI. Maybe since it's still based on the drivatar system it will get better as more people start to play it for longer.
I don't know what a drivatar is, I'm just annoyed by them infesting the freeroam, is there a way to turn them off and just have regular traffic? This was already a problem in TDU, random ai lunatics infesting your game, but they were rare in that game, here there seems to be a quadzillion of them.
Can't comment on the wheel control since I'm not using a wheel, but feedback does seem to be more of an issue than prior games. I was having an issue with locking the brakes up too easily early on, but I think I've gotten used to it.
Not just the brakes, the acceleration is a problem too. Even with analog throttle you either spin the wheels like crazy or not accelerating at all. There is no way to get a good launch. About that braking, you can lock up the wheels while braking even with ABS on, He?
FOV is the same as all the prior games. The driver view actually seems like the most realistic, but I stick to the cockpit view for the wider view since this is a game and I can't freely move my head around. You can turn your view with the right stick on a controller, but that means you have to change your thumb position and it's not the same as actually moving your head and/or eyes. The human eye's focal range is only 40-60 degrees depending on the person. Outside of that range everything falls out of focus. I still think they should bring back the FOV adjustments they had in FM3 and FM4 despite being comfortable with it. This is still a game, after all.
I don't remember having this issue with FH4, I can't see the road ahead properly can't feel the driving line at all until its too late. Even on the nth lap it is impossible to nail turning and braking points. The view is just too compressed, it's like looking through teleobjective lenses all the time.

I don't know what a drivatar is, I'm just annoyed by them infesting the freeroam, is there a way to turn them off and just have regular traffic? This was already a problem in TDU, random ai lunatics infesting your game, but they were rare in that game, here there seems to be a quadzillion of them.

Not just the brakes, the acceleration is a problem too. Even with analog throttle you either spin the wheels like crazy or not accelerating at all. There is no way to get a good launch. About that braking, you can lock up the wheels while braking even with ABS on, He?

I don't remember having this issue with FH4, I can't see the road ahead properly can't feel the driving line at all until its too late. Even on the nth lap it is impossible to nail turning and braking points. The view is just too compressed, it's like looking through teleobjective lenses all the time.
To get rid of the drivatars in free roam you need to connect to a Horizon Life session. All of the online players are ghosted in free roam, so you don't have to worry about trolls. Free roam is much more enjoyable in Horizon Life because of that. You can turn online player challenges to automatically decline if you don't want to deal with randoms challenging you to head-to-head races.

I don't use ABS in Forza games. It was still possible to feel visually and through rumble where the lock up point was. In FH5 they either made that feedback more subtle or got rid of it completely so it's almost an on-off switch. I'm not having an issue with the throttle in RWD cars, though. If you're using a wheel check the deadzone settings in the game. I think FM7 had the default outside deadzone for the gas pedal at something ridiculously small like 60 or 70. Increasing it to 100 like it should be got rid of that issue for me in FM7.

I can't say on the view issue. One thing I do notice is that the zoom and blur effect from moving faster has been reduced, which I like, but might be affecting your visual perception. The reduction in those effects has actually helped me perceive where I'm going better compared to prior games, but that may just be me.

what would we ever do without feather boas and sequinned rainbow daisy dukes? As far as trolling ghost cars.. it can be done. :) Pit maneuver a large bus/18wheeler while ghosts chase you. (easier in winter) Pack tunnels with turned around vehicles on blind turns. If you get bored of perks farming and racing, you should try it. It's hilariously fun and sometimes other randos join in when they see wtf happened after they smashed into a pile of cars at 200mph+ returning from a speed run. Another thing to pass time is to push things onto the end of speed runs straights and wait.

To get rid of the drivatars in free roam you need to connect to a Horizon Life session. All of the online players are ghosted in free roam, so you don't have to worry about trolls. Free roam is much more enjoyable in Horizon Life because of that. You can turn online player challenges to automatically decline if you don't want to deal with randoms challenging you to head-to-head races.
It doesn't want to connect for some reason, only offline mode works.
I don't use ABS in Forza games. It was still possible to feel visually and through rumble where the lock up point was. In FH5 they either made that feedback more subtle or got rid of it completely so it's almost an on-off switch. I'm not having an issue with the throttle in RWD cars, though. If you're using a wheel check the deadzone settings in the game. I think FM7 had the default outside deadzone for the gas pedal at something ridiculously small like 60 or 70. Increasing it to 100 like it should be got rid of that issue for me in FM7.
It's unplayable with a wheel, I've switched to keyboard and the driving is suddenly super easy, even RWD cars with all assists off.

I can't say on the view issue. One thing I do notice is that the zoom and blur effect from moving faster has been reduced, which I like, but might be affecting your visual perception. The reduction in those effects has actually helped me perceive where I'm going better compared to prior games, but that may just be me.
It's fine in 3rd person chase view, but in-car and bumper / bonnet views just don't work for me in this game, where in all other racing games I never ever used chase view.

IDK what's the point of the game BTW, I literally did nothing, finished the intro and entered two races, and I Already have a mclaren senna and a bunch of other supercars in my garage, where is the progression?

It's unplayable with a wheel, I've switched to keyboard and the driving is suddenly super easy, even RWD cars with all assists off.

It's fine in 3rd person chase view, but in-car and bumper / bonnet views just don't work for me in this game, where in all other racing games I never ever used chase view.

IDK what's the point of the game BTW, I literally did nothing, finished the intro and entered two races, and I Already have a mclaren senna and a bunch of other supercars in my garage, where is the progression?
Even if it doesn't want to connect you'll get the benefits of no drivatars in free roam. It should only be when you manually go into the menu and choose the Horizon Solo option that it throws you into offline mode.

The Senna is part of the loyalty rewards you get at the start. You get the cover car for every game you've played since FM4. Just because you have them doesn't mean you need to use them. Both FM and FH have pivoted away from the slower progression since FM4 because the loudest people online would frequently complain that they couldn't drive what they wanted soon enough. I honestly don't like it, but it is what it is.

just curious, are you one of those pc players who assumes "more is better" for everything including FOV and plays most games like this?

just curious, are you one of those pc players who assumes "more is better" for everything including FOV and plays most games like this?

No need to be facetious. The hFOV of cockpit view is 75, if I remember correctly, and the driver view is 50 degrees. It could be an issue for some people at monitor viewing distance, but I actually think the far chase came is 75 like the cockpit.

Even if it doesn't want to connect you'll get the benefits of no drivatars in free roam. It should only be when you manually go into the menu and choose the Horizon Solo option that it throws you into offline mode.
No it just keeps spamming me with connection error messages until I switch to horizon solo.

The Senna is part of the loyalty rewards you get at the start. You get the cover car for every game you've played since FM4. Just because you have them doesn't mean you need to use them. Both FM and FH have pivoted away from the slower progression since FM4 because the loudest people online would frequently complain that they couldn't drive what they wanted soon enough. I honestly don't like it, but it is what it is.
LOL, I always found these rewards ridiculous. We see you played these games before, here let us ruin this new one for you :-D

No need to be facetious. The hFOV of cockpit view is 75, if I remember correctly, and the driver view is 50 degrees. It could be an issue for some people at monitor viewing distance, but I actually think the far chase came is 75 like the cockpit.
Not exactly:

max.png

It is probably exasperated by having an ultrawide monitor also. Meaning you'd need more fov to compensate for that alone.

Last edited:
FFS, just as it finally connected to the online service, the sound issue came back. I'm very close to uninstalling this right now.

No it just keeps spamming me with connection error messages until I switch to horizon solo.

LOL, I always found these rewards ridiculous. We see you played these games before, here let us ruin this new one for you :-D
You'll keep getting hit with those alerts, but it will eventually time out and stop bugging you. After that you'll still be in "online" mode with no drivatars.
Not exactly:

View attachment 411028

It is probably exasperated by having an ultrawide monitor also. Meaning you'd need more fov to compensate for that alone.
Ah, so they do have the FOV adjustments in the game. I have not looked that deep. They are probably limited due to the assets for the dashboard, plus the fact that going too wide is going to make the windows extremely small. An ultrawide requires the size of the viewport to be increased rather than increasing the hFOV, otherwise you'll still get fisheye. So a 70 hFOV with a properly-sized ultrawide viewport would work fine. Plenty of racing games can do this properly, but it doesn't surprise me that the still console-focused Microsoft developers are not taking that into consideration.

extremely close to refunding my steam purchase... the game has crashing issues for me, and stuttering, especially bad when connected to an online session (which is how i prefer to play Horizon games.) might check it out again in a few weeks/months after some patches and/or online backend fixes.

extremely close to refunding my steam purchase... the game has crashing issues for me, and stuttering, especially bad when connected to an online session (which is how i prefer to play Horizon games.) might check it out again in a few weeks/months after some patches and/or online backend fixes.

It's cheaper to pick up gamepass if you're just looking to check it out then purchase it outright on Steam. You can get 3 months for a $1 right now.

It's cheaper to pick up gamepass if you're just looking to check it out then purchase it outright on Steam. You can get 3 months for a $1 right now.
yeah. i just greatly prefer to use steam as the launcher, i've got some complaints about how the MS Store/Xbox version of games are packaged.

Picked this up today on pc game pass. Beautiful game but I can't seem to run it more than ~~7ish minutes at a time before I get a freeze and silent crash. Not really sure what to do. No error screens to try and trouble shoot.

Initially I would silent crash in start up on first time run after the first 2 logos and then it would be good. Now mid race or start of a race I get a crash, very frustrating.

Running everything on extreme, no fps or performance issues when playing.

Win 11, rtx 3080, amd 5800x 32gigs o ram.

Will try again tomorrow but if it keeps happening gonna have to give up and wait until a patch or two unfortunately.

Playing this on Series X in performance mode on a C1 and am happy so far. I tried to do the all roads thing first that some of you hardcore guys did and got bored after 60ish.

At some point I’ll probably hook up a PC with a 3080 and try running it in true 4K but it probably won’t be noticeably better.

I had issues getting signed into my MS account for some reason. Took like 10 minutes and a reboot. It doesn't seem to like screen capture software either as it flat would not load with a few different types running. Even if I loaded and then launched it would close the game as soon as the software finished loading but not a big deal.

I like all of the settings options and thought for folks who need assistance and that but set mine to the one prior to simulation, turned off abs, used manual without the clutch (to get a feel for the game) and jumped in. Played well at my native resolution on fairly high settings. Parts of the world looked great other parts okay. Cars looked and sounded great of course.

I typically play on the keyboard and enjoy it but I just never felt connected to the car and to the terrain. Everything felt super sluggish and "dead". With a keyboard its typically full engagement so you tap to feather it. Switched to my controller for a bit and found it to be similar even after messing with some of the sensitivity / dead zone stuff. Played about 90 minutes of my 2 hour steam window and decided I just wasn't into it which was disappointing. Can see why it is a popular series and I was excited for a new game which is disappointing. Never been interested in the series before some of 4's video's and all of the hype for 5.

Picked this up today on pc game pass. Beautiful game but I can't seem to run it more than ~~7ish minutes at a time before I get a freeze and silent crash. Not really sure what to do. No error screens to try and trouble shoot.

Initially I would silent crash in start up on first time run after the first 2 logos and then it would be good. Now mid race or start of a race I get a crash, very frustrating.

Running everything on extreme, no fps or performance issues when playing.

Win 11, rtx 3080, amd 5800x 32gigs o ram.

Will try again tomorrow but if it keeps happening gonna have to give up and wait until a patch or two unfortunately.
From observation it seems a lot of people reporting issues are on Windows 11. I've had one crash with Windows 10 the first time I played the game, and it's been fine ever since.
I had issues getting signed into my MS account for some reason. Took like 10 minutes and a reboot. It doesn't seem to like screen capture software either as it flat would not load with a few different types running. Even if I loaded and then launched it would close the game as soon as the software finished loading but not a big deal.

I like all of the settings options and thought for folks who need assistance and that but set mine to the one prior to simulation, turned off abs, used manual without the clutch (to get a feel for the game) and jumped in. Played well at my native resolution on fairly high settings. Parts of the world looked great other parts okay. Cars looked and sounded great of course.

I typically play on the keyboard and enjoy it but I just never felt connected to the car and to the terrain. Everything felt super sluggish and "dead". With a keyboard its typically full engagement so you tap to feather it. Switched to my controller for a bit and found it to be similar even after messing with some of the sensitivity / dead zone stuff. Played about 90 minutes of my 2 hour steam window and decided I just wasn't into it which was disappointing. Can see why it is a popular series and I was excited for a new game which is disappointing. Never been interested in the series before some of 4's video's and all of the hype for 5.
Steering needs to be set to Simulation for the cars to be really responsive. The Forza games also us an AI algorithm for steering with controller and keyboard such that you are never turning much further than you need for a corner. Meaning with a keyboard you need to hold the direction you want to go. The friction model of the tires in the Forza games are also almost linear in how it reacts to braking and accelerating while turning, meaning to be quicker you need to finish your braking before a turn rather than trailing a little like you should in real life. The effect of the traction circle is exacerbated if you use Normal steering instead of Simulation, as the algorithm for Normal steering is going to do all it can to keep the available traction on the inside tire within the 100% range.

All that said, in my opinion Forza has always been the best feeling game for controller players because their steering algorithm in general does an excellent job. Most other games don't bother with it, which makes the game a dance fest for your thumb to balance where the turning angle needs to be.

Well, thought I had fixed it by turning off vsync, managed to get through a whole race, but as soon as I hit a cut scene it crashed. Tried again and about 60 seconds driving around it just silently dies. Meh, hopefully a patch soon, it was fun while it worked.

Well, thought I had fixed it by turning off vsync, managed to get through a whole race, but as soon as I hit a cut scene it crashed. Tried again and about 60 seconds driving around it just silently dies. Meh, hopefully a patch soon, it was fun while it worked.
I have only spent about 4-5 hours in-game and I haven't had any crashes. I turned everything to the max at 2k resolution

All that said, in my opinion Forza has always been the best feeling game for controller players because their steering algorithm in general does an excellent job. Most other games don't bother with it, which makes the game a dance fest for your thumb to balance where the turning angle needs to be.
nice post! there's an art form to tuning gamepad controls for a racing game with realistic pretensions, and like you said, Forza is and always has been way out ahead on that front. i refunded for now because of crashing and network issues but the first thing i noticed/was reminded of is just how good it feels on a gamepad. also, it seems to have had some very subtle under the hood (pun intended) tweaks to both the gamepad tuning and the actual physics engine that made it feel better than ever.

really hope to go back to it after some patches.

nice post! there's an art form to tuning gamepad controls for a racing game with realistic pretensions, and like you said, Forza is and always has been way out ahead on that front. i refunded for now because of crashing and network issues but the first thing i noticed/was reminded of is just how good it feels on a gamepad. also, it seems to have had some very subtle under the hood (pun intended) tweaks to both the gamepad tuning and the actual physics engine that made it feel better than ever.

really hope to go back to it after some patches.
It still feels quite "oversteery," but it is certainly much better. I don't know if the oversteering feeling can be completely eliminated when you need to allow for more steering lock in a game like this, though.

It still feels quite "oversteery," but it is certainly much better. I don't know if the oversteering feeling can be completely eliminated when you need to allow for more steering lock in a game like this, though.
Are you playing on a TV or computer monitor? I've noticed a "oversteery" feel when gaming on my living room TV that's not set to "game mode".

they really should have added ray-tracing (outside of the Garage) for PC players...the graphics seem nice but also could have been better

it's kind of shocking how lazy playground has been getting in many aspects... just went and had a look at the FH5 barn finds and most of them are cars from previous games. wth? that's so fucking lazy... barn finds should be a showcase for cars new to the series and be exciting to find for that reason. instead they're just rehashed cars we've seen before. so freaking uninspired.

You know, I loved FH4 but honestly I don't see much of a reason to buy this. I might try it since I still have Game Pass until January, but all of the wheelspins and random crap just did not appeal to me. I also hated the exclusive cars that you could only get in some random event and then basically never again, without having to try to snipe one on the auction house. Hated everything about that system, just let me earn all of the cars available at my own pace.

Back