Forza 2 and the Logitech G25 wheel

John

Limp Gawd
Has anyone been keeping up with the official line on whether or not there's going to be support for the Logitech G25 wheel in Forza 2? I'm guessing not, but I'm hoping someone has heard something official on it.

If not, is the official Xbox 360 wheel the only option? If I'm going to play this I need a clutch.

I am quite certain that the G25 won't work. I have not seen any real confirmation of this from Tun 10 or MS but everything I have read says that it won't.

Does anyone know of an Xbox 360 compatible wheel that has a clutch pedal?

Does anyone know of an Xbox 360 compatible wheel that has a clutch pedal?

No, I was asking this at my local EB the other day and they said they did not know of any. In fact other than the MS wheel there is only one other that I have seen that is compatible with the 360 and it is all plastic with no FFB and looks like it is crappy quality.

I wouldn't count on anything other than the MS wheel to work well...

The micrsoft wheel only has two pedals, for gas and brake. You shift using "Formula 1 style hand paddles for manual shifting," on the wheel.

Hmm, this is pretty disappointing. From what I understood Forza 2 was supposed to be a game to cater to car enthusiasts, and yet there's no support for three pedal setups?

<grumbles>

Does anyone know what the situation is with the Playstation 3? G25 support, but no force feedback?

Hmm, this is pretty disappointing. From what I understood Forza 2 was supposed to be a game to cater to car enthusiasts, and yet there's no support for three pedal setups?

<grumbles>

Does anyone know what the situation is with the Playstation 3? G25 support, but no force feedback?

Well, to be fair the MS wheel is quite nice despite the fact that it only has two pedals and paddle shifters.

Yes, the PS3 does support the G25 in most games but I think the only game that supports FFB right now is NFS: Carbon. I think I read that Carbon supports the G25s H-shifter (which I assume means the clutch peddle is supported too) but I am not sure of this. Now that Sony has settled its lawsuit with Immersion I am sure that games like GT5 will fully support FFB as well.

No, I was asking this at my local EB the other day and they said they did not know of any. In fact other than the MS wheel there is only one other that I have seen that is compatible with the 360 and it is all plastic with no FFB and looks like it is crappy quality.
actually it does have force feedback on supported games, i think it also comes with a ffb version of PGR3.

Well, to be fair the MS wheel is quite nice despite the fact that it only has two pedals and paddle shifters.

Yes, the PS3 does support the G25 in most games but I think the only game that supports FFB right now is NFS: Carbon. I think I read that Carbon supports the G25s H-shifter (which I assume means the clutch peddle is supported too) but I am not sure of this. Now that Sony has settled its lawsuit with Immersion I am sure that games like GT5 will fully support FFB as well.

Hehe, Sony didn't really settle anything. They fought tooth and nail and flat out lost.

So does the clutch pedal on the fancy 3 pedal sets have force feedback to it? Otherwise I don't really see the point in having one.

Why does a clutch pedal need force feedback?

To feel the clutch engage, otherwise it would just be a dead pedal and I don't really see the point in it. It doesn't add any realism having a dead clutch with no weight behind it. Do games stall your car if you don't shift properly with it?

To feel the clutch engage, otherwise it would just be a dead pedal and I don't really see the point in it. It doesn't add any realism having a dead clutch with no weight behind it. Do games stall your car if you don't shift properly with it?

I'm pretty sure that in GTR you can destroy your gearbox and breakdown if you don't shift properly.

In every car I've driven, I feel the clutch engage with my butt being accelerated, not with feedback in my foot.

What cars give feedback in the pedal?

By feedback I don't mean 'rumble'. You feel certain tension when you press the clutch, it has a weight to it that would be emulated through the feedback motors. I just think it would take more than a simple spring to get the right feel for a clutch, but I haven't tried it on a game so I could be wrong.

The problem with all this is that the market for wheels is fairly small and always has been. There are the enthusists out there that go for it, but most just feel it is an expensive extra.

Heck the MS wheel is really expensive as it is, the G25 is just crazy for the average gamer budget :p

A car has a return spring an no feedback motors.

Last time I checked there's a fairly hefty clutch attached to that pedal. You're telling me the set I buy at Best Buy will as well? I don't know why you feel the need to argue, a clutch could benefit from a force feedback setup. They pressure could get greater as you upgrade the car because not all clutches weigh and feel the same. Street cars have a more gradual engagement while race cars are basically on/off.

I'm going to put side and rear view mirrors on my monitor and wear a gait belt in addition to getting a 34" Aloha Breeze fan.

Last time I checked there's a fairly hefty clutch attached to that pedal.
Yep. And it should still be there if you check again.

You're telling me the set I buy at Best Buy will as well?
Nope; I'm telling you that a real clutch feels like a clutch with only a spring pushing back on the pedal.

I don't know why you feel the need to argue, a clutch could benefit from a force feedback setup.
I'm not arguing. I'm just asking questions of you because I don't understand why you demand a force feedback clutch pedal.

The clutch pedal feel is one of least important operational differences between the various cars a racing game might support. Steering advantage and resistance is also substantially different, and road feel is transmitted primarily through the wheel. Brake feel is probably the most important feedback a driver gets from the car, as getting the car to take a set while entering a corner makes or brakes the driver's confidence in the car's state.

Very valid points especially for a game mike.

I will say in RL ("Real Life") clutch feel is huge as well. Higher end cars will literally have an on/off clutch that even good Manual drivers can have a hard time with. That is more about the driving experience though and less about the actual road feel.

If they put in feedback for clutch feel, why not add seat rumble? And a hydraulic seat that tilts ever so slightly when cornering?

Or, better yet, why don't they just put in a stiff spring on the clutch pedal and save us all $1000?

As I mentioned, I've driven all kinds of cars (and a bunch of trucks), and while the clutch feel varies, it's the least of my worries when trying to wring the most out of the car.

True, plus the fact they are still trying to get FFB worked out for the wheel and it is only supported in very few games to date...adding clutch feedback would just give another set back for years :eek:

As I mentioned, I've driven all kinds of cars (and a bunch of trucks), and while the clutch feel varies, it's the least of my worries when trying to wring the most out of the car.

Yep. I've rebuilt and driven all sorts of cars my entire life. You notice clutch feel when you're starting from a stop. Or when you're stuck in traffic. Or when you're poking along and in no hurry.

That's about it. Once you're rolling, if you're spending enough time with the clutch half engaged to notice how it feels, you're doing something terribly wrong.

I thought the 360 didn't have good support for usb devices?

Knowing sony and polyphonic, they are going to make some sort of special wheel to be released alongside the game. They did it with GT3 and GT4, why not GT5? From what ive noticed also when you shift in GT:HD, you can see that the accelerate meter goes red and gives the engine a little gas in order to rev match to make a good shift. If this is true, heres hoping for a GT5 with a clutch pedal (I have GTR2 + G25 combo and am currently loving it.

I reallllly think MS is not going to support the G25....they will force the MS Wireless wheel on everyone.

Funny, I look at it more as Logitech didn't support the 360. (with the G25 I mean)

The problem I see with the 360 and the G25, is doesn't Microsoft want all controllers for the 360 to have an Xbox Guide button?

Back