Fortinet Fortigate - Content Filtering For A School

rosco

Gawd
I am considering a Fortigate 100D or possibly a 200D for a school. The students have chromebooks with filtering but I need content filtering for the rest of the network.

How good is the Fortigate content filtering? The searching around I have done tends to talk more about filtering malicious sites etc as opposed to filtering based on content.

Anyone have experience with using a Fortigate for content filtering?

If you want a taste you can always download the free Forticlient and enable content filtering on the local workstation. The categories are the same on the Fortigate but applied at the firewall vs endpoint. As I said the client is free.

Assuming you've got decent bandwidth I would suggested a 200D over the 100D. I run a 140DPOE, same performance as 100D, at home and with ~220mbps and full utm + ssl inspection I have pegged it..

Reactions: rma
like this
You have a 140D at home?! That's a pricey licence for home.

OP there are several of us that are Fortinet partners on here. The content filtering works pretty well, but reporting can be a bit wacky without a Forticloud account or Fortianalyzer on site.

Its pretty good. I have used as low as a 40 up to a 800D. The default filters arent bad but will probably get some complaints back. It is fairly easy to edit. Now if the Forticlient was a complete piece of shit!

Back