Fortnite conquers 2019 with $1.8 billion earned

Status
Not open for further replies.

erek

[H]F Junkie
Fortnite bringing in bank

"Fortnite should continue to grow as it embraces more cross-franchise opportunities. The world's most popular game is basically a massive billboard to promote new movies and other media, and we'll continue to see Epic use Fortnite to as an signal boosting platform for key IPs moving forward. This way they not only pull in more players and make more money via engagement ops, but get big-money deals from movie studios to boot."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69561/fortnite-conquers-2019-1-8-billion-earned/index.html

I wonder how much longer they'll be able to milk the gravy train. Kids will get bored and move on to the next big thing, that's inevitable..

I don't play Fortnite (I'm too old and grumpy), but I applaud Epic for their success here. They have done a ton for the gaming community with their freemium engine licensing model and it's nice to see them do well.

I wonder how much longer they'll be able to milk the gravy train. Kids will get bored and move on to the next big thing, that's inevitable..

It says they made $3 billion in profit in 2018. $1.8 billion is only 60% of $3 billion. So 2 more years at that declining rate and they'll be making less than a billion per year. It'll be a while before it's not popular.

From Unreal, through UT, to Fortnite. Reality never seizes to amaze and disappoint me.

I don't play Fortnite (I'm too old and grumpy), but I applaud Epic for their success here. They have done a ton for the gaming community with their freemium engine licensing model and it's nice to see them do well.

I'd argue that they have dragged down and ruined gaming with their freemium model, but it wouldn't be quite correct, because it is not their model, they were far from the first paid premium/microtrwnsaction garbage, they just rode it to success more defly than anyone before them.

Free to play is a cancer, because it means the studio has to make money somewhere else, and it is always worse than just paying for the game to begin with.

..and that's not to even start mentioning how they have used anti-competitive paid exclusives to force people who don't want to to use their store.

If Satan were a game company, Epic would be it. They have absolutely no redeeming qualities what so ever.

do any of you or your family play fortnite?

i actually can't relate or know of a single person who actually plays the game. what kind of people actually play it that it's the most popular game of all time?

From Unreal, through UT, to Fortnite. Reality never seizes to amaze and disappoint me.
...yea, and the new UT was looking good. I guess there's a chance it'll make a comeback, maybe borrow some of what makes the current Epic fans tick

I'd argue that they have dragged down and ruined gaming with their freemium model, but it wouldn't be quite correct, because it is not their model, they were far from the first paid premium/microtrwnsaction garbage, they just rode it to success more defly than anyone before them.

Free to play is a cancer, because it means the studio has to make money somewhere else, and it is always worse than just paying for the game to begin with.

..and that's not to even start mentioning how they have used anti-competitive paid exclusives to force people who don't want to to use their store.

If Satan were a game company, Epic would be it. They have absolutely no redeeming qualities what so ever.

I very well could be wrong here, but my understanding of Fortnite was that all of the paid stuff is cosmetic player customization and does not impact gameplay - basically the polar opposite of an EA loot crate. Is that not correct? I see no harm in that whatsoever. $0 or $1000, the game plays the same and neither player has an advantage due to spend.

I probably used the wrong word, but by "freemium," I was referring to the licensing model for UE. It's completely free below a certain sales level. That's incredible. It's a AAA engine which students, researchers, and indie developers can access for free. That's pretty awesome, and it's a model they've offered for far longer than Fortnite has existed.

100% wrong

The Fortnite model is by far the best F2P model there is. There is absolutely no competitive benefit to spending any money. You can enjoy the game without spending anything at all. Spending money gets you nothing but cosmetic items.

The Fortnite F2P model is better than the traditional pay once model for competitive games. The developers keep updating the game instead of abandoning it after a few months because they can keep making money on cosmetics.

So you get to play for free, and the game lasts longer.

100% wrong

The Fortnite model is by far the best F2P model there is. There is absolutely no competitive benefit to spending any money. You can enjoy the game without spending anything at all. Spending money gets you nothing but cosmetic items.

The Fortnite F2P model is better than the traditional pay once model for competitive games. The developers keep updating the game instead of abandoning it after a few months because they can keep making money on cosmetics.

Same for CSGO. The skins have no in-game benefit or drawback, other from having to hear other players constantly bitch and out trading. Same for PUBG. Both of which dis it before Fortnite

...yea, and the new UT was looking good. I guess there's a chance it'll make a comeback, maybe borrow some of what makes the current Epic fans tick

Part of the reason I refuse to play this crap game....

I probably used the wrong word, but by "freemium," I was referring to the licensing model for UE. It's completely free below a certain sales level. That's incredible. It's a AAA engine which students, researchers, and indie developers can access for free. That's pretty awesome, and it's a model they've offered for far longer than Fortnite has existed.

Ah, yeah. That they do deserve credit for. They made an engine that was relatively easy to develop for, and came up with a financial model that meant that any studio could afford to use it to develop a title. Fair enough.

It may have been a questionable engine, with rampant texture popping issues, but still, many titles we know and love may not have existed if not for this. They do deserve credit for that.

I just wish they had remained an engine developer, and not become the evil trainwreck they are today.

100% wrong

Fortnite has caused "Default" to become an insult and kids use it to bully others that can't afford to buy cosmetics. There is immense peer-pressure for children to engage in recurrent spending. Let's not pretend there is anything good about this model.

As usual the angry parents come out of the woodwork.

The game itself is quite good, that's why it's so successful, although personally I find the building/editing to be too spammy and wish there was a limit to how many build actions players can make in a short amount of time.

Nobody is pushing out content like Epic is for Fortnite, and that's what keeps people buying the Battle Passes every couple of months. Even if you can't (or don't want to) afford the season pass, Epic still gives players objectives to complete and free stuff to unlock throughout each season, and that's over and above the regular goal of winning each match.

Games like Fortnite, Path of Exile, Warframe, etc., are examples of F2P done right. Incredible games to choose from even if you have no money to spend.

do any of you or your family play fortnite?

i actually can't relate or know of a single person who actually plays the game. what kind of people actually play it that it's the most popular game of all time?

Children and adult streamers who cater to children.

100% wrong

I hate this design just as much. It works okay for Fortnite because it is a cartoon game to start with, but I don't like seeing that crap seep into games like Battlefield.

Ah, yeah. That they do deserve credit for. They made an engine that was relatively easy to develop for, and came up with a financial model that meant that any studio could afford to use it to develop a title. Fair enough.

It may have been a questionable engine, with rampant texture popping issues, but still, many titles we know and love may not have existed if not for this. They do deserve credit for that.

I just wish they had remained an engine developer, and not become the evil trainwreck they are today.

Haven't seen any texture pop in issues with UE4. Certainly was a thing with the last engine though, at least with inexperienced developers. Kind of like how idTech engine got over the pop in and now Source doesn't require constant loading screens throughout a small map anymore. The old game engines of yesteryear don't compare to current technology.

It says they made $3 billion in profit in 2018. $1.8 billion is only 60% of $3 billion. So 2 more years at that declining rate and they'll be making less than a billion per year. It'll be a while before it's not popular.

Epic (as a whole company) made $3B profit in 2018; Fortnite (the game itself) made $1.8B in 2019; as stated in the article.

Fortnite has caused "Default" to become an insult and kids use it to bully others that can't afford to buy cosmetics. There is immense peer-pressure for children to engage in recurrent spending. Let's not pretend there is anything good about this model.

Welcome to the rest of the real world, kid. Keeping up with the Joneses has been around since 1921...

Earned, more like taking candy from children.

Some people in this thread seem desperate to defend bullshit microtransactions.

Yeah anyone that provides entertainment for children must be pure evil.

This made me think - Name one company that cares about the kids versus the profit from the kids at large scale in the business of selling a product to the easily maniupulated. {serious question, not being obtuse for argument sake)

Disney? Nickelodeon? Mattel? Fisher Price? Dreamworks? Nerf? Lego? Hasbro? St. Jude hospitals? Girl/Boy Scouts?

I'm not saying they're evil {aside from Disney), but they really don't care what kids think on the other end of their product. Parents opinion matters but too many parents today throw money at kids to not have to deal with them. The only company I can maybe think of is PBS.

Some people in this thread seem desperate to defend bullshit microtransactions.

I certainly don't defend it, I hate it.......but, this model has allowed me to play Apex for free since it launched. It's the folks dumb enough or pressured enough (kids) to buy digital bytes that effect the game in no way but status quo.

I certainly don't defend it, I hate it.......but, this model has allowed me to play Apex for free since it launched. It's the folks dumb enough or pressured enough (kids) to buy digital bytes that effect the game in no way but status quo.

Early on (before EA butted their heads into things) I feel like Apex balanced out the MT stuff really well. It wasn't overloaded with crap, prices weren't bad, and going the character purchase route wasn't a bad idea. Kind if a pity EA went and EA'd things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back