Forza Horizon 3

Uhhh..... Can someone help me figure out how to install this?

I've read ALL over you don't really need Windows 10. I purchased through the browser. After the purchase was done absolutely nothing happened to download the game. wtf

Uhhh..... Can someone help me figure out how to install this?

I've read ALL over you don't really need Windows 10. I purchased through the browser. After the purchase was done absolutely nothing happened to download the game. wtf

You must be on Windows 10 Anniversary Update. It looks like they've fixed this now so that all you have to do is click the "Install" button on the Forza Horizon 3 page. The button used to say "Manage" and was confusing.

What a crock of shit.

The best part about their website is that when I go to order history to initiate a refund it shows "No order history". Microsoft can go screw themselves. Put it on Steam.

2rmqct2.png

1z1zo5w.png

I have a GTX 980 with an i7 6700k, 16gb ram. I can't go past high on the dynamic settings or the textures start randomly flashing, followed by a crash to desktop with no error.

980ti here and everything is maxed out at 1440p but MSAA is completely disabled. Game is usually around 100fps. Did you disable msaa?

I have not but the 980ti has 6gb of VRAM if memory serves. Also I have vsync on and only have a 60hz display.

So.... You can't play this on Windows 7?
its been well documented that it only works on w10au. if you want the new features its time to get over your w10 fears...
this is the copy/pasted recommended specs from several sites:

"the PC version will be exclusive to Windows 10 and will require DirectX 12. Here’s the full recommended technical specifications:

CPU: i7 3820 @ 3.6GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970 or NVIDIA GTX 1060

AMD: R9 290X or AMD RX 480

VRAM: 4GB

RAM: 12GB

Hard Drive Type: HDD

Available Space: 55GB

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Windows Version: Windows Anniversary Edition 64-bit 14393.101"

not sure how you missed that when its been clear for months. so you cant really be mad at MS/T10...

I'm going to try again tonight. I might read on the subreddit for this game and see if anyone else had this problem. Hopefully it was a glitch or something.

I have not but the 980ti has 6gb of VRAM if memory serves. Also I have vsync on and only have a 60hz display.
try running without the dynamic adjustments on. apex gave me issues with dynamic on but is perfect with it off. turn that off, turn off vsync, set everything to high and then bump up settings until you get the performance that you are happy with. if you are still getting graphics corruption look at your gpu OC(if it's OCd) or maybe bump your voltage a bit.

fortunately/unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint, games are starting to get so visually intense that not all "high end systems" can run them at max settings. like when Crysis first came out we had to wait for hardware to catch up.

Last edited:
Yea. When I get more time I may tweak a bit and see but my card is already getting kind of old in the GPU world considering the RX480 and the GTX 1060 are basically equivalent now.

I'm not completely disappointed. It's nice to know there's room for improvement with a future upgrade...

It let me buy it at work through the browser. Anyhow I should have fun trying to find where to download it when I get home.

Can anybody recommend assist settings for someone who has never played a Forza game before? Do I jump straight in with all assists off?

The game runs decent for me at 1440p all settings at Ultra. 2500k @4.5 and a GTX 1070.

I'm getting anywhere between 40 FPS and 80 FPS depending where I'm at. There is noticeable hitching in some areas where the frame rate will drop from 80 FPS to 40 FPS instantaneously. Can't say it's the best optimized game considering I could pull a solid 80 FPS in Project Cars with a GTX 970 and the visuals look just as good in that game if not better. Granted, being on closed circuits vs open world it may not be an apples to apples comparison.

Fun game though, I've been trying to run without any assists which I can seem to manage, until the rain starts falling mid race. Then all heck breaks loose for me.

Can anybody recommend assist settings for someone who has never played a Forza game before? Do I jump straight in with all assists off?
I would recommend:
  • Braking: ABS On
  • Steering: Normal
  • Traction Control: On
  • Stability Control: Off
  • Shifting: your choice, but avoid Manual w/ Clutch
  • Driving Line: again, your choice (I'd go Braking Only, at most)
  • Damage & Tire Wear: Cosmetic or Off
  • Rewind: On
When you start getting used to it Traction Control would be the first thing I'd turn off, then try Braking with ABS Off.

Can't say it's the best optimized game considering I could pull a solid 80 FPS in Project Cars with a GTX 970 and the visuals look just as good in that game if not better. Granted, being on closed circuits vs open world it may not be an apples to apples comparison.

You can't say it's unoptimized just because a completely different game/engine 'looks better' than a game that looks 'worse' and runs 'worse'. All of that is completely subjective. For example, I actually think Forza 6 Apex looks way better than Project Cars and I'm assuming Horizon 3 looks even better than Apex, so to me it's understandable that it would be more resource heavy.

Also, major fail on that Win 7 guy for buying the game based off of 'ALL' the sources he found that claimed otherwise.

Yea I'm not one to put anyone down but literally on the MS store page it says the minimum OS requirement is Win 10.

I've followed the news over the last few months since E3 this year and I have yet to see any site NOT mention that this is a Win 10 exclusive.

Comments sections are filled with people disagreeing with the Win 10 exclusivity and tons want this on Steam. I am not sure where one would read that Win 10 is not a requirement.

No. It's a DX12 title.
It's bottlenecking on overclocked i7's coming from a platform that is using a netbook cpu, this game clearly has zero benefits from dx12 and is only used for exclusivity not performance. From what I've read this game looks almost identical to the xbox1 version, only noticeable improvements being reflections and being able to run higher resolution.

This game is annoying already. First the Amazon installer automatically activated the game under a different account other than asking first. Then the download button wouldn't appear until I upgraded to the Win10 Anniversary Edition, then the UI lagged until I cleaned the NV driver and installed the new one, and it downloads 1GB in ten seconds and waits up to 60 seconds to start again. Something that should download under 5 minutes is taking 1 hour. lol MS. This game better be worth it.

If anyone have a fix for the download issue let me know.

It's bottlenecking on overclocked i7's coming from a platform that is using a netbook cpu, this game clearly has zero benefits from dx12 and is only used for exclusivity not performance. From what I've read this game looks almost identical to the xbox1 version, only noticeable improvements being reflections and being able to run higher resolution.

I'm convinced that DX12 was created mainly for console and PC unification under Win10.
AMD managed to benefit from it as well because of their ties with consoles. Other than those two points, DX12 is pointless.

It may be a DX12 title, but it is only utilizing feature level 11_0. In this case, DX12 was used to lock it to Windows 10.

I would recommend:
  • Braking: ABS On
  • Steering: Normal
  • Traction Control: On
  • Stability Control: Off
  • Shifting: your choice, but avoid Manual w/ Clutch
  • Driving Line: again, your choice (I'd go Braking Only, at most)
  • Damage & Tire Wear: Cosmetic or Off
  • Rewind: On
When you start getting used to it Traction Control would be the first thing I'd turn off, then try Braking with ABS Off.

Thanks! I'm using these settings for now.

Loving the game so far.

My one complaint is that races seem to be very short, over within a few minutes. Do they get longer? It's hard to improve when there is only 2 laps or so before the race is over.

Thanks! I'm using these settings for now.

Loving the game so far.

My one complaint is that races seem to be very short, over within a few minutes. Do they get longer? It's hard to improve when there is only 2 laps or so before the race is over.
I haven't gotten that far, but it's typical for a Horizon race to last 3-7 minutes. In Horizon 2 the game went through cycles throughout the different regions on the map, and at the end of every cycle was a race that went around the entire map. Depending on your car choice that race could last more than 20 minutes.

Had to do the anniversary update before it would let me install. For some reason it wasn't on windows update? I had to download it from their website. Weird. I'm running a I3 2100 in my rig right now as I was testing it for a buddy to make sure the CPU was good. I played the game for a bit with a keyboard. For some reason my PS3 controller doesn't work with the game. It worked fine for Forza 6 Apex. It could be something with the Anniversary update that broke it so ill check into that. It has me on low and it looks like a game from 4 years ago but it ran pretty smooth. I'm gonna throw my i5 back in it and start playing with the graphics settings and see if I can get more out of it.

Had to do the anniversary update before it would let me install. For some reason it wasn't on windows update? I had to download it from their website. Weird. I'm running a I3 2100 in my rig right now as I was testing it for a buddy to make sure the CPU was good. I played the game for a bit with a keyboard. For some reason my PS3 controller doesn't work with the game. It worked fine for Forza 6 Apex. It could be something with the Anniversary update that broke it so ill check into that. It has me on low and it looks like a game from 4 years ago but it ran pretty smooth. I'm gonna throw my i5 back in it and start playing with the graphics settings and see if I can get more out of it.
The AU is being slowly rolled out to users through November over Windows Update, so if you want or need to update to the newest version you have to do it manually with the upgrade assistant.

What's the screenshot directory? Because using the forza hub to get to the pictures I want to share on Twitter is PITA.

I had to do a clean install for everything to work as before the update. The graphics driver crippled File Explorer which made navigation impossible.

Anyone found any good benchmarks? My systems seems to be coming in under what I've sen

I'd be curious to see how much difference that is making. I strongly suspect my A10 is holding me back. I could probably squeeze 10-15% out of it if need be but otherwise not worth the trouble. Plenty of Witcher to keep me busy in the mean time.

Anyone found any good benchmarks? My systems seems to be coming in under what I've sen

I'd be curious to see how much difference that is making. I strongly suspect my A10 is holding me back. I could probably squeeze 10-15% out of it if need be but otherwise not worth the trouble. Plenty of Witcher to keep me busy in the mean time.
Ill see if I can get it optimized on the 2100 before I take it out and see how the game runs then make the swap with the same settings and see how much it improved. I think it will be marginal but I don't know how CPU bound this game is vs GPU. My GPU is pretty weak and comes in just over the minimum requirement and with people saying that its putting a beating on their GTX980 it would seem is more GPU bound. I don't know why this game is so much more demanding over 6 apex. My rig ran apex great on med-high settings @ 5760x1200.

You can't say it's unoptimized just because a completely different game/engine 'looks better' than a game that looks 'worse' and runs 'worse'. All of that is completely subjective. For example, I actually think Forza 6 Apex looks way better than Project Cars and I'm assuming Horizon 3 looks even better than Apex, so to me it's understandable that it would be more resource heavy.

Also, major fail on that Win 7 guy for buying the game based off of 'ALL' the sources he found that claimed otherwise.

Sure I can say it's less optimized...I'm getting around half of the FPS then I do in Project Cars with the same card. Does Horizon look twice as good to compensate for the FPS loss? Nope. Sure, some people may say Horizon 3 looks better, but definitely not twice as good.

Therefore, I'm getting a more efficient use from my graphics card in Project Cars than I do in Horizon 3. Perhaps optimized isn't the right word though.

Regardless, it may not be an apples to apples comparison since Horizon is an open world and Project Cars is on closed tracks. To me, in Horizon the interior of the cars looks a bit too "plasticy".

Turn 10 reached out to Reddit to collect data on performance issues. Hopefully they can come up with a quick solution.

The Xbox ONE version also only runs at 30 FPS or less.

Sure I can say it's less optimized...I'm getting around half of the FPS then I do in Project Cars with the same card. Does Horizon look twice as good to compensate for the FPS loss? Nope. Sure, some people may say Horizon 3 looks better, but definitely not twice as good.

Therefore, I'm getting a more efficient use from my graphics card in Project Cars than I do in Horizon 3. Perhaps optimized isn't the right word though.

Regardless, it may not be an apples to apples comparison since Horizon is an open world and Project Cars is on closed tracks. To me, in Horizon the interior of the cars looks a bit too "plasticy".

Yes, optimized is not the word you're looking for here. You don't have access to the source code so your claim that it is unoptimized is your opinion and only your opinion, not a fact. Graphics aren't the only thing the game engine is rendering, there's all sorts of other computations taking place within that. Again, if Game A looks better and performs better than Game B that looks worse, you can't claim that it's unoptimized. The Resident Evil game for Gamecube is a good example of this. The game looked absolutely phenomenal for it's time but it was using prerendered graphics for all but the character models.

Turn 10 reached out to Reddit to collect data on performance issues. Hopefully they can come up with a quick solution.

Hopefully this accomplishes something. I've tried every possible combination of settings and every piece of troubleshooting I can get my hands on. Nothing I do has made the game playable. I'm glad I have an Xbox to play on, i'd be a little more irritated if I wasn't able to play the game at all.

I disabled core 0 in CPU affinity for the Forza executable which has helped smooth things out. It wasn't terrible on my main system but was not quite right for the FPS displayed (75-90fps). No more dips in framerate.
I also have a Skull Canyon system connected to a 1080 stuffed into a Razer Core and it runs everything that I've thrown at it just as well as my full ATX system... except for Forza Horizon 3.
FH3 is extremely CPU limited on Skull Canyon as I can run at 2560x1440 or 1280x1024 with no change in FPS (40-55fps). The 6770HQ CPU punches well above its weight with the 128MB L4 cache in other games, but FH3 seems to be limited by the ability of your CPU to process, what I assume is physics/encryption, where the extra cache has little or no benefit. Instead, it is bound by the low TDP (45W) and performs at about half of a stock clocked 6700k.

Last edited:
I got the controller working for mine.

I scaled it up to 1200p on the 2100 and it runs 30FPS. I turned off Vertical Sync as well. I haven't tried adding graphics to is as it keeps giving me the video memory low message at times. I also got 3 crash to desktops last night.

I'm actually pleased so far with my experience. Running everything ultra at 1440p W/G-SYNC and getting approx 60-80 FPS. G-sync is the best gaming decision that I have ever made. The game, well pretty much all games are smooth like butter. No stuttering that my eye can see.

I disabled dynamic optimization and framerate smoothing as they seemed to hit performance rather than improve it.

Last edited:
Back