Formula's Personal Ryzen Performance Compendium

Formula.350

[H]ard|Gawd
Figured if I'll be running benchmarks I might as well share 'em.

I don't have much yet. Still trying to work out some bugs. Had some driver hiccup with graphics earlier, which I blame Win10 for deciding I *needed* a graphics driver update. Mainly only have AIDA64 results at the moment, but it does include 8C/16T, 8C/8T, 4+0/8T and 4+0/4T results on CPU, FPU. And then 8C/16T and 4+0/8T results for Memory Bandwidth and Cache-Mem Latency.

So far the tests have been conducted running under Balanced power plan, to extract all of the potential XFR Boost, since a good majority of people won't know how to change a power plan on a desktop since there isn't a "Battery Icon" in the taskbar. Also I kinda like the core-parking aspect since it'll keep temps down and power consumption. (I've also located all the power plan CPU options in the registry, so I'll be futzing with parking and polling times). That's also why the reported CPU speed varies between benchmarks, as the XFR is dictating the max things can run at.

Also I apologize for the combined pictures which lack comparison system's mem speeds, but we can only post so many pictures in a single thread. :p

Ryzen 1700X @ Stock Speeds, Windows 10 Pro x64 v1607, MSI X370 Titanium (BIOS v1.1), RAM @ 3200 14-15-15-35 1.35V. (all other specs in sig.)

-= AIDA64 v5.90.4200 =-
MEMORY/CACHE:
Memory.png

CPU:
CPU.png

FPU:
FPU1.png FPU2.png

CACHE-MEM:
4+4 vs 4+0
CacheMem 4+4 vs 4+0.png

CACHE-MEM LATENCY:
4+4 | 4+0 | 4+4 Adjusted
cachememlat_0512B-stride 4+4.png cachememlat_0512B-stride 4+0.png cachememlat_0512B-stride 4+4 Adjusted.png

GPGPU:

(8C/16T only)
gpgpu - Ryzen @ Stock DDR4-3200 14-15-15-35 vs R9-390 1050Core 1500Mem.png

cybereality had also pointed out the curiosity that the 4+0 run of the test only went up to 128MB, compared to the 4+4's 256MB. As such, and being I have no way to tell it to run any differently, I fired up M$Paint and adjusted things. That's what the "4+4 Adjusted" refers to on the 3rd image.

I find it kind of impressive that Ryzen, not overclocked at all, is able to DOUBLE an R9-390 in AES-256, and is on par with it in Double-Precision. Sure, Hawaii arch is old as hell now, but it's still a mighty capable chip. *sips wine* :pompous:
(Does that make nVidia like a Fine Champagne? It only stays good for a short while once you've opened the bottle, after that, it goes flat and you have to throw it away?)

Additionally, tonight I've certified that my system is 2hr Peggle Deluxe stable! (y) :D

Last edited:
Added some that I for some reason forgot about the first time... To be fair it was late! Kinda like now >_>

you should really test about core parking.
in the power daw measuremetns i did ther was no difference in powerdraw from the wall
also i believe Win10 does not have core parking enabled in balanced nor high performance. but i only did a short test in windows 10. since msot my machines are win7 and main main win10 machine is soo bugged after eperimentaing with core parking that i cant trust it :D

you should really test about core parking.
in the power daw measuremetns i did ther was no difference in powerdraw from the wall
also i believe Win10 does not have core parking enabled in balanced nor high performance. but i only did a short test in windows 10. since msot my machines are win7 and main main win10 machine is soo bugged after eperimentaing with core parking that i cant trust it :D
It does. If you open Resource Manager or even in Task Manager with the CPU graph set to show all cores, after a few moments of inactivity if you hover over the graphs on the bottom they'll have a pop-up bubble that says "Parked". :)

My Carrizo-powered Win10 laptop with Home (desktop has Pro) also parks them in Balanced. I don't have any sort of Kill-a-watt meter or ammeter to test draws though :\

Alrighty, so based on word of another BIOS futzer, I decided I'd take the plunge and flash the modded BIOS I cooked up for my Titanium. Full disclosure: no cooking was involved, all I did was the equivalent of pouring rice and water into a rice cooker, and then setting it up to do its thing. Alls I did was dump my BIOS, load it into the latest available AMIBCP (v5.02.0023), changed the "Access/Use" choice to "USER". Saved the file, renamed it to the official MSI naming scheme (to be safe), went into the BIOS, reset to Optimal Defaults (F6), restarted to apply them... went back into BIOS and flashed it through MFlash.

Worked like a charm :)
PROS: It worked! It didn't brick my system.
CONS: Further tinkering is needed, as menus I 'unlocked' are not accessible due to the layout of the AM4 BIOS (these were kinda copy-pasted from Intel platforms), so I'll have to try to shuffle them around manually. Worse news is that the SubTimings section, one or some of the unhidden options did not jive with AM4 (I have a theory as to which) and immediately crashed the system lol Yes, I crashed a BIOS, big deal, wanna fight about it?! :p It's fine though it just auto-rebooted and I could go right back into the BIOS A-Ok.

A couple things I did want accessible ARE now accessible, so that's a "yay" :) Here's my proof (and no, I don't think that "Adjusted DRAM Frequency" box is actually going to allow me to manually input my desired DRAM speed)

v110-modded.png

I was after the "Cool'N'Quiet" option since MSI left it hidden on the Titanium for whatever reason. Given it had always been suggested in the past to "Disable C'N'Q when overclocking", I decided when I get around to doing so it might be worth seeing if the old suggestion still holds up. :D

Now back to the editor to see if I can sort out that insta-reboot issue on the sub-timings page, and/or determine if I can indeed "move" options around into other menus. (God do I miss the Award BIOS editor for command prompt... it was so elegant in comparison to this Windows UI AMI uses. I could cut and paste menu and options, easily putting them where I wanted with a couple key strokes)

Back