Forza Horizon 3 PC Demo

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you interested, the Microsoft Store has a Forza Horizon 3 PC demo available for free. I was actually on the fence about picking this one up but, now that there is a demo, I think I'm down for a little try-before-you-buy action to help me make up my mind.

I own the game and I think it's awesome, but I play it locked at 30fps. Folks avoiding the game over the FPS are missing out. I don't know if 60FPS isn't attainable because my rig isn't beefy enough, or if there's a general problem with the game.

If you like the other Horizon games there should be no fence sitting, this is a great game and the best of the Horizons. As far as performance goes I get a nearly constant 80fps with everything maxed but I only play at 1080p.

Been waiting for this! I've been on the fence about picking this up and just couldn't bring myself to do it as I've never played any of the Forza Horizon games and am not much a fan of Forza

Thank you for the heads up! Glad it's finally out, gonna download it shortly :)

I have been thinking about getting this. I have never played a Forza game. Glad they released a demo, which is pretty rare these days.

This is probably the best casual racing game since PGR, it's what every NFS game wished it had been, but never achieved. I agree, don't sit on the fence. I'm also going to agree with the poster above and suggest locking in the 30fps framerate...this game does NOT wildly improve with 60fps, and it is NOT a sim where you really need 60+fps and a wheel to get the most out of it, 30fps even on the PC if you're playing with a joypad is my preferred experience. If you're playing with a wheel, however, you may want to strive for that 60fps, but to me it changes the game in a bad way....I'm fine with 30 and the joypad.

Been saying for years the best way to combat piracy and increase sales would be to do demos again. I've been on the fence on it, I LOVE the Forza series, but I've heard God awful things about this ones performance, looking forward to grabbing it this weekend to try :)

the demo plays pretty good for me. I'm getting ~45-60FPS with vsync on, med/high mix of settings at 1080p. if I disable vsync and let FPS run unlimited I get the same avg FPS bad stuttering around 60FPS. if I bump settings to high I only get ~30-45FPS but it still plays pretty smoothly. I'm still playing with settings trying to find the sweet spot for speed vs quality. the biggest draw back about the demo is that there is NO SAVING! you restart from the very beginning every time and you cant skip aanything. so I'm slowly dialing it in within the first couple segments before playing through. plays good and looks really good too, even at med/high.

FPS drops all over the place fail MS. Apex ran smooth 60 all the time this game stutters like mad drops down to 40 sometimes glad they released a demo, now i realize for the people who bought it are bitching about. Tried to run it capped at 30 and it still went up to 60 no clue why.

EDIT: Ran the game capped at 30 fps on ultra seems to run better with no stutter since is solid 30 all the time and no fps variation, oh well seems like a decent racing game maybe a buy when its on sale.

Last edited:
Oh look, another luddite.
backport DX12 to win7 and I'll happily buy Forza. It sounds like win10 is going to be around for awhile, so I don't see the rush to beta test (and yes I tried it out when I upgraded back in Jan).

backport DX12 to win7 and I'll happily buy Forza. It sounds like win10 is going to be around for awhile, so I don't see the rush to beta test (and yes I tried it out when I upgraded back in Jan).

The "anti-Windows 10" crowd is getting sickening. So, all of you people that denounce Windows 10 are going to not use Windows anymore once 7 hits EoL? No, you're going to quietly switch to 10 and stop your sniveling.

Oh, I plan to switch eventually. You should see a doctor if that makes you sick...

I love this game. It might be my game of the year. Sadly it plays best locked at 30FPS. Other than that it is fantastic.

The "anti-Windows 10" crowd is getting sickening. So, all of you people that denounce Windows 10 are going to not use Windows anymore once 7 hits EoL? No, you're going to quietly switch to 10 and stop your sniveling.
Why do you say that like a cartoon villain?

Just tried it out, and surprisingly fun.

I admit, was just trying out to see what it feels like, but it hooks me right into it... Looks like a purchase to me..

I have been curious how this runs on a gtx 780 so here is a chance to find out. Also, I hear there is a part of the game (Surfers Paradise?) where performance is a lot worse and this part is not included in the demo. If so, demo performance would be better than the full game.

EDIT: game defaulted to medium settings, I was able to bump up to high and maintain 30 fps. It looks awesome as others have reported. Happy with the performance so far.

Last edited:
game looks great, but its little to arcade for me, unless I am missing some setting.
There seems to be hardly any damage done physically , only graphically.

game looks great, but its little to arcade for me, unless I am missing some setting.
There seems to be hardly any damage done physically , only graphically.

Go into the options and change the difficulty settings...

The only thing that stinks is that they have no enabled mGPU support for UWA games. (2 x Sapphire R9 Fury's) I play at 4k and other than the lack of mGPU support, it plays quite well.

Got this for my son last night and maybe I'm just old but it felt like installing this game was like installing Windows itself.
Install, checking your system, enter account info/create to play, do you want to let us track your info (no is not an option)? You can always log in to Xbox live and change these settings later but not right now. Alright. Can we use your Windows login password to log in to this game? No? Come on!!! Please wait, optimizing performance, loading. Now, are you sure you want to play? Are you SURE?.

YES for shits sake!!! That's why I clicked it! I was going to tweak some controls and graphics settings but now I just want to try it out! I'm surprised it didn't want to set up themes or something first as well. lol

Anyway, my rant.. Fun game in any case but damn.

Now that I am busy they are releasing Forza games far too often. I put 100's of hours into these games over a long period of time and haven't even fired up Forza 6 because I am still working through Horizon 2. I didn't even realize Horizon 3 was in the works and was shocked when it dropped so quickly after 2. Oh well, by the time I get my couple hundred hours of Forza 6, Horizon 3 will be half the price.

If you guys haven't played a Horizon game cause you didn't own an Xbox or just breezed over them, I highly recommend giving it a whirl. They are fun games - arcade control, but a lot of fun nonetheless.

does the full game support Fanatec Clubsport gear?...(not V2)...the demo does not...

Last edited:
Just played the demo , runs well enough at 4k on my system and looks beautiful. Think I'll be picking this one up.

It was sarcasm.

I'd like to try the game also, but the cost far outweighs my curiosity.
Thing is if you have Win10 you already have the Store running on your machine. All those preloaded apps from Microsoft? Yeah those came from the Store. No difference actually using it for a game if you ask me, unless of course you are on Win7 then I can definitely see your point.

Thing is if you have Win10 you already have the Store running on your machine. All those preloaded apps from Microsoft? Yeah those came from the Store. No difference actually using it for a game if you ask me, unless of course you are on Win7 then I can definitely see your point.
I'm using Windows 10 LTSB, which doesn't have the windows store and it's bloatware, thankfully I might add.

Back