Former Yahoo CEO Apologizes for Data Breaches, Blames Russians

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Marissa Mayer apologized on Wednesday for two massive data breaches at the internet company, blaming Russian agents for at least one of them, at a hearing on the growing number of cyber attacks on major U.S. companies. “Unfortunately, while all our measures helped Yahoo successfully defend against the barrage of attacks by both private and state-sponsored hackers, Russian agents intruded on our systems and stole our users’ data.”

Verizon disclosed last month that a 2013 Yahoo data breach affected all 3 billion of its accounts, compared with an estimate of more than 1 billion disclosed in December. In March, federal prosecutors charged two Russian intelligence agents and two hackers with masterminding a 2014 theft of 500 million Yahoo accounts, the first time the U.S. government has criminally charged Russian spies for cyber crimes.

LEAVE RUSSIA ALONE!

598d614fbce4d_1_chris_598d61365668e.jpg

It's sad when a bunch of Russians are blamed for everything. This is an internet company that should know better, but looking at the person who was at the helm, i can fully understand why they were caught off guard and were circling the drain for years.

That sweater tho..

All part of the show. If she shows up in a granite-colored suit she looks like a robot. I might feel some sympathy for her if she wasn't spending millions on lavish parties while her ship was clearly sinking. Don't let her shaky voice and outfit fool you, she is just as bad as any of these other CEO's that fail miserably and still get rich. If she's so sorry, she can always give some money back.

Working in Info Security I can say that without any doubt there is a lot of "Russian Hacking". I am not convinced it is state sponsored. I think it is the Russian Mob.

This.
The Russian Mob decided years ago that it was much more profitable to steal and shake people down over the internet than to do it in person.

Slow internet [Russians did it]
Can't start your car [Russians did it]
Car starts on it's own [Russians did it]

Work as a contractor for a spy agency that is being spoed on that had spies incepting the spyware in your backdoored A/V and stole your spy tools because your a lamr. [Russians..isral...CIA HIVE impersonation...fuck it. Log off]

When this hack supposedly took place, I thought everyone was blaming the North Koreans for most of the hacks. Before that it was the Iranians. Now the Russians are the super hackers. Or is it the Chinese? It gets kinda confusing keeping track of who to blame. When will Congress wake up to their own failures to hold these companies accountable for failures to protect data?

When this hack supposedly took place, I thought everyone was blaming the North Koreans for most of the hacks. Before that it was the Iranians. Now the Russians are the super hackers. Or is it the Chinese? It gets kinda confusing keeping track of who to blame. When will Congress wake up to their own failures to hold these companies accountable for failures to protect data?

When money is removed from politics ?

Yet another underqualified person in an important position, blames everyone but herself. Who drove them to make every 3rd or 4th news story some clickbait crap that almost always was loaded with malware (good old "Warning, this is Microsoft. Your computer is infect. Click here to clean it (err, install really bad malware)"? Sorry, fault lies directly at the top, she was never qualified for the job AND after gutting the place manages to leave with a sweetheart deal? $23 million?

Yet another underqualified person in an important position, blames everyone but herself. Who drove them to make every 3rd or 4th news story some clickbait crap that almost always was loaded with malware (good old "Warning, this is Microsoft. Your computer is infect. Click here to clean it (err, install really bad malware)"? Sorry, fault lies directly at the top, she was never qualified for the job AND after gutting the place manages to leave with a sweetheart deal? $23 million?

Theory..

They put these clueless people in charge of companies intentionally to destroy them so people behind the scenes can roll them up and make bank. Look at how equifax screwed up and the whole CEO stock profit sales timing. Why on earth did an multinational organization with the records of almost 500million people employ someone who only had a music degree for the senior I.T position ? Put an incompetent in charge and let the rest happen naturally ?
Youtube is the same process. Now it's hemorrhaging money as it turns into a MSM TV platform and the hate gets directed at the useful idiot. When the objective is complete and the company is transformed, they ditch the person.

Last edited:
I think we are all alike. Rarely do we own up to our own mistakes and will be quick to blame others. Taking responsibility has many repercussions. Not the least of which is opening ourselves up to being sued or stunted advancement in our jobs.

Last edited:
Re: the OP topic - it's supposedly 2 Russians and a Canadian, and one other:
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ss-extradition-hearing-go-straight-to-us.html
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...lavish-lifestyle-of-alleged-yahoo-hacker.html

Working in Info Security I can say that without any doubt there is a lot of "Russian Hacking". I am not convinced it is state sponsored. I think it is the Russian Mob.

But how do you know that they're Russians? The CIA deliberately poses as Russia when it's hacking. WikiLeaks disclosed that information with its Vault 7 documents, and just today WikiLeaks has revealed one of the methods by which the CIA poses as Russia with their first publication from their new Vault 8 series:
https://www.rt.com/news/409376-cia-wrote-code-to-impersonate-kaspersky/
https://wikileaks.org/vault8/

"Digital certificates for the authentication of implants are generated by the CIA impersonating existing entities. The three examples included in the source code build a fake certificate for the anti-virus company Kaspersky Laboratory, Moscow pretending to be signed by Thawte Premium Server CA, Cape Town. In this way, if the target organization looks at the network traffic coming out of its network, it is likely to misattribute the CIA exfiltration of data to uninvolved entities whose identities have been impersonated."

Indeed. She's going for the innocent lady look. "Who me? I'm just a sweet soccer mom."

Anyway, its always the Russians, or the Chinese, or Macedonian content farmers.

Yup, that's what USA and some other Western media likes to say. Yet, at the very same time, the greatest security threats on the planet are USA-created malware.

Haven't yet heard of a Russian-made WannaCry, or Stuxnet...

Last edited:
quite a genius actually
once you blame the Russians, you do not need to show any proof, and your responsibility gets redirected immediately.

(IT professionals, take note. Just blame the Russians next time)

Russia has made their search engine suck for years too.

<KirkVoice> RUSSSSIIIIAAAA </KirkVoice>

Re: the OP topic - it's supposedly 2 Russians and a Canadian, and one other:
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ss-extradition-hearing-go-straight-to-us.html
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...lavish-lifestyle-of-alleged-yahoo-hacker.html

But how do you know that they're Russians? The CIA deliberately poses as Russia when it's hacking. WikiLeaks disclosed that information with its Vault 7 documents, and just today WikiLeaks has revealed one of the methods by which the CIA poses as Russia with their first publication from their new Vault 8 series:
https://www.rt.com/news/409376-cia-wrote-code-to-impersonate-kaspersky/
https://wikileaks.org/vault8/

"Digital certificates for the authentication of implants are generated by the CIA impersonating existing entities. The three examples included in the source code build a fake certificate for the anti-virus company Kaspersky Laboratory, Moscow pretending to be signed by Thawte Premium Server CA, Cape Town. In this way, if the target organization looks at the network traffic coming out of its network, it is likely to misattribute the CIA exfiltration of data to uninvolved entities whose identities have been impersonated."

Yup, that's what USA and some other Western media likes to say. Yet, at the very same time, the greatest security threats on the planet are USA-created malware.

Haven't yet heard of a Russian-made WannaCry, or Stuxnet...

Because they are Russian.

Back