Formula Boinc 2018 Strategy

I didn't have much of a bunker either but I got in whatever when it started at 11am cst. I am just crunching away at it now. do we have a link to see how we are doing besides the FB page?

Was able to find a way to get my lab is back online; but might play it safe for a little while yet. Most of the systems I checked have lots of WUs to process, so it should work out with a nice bunker drop. Just can't run the risk of my lab going offline again right now; already lost a couple hours to it today and have way too much to do today for that to happen again. :p

Was able to find a way to get my lab is back online; but might play it safe for a little while yet. Most of the systems I checked have lots of WUs to process, so it should work out with a nice bunker drop. Just can't run the risk of my lab going offline again right now; already lost a couple hours to it today and have way too much to do today for that to happen again. :p
you are such a dedicated [H]ard core DC cruncher this time around ;)

Oh thank god. Lets hope fastgeek isn't being blocked. Man that would hurt us big time.

Bomb bay doors have been opened... bombs away!

We'll see how well the proxy copes with all the WUs being sent and being grabbed. Quite possible it will crash; guess I'll know more in the morning. :p Fingers crossed this isn't a mistake!! :mask:

Total thread mini-jack, but how do the v3 and v4 Xeons compare against each other in the projects?'

I ask because of this: (Anand's Xeon E5 v4 Review)
V4_crypto_575px.png

Scope is big, but curious cause.... well...

hehe

:whistle:

Last edited:
I have both; but pretty sure not of the exact same model... so wouldn't be a very accurate comparison.

Get whichever one you can afford with the most cores. Clock speed is relatively important, but that close a generation more cores will out perform clock speed.

I ask only cause i got a couple extra GPUs (3) that i feel would totally fit into a setup like this.

I have an extra 4U too, but no real parts to fill out another rig.

On top of all that, my last true dually rig was an AthlonMP 1800+ build YEARS ago.

Sounds like you need another...

I am eying up Zen+ as a refresh for my X370 Then i can just put my 1700 in a B350 with like 8GB memory and put that for boinc only. 2x Ryzen7 = threadripper by my math :D

Speaking of prefered project to run... how about projects NOT to run. I checked my pending validation and i have 10 pages and its 100% OET... its really bogging me down and i keep getting more units with short return time, which leads me to believe people are dumping them for the sprint... I had been contemplating turning it off for the sprint and and now i wish i had.

XS si giving us eXtra-Shit. They are strong in WCG from the get-go.

All my xeons are really "old" (the bridges) except the 4669v3 which I upgraded recently. TR seems like the way to go, if I have extra $. No big tax refund this year, so no major upgrade.:(

I did neglect to be picky about projects this time; just letting whatever runs, run.

ChristianVirtual, approximate ppd numbers for TR against most projects are contained in the spreadsheet in post #27 on the Pentathlon strategy thread. For the projects you mentioned:

WCG: Between 40-60K on SCC depending on whether you use the pututu method of daily bunkering or not.
Rosetta: About 30K
GPUgrid: I haven't run the cpu app yet. Last I looked there seemed to be too many issues for high thread count rigs.

Acoustics@home has work for the first time this year. Unfortunately, XS have already spotted this and are hot on our heals with 5 of 7 team members signing up for the first time today.

Any help in fending them off would be welcome. From the stats, this seems to be the second project I've come across where Windows is faster than Linux.

I'm seeing about 10%+ improvement in Windows for the same machine (2695v2).

For Windows, see here.

For Linux, see here.

I'm on with two rigs.

Damm XS is getting serious on FB. We need to rethink a new strategy. Is there one?

Seems my proxy went down and had a bunch of WU's waiting to be sent; but it wasn't the ~3M to catch up XS. With my paranoia about the network situation from last week, I didn't want to login from home to tinker with it.

How long do you think Acoustics will have work? Someone wanna share their login with me so I can put a rig on it. I don't want to sign up.

Nevermind. It does have an account, just 0 points so it wasn't showing up.

edit
Yeah what pututu said lol

Looks like they're gonna crush us in this project. Sigh

Well, that just means we can squat on 18 points for now.....

Looks like they're gonna crush us in this project. Sigh

Yeh, we're getting wolfpacked by a small group of XS members. The same thing happened when Denis@home had work. They're incredibly quick to group together and hammer a project when it has work.

When they combine like this, the only ones that can out wolfpack them are fastgeek on cpu projects and atp1916 on gpu projects.

phoenicis TR rigs are doing great. Stoneageman (XS) also has like 5 TR rigs.

List of top computers as of now. I'm at 7th.

Frustrating when we have 6 of the top 7 hosts by rac and yet still get creamed. Stoneageman attacked Acoustics with 20 rigs of decent specification. Ho hum, onwards and upwards.

fastgeek can't move his systems over that fast.

I need to get that 80 core intel rig put together soon. Got a lead on a cheap motherboard so it might come sooner rather than later.

Careful what you guys ask for. EVGA isn't light on GPU power by any stretch.

Back