Forward requests for DC to IIS server

screwmesa

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got 2 servers, ones a domain controller and one strictly does IIS and Exchange (not a DC). Both are Server 2003. How can I point any requests for domain.com from the internal network to the IIS server?

I assume you're running an internal webserver and are having the issue of people typing "domain.com" instead of "www.domain.com" and complaining "hey, the website is down?"

I can't think of anything easy, except perhaps a redirection rule on a firewall so any traffic destined for port 80 on the domain controller goes to port 80 on the webserver.

easy. NEVER USE REGISTERED DOMAIN NAMES AS YOUR INTERNAL DOMAINA NAME.

Point taken, oakfan. I'll just use a different subdomain name for the IIS server, duh. :rolleyes: Thanks guys.

screwmesa said:
Point taken, oakfan. I'll just use a different subdomain name for the IIS server, duh. :rolleyes: Thanks guys.

excuse me for providing a response to your question when you didn't provide any technical details what so ever.

I assumed you were saying your users could not get to domain.com because you used it as your active directory domain name. Is this not the case?

Only other thing I can think of is you are hosting diffrent domains on your IIS server. In which case your internal users cannot access the websites because the dns server returns the public IP address. This is ok if the IIS server translates to a diffrent external Ip than the user subnet does. If it doesn't then....

If your DNS zones are hostest external just add the zone domain.com to your AD dns server and input the needed records. You can make a blank A Host to point the root of thge domain (will be able to resolve domain.com).

If it host internal and on the same DNS server as AD its tougher. Like stated above you can create a CNAME www. Other way (I would never do this) is to add the host names to the users host files.

Sorry, oakfan the :rolleyes: made it seem like I was being sarcastic, but I meant it as I was being stupid and the answer was simple.

Back