Fortnite's Concurrent Player Count Hits 8.3 Million

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Think the Fortnite craze is wearing off? Think again. In an interview, Epic Games Korea said that Fortnite had 8.3 Million Concurrent players worldwide after launching in South Korea. For reference, the entire Steam service peaks at about 14 million concurrent users during prime time, and it's not growing nearly as quickly as Fortnite.

Yep. You heard us: 8.3 million people playing Fortnite simultaneously. VG247 has verified the numbers with a spokesperson from Epic Games, twice. This is a meteoric rise in numbers considering that Fortnite previously hit a peak of 3.4 million concurrent players in February which caused major service disruptions. It will be interesting to see how Battle Royale goes down in South Korea, given that South Korean players often dominate the esports scene.

Crazy this will do the PC market some good hardware sales wise. Bringing in more videogame addicts. Game wise we might get a steady flow of Battle Royale games in the future which might be good or bad.

Crazy this will do the PC market some good hardware sales wise. Bringing in more videogame addicts. Game wise we might get a steady flow of Battle Royale games in the future which might be good or bad.
This is across all platforms (mobile, console, PC).

Was wondering it was cross-platform? People will migrate to PC eventually.

Was wondering it was cross-platform? People will migrate to PC eventually.

It is. Fortnite runs on pretty much everything short of your smart fridge now, and they even strong-armed Sony into going cross platform after years of stubbornly avoiding it.

Fortnite wont do much for PC hardware i think.
My nephew runs it reasonable well on a 6th gen intel nuc i5, thats pretty much as low as you can get specs wise

My nephew runs it reasonable well on a 6th gen intel nuc i5, thats pretty much as low as you can get specs wise

I got it to run on a Quadro 600 workstation for someone, which basically an ancient GT 430. It was actually surprisingly smooth...

Yep people will continue to is their console of choice. Majority of PC players have consoles but majority of console players don't have a gaming PC to migrate to. The average parent will have a hard time swolloing a $800+ decent gaming PC over a $200 console.

Fortnite runs pretty well on recent intel integrated graphics and runs great on pretty much every dedicated card, even those that are 5+ years old.

These are absurd numbers.

Remember this is also a game that runs on average cellphones and other mobile devices, so yeah, not hardware forward.

Never got into Fortnite, but I do hope this brings more folks to the pc master race.

In other news, since I haven't done any gaming in almost 5 months, I checked in to the player counts for PUBG. Good grief that's a huge fall off. Down from 3.2M to 1M peak. Fortnite really ate their lunch.

I'll admit I thought it was a fad, but I've been proven wrong thus far. Give it 2 years.

Say what you will about Fortnight - but its success means Epic's success. Long-term I see this giving a lot of potential to the whole unreal platform. I just hope they don't get extreme with their licensing - small teams need cheap and easy access to the top-end tools to compete with the big studios.

Yeah, you have to admit that Epic has finally returned to the glory days of UT. They've completely smashed records with their current shooter. Good for them. Nice to have another major player in the mix.

I don't care for Fortnite but I don't hate it.

These are absurd numbers.

Remember this is also a game that runs on average cellphones and other mobile devices, so yeah, not hardware forward.

I often see people in best buy purchasing computers for fortnite it is driving new people into pc gaming

I often see people in best buy purchasing computers for fortnite it is driving new people into pc gaming

That's a good point. My son started playing it on his switch and realized the immense benefit to m/kb and then segued over to his pc.

HOWEVER, it's not the game that's selling pc hardware, but kids that want to stream while they play as well. All of a sudden a cheapo kit won't quite cut it.

The Walmart I'm at basically has a whole PC section dedicated to PC gaming now and had Fortnite on every laptop and PC.
The thing I noticed sells the best is mousepads and headsets meaning people already have a decent dedicated PC.

That's a good point. My son started playing it on his switch and realized the immense benefit to m/kb and then segued over to his pc.

HOWEVER, it's not the game that's selling pc hardware, but kids that want to stream while they play as well. All of a sudden a cheapo kit won't quite cut it.

Why do they want yo stream? Cause of the game. Also lots of cases I run into, kids playing on xbox a friend has a pc and is doing better they want to do well too. Fortnite is selling pc gaming better than anything I have ever seen. IME it's because it's so cross platform. It's like most people dont want to own an indy car, but everyone who drives on the road can see a BMW or Ferrari and so they want it. When mobile, console, and PC were separated alot of people were sheltered and now they are having an awakening.

One of my kids plays this game a lot. She uses a PS4 - mainly because friends from school are playing it on their PS4's. She has a computer and a few PC games - but I don't see her use it that often.

Why do they want yo stream? Cause of the game. Also lots of cases I run into, kids playing on xbox a friend has a pc and is doing better they want to do well too. Fortnite is selling pc gaming better than anything I have ever seen. IME it's because it's so cross platform. It's like most people dont want to own an indy car, but everyone who drives on the road can see a BMW or Ferrari and so they want it. When mobile, console, and PC were separated alot of people were sheltered and now they are having an awakening.

Fortniite is not doing anything to help pc gaming except for the extra sales of avg hardware. Pc gaming has already outnumbered the amount of players online vs console. Just look at the amounts of players in the many mmo games on the pc.

What needs to change is a drastic interest with the public buying highend hardware specifically for gaming so the heightened sales will justify the development of AAA titles to be prioritized on the pc over the consoles. Thats just for starters. Then at that point we will finally get real intuitive core game designs that are amazing instead of just visual eyecandy enhancements ontop of console ports.

Fortnight right now is in relatively unknown waters with how massive it's still growing in such a small time. We also have a generation of kids that aren't adverse to using pc's on a daily basis so there's a wonderful dynamic happening where the pc market may just explode when many thought it was already maxed out. After the crypto barrage, I couldn't be more pleased that we're going to continue to see the PC as a gaming platform get attention from major studios.

I liked this game for about two months when it was released... and then POW, Bob the mother effing Builders every where...

I'm getting too old for that shit...

I wish trump would wall of Mexico in the game...fucking people hot mic’ing with their entire family in the same room.

This had me rolling in the floor! It is so true. I generally play Solo but when I do venture into Duos or Squads, there's always that one that only speaks Spanish and you can hear 15 other people in the room as clear as if they were standing right next to him.

As for Fortnite, I hated it when it came out but I have to admit I'm kinda hooked on it. They keep changing things which keeps it fresh. They seem to be listening to players opinions and gripes and tweaking the game. The game is fun as shit at first. I always rage quit because I keep getting killed but after cooling off I still wind up back on it again. It's honestly all I've played in 4 or 5 months.

Yeah, you have to admit that Epic has finally returned to the glory days of UT. They've completely smashed records with their current shooter. Good for them. Nice to have another major player in the mix.

I don't care for Fortnite but I don't hate it.

You've never played Unreal Tournament in your life. LOL the glory days of UT?! Are you kidding me? Sporknife is not a shooter. Also, screw them, just another company to mirror EA. Epic is dead to me!

Back