Former or current 1080 ti/Titan (Pascal) owners

If you were the owner of a 1080 ti/titan did you buy a new 2080 ti/titan when released?

• Yes, I bought a new 2080 ti/Titan.

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • No, I am waiting for next gen/price drops.

Votes: 108 77.7%
  • No, I bought an AMD card instead.

Votes: 10 7.2%

• Total voters
I am waiting personally. The 1080Ti handles my native 2560x1600 fine for the most part, and if I buy a new RTX card, I don't want one that can't at the very least use raytracing at my current 2560x1600 @60. 4K would be nice, but I am not currently interested simply because I can't find a 4k monitor I like. So if the 3080Ti can do 2560x1600/2560x1440 with RTX on then sure, I'll buy an upgrade otherwise I am not interested in it either.

Reactions: drklu
like this
I agree with Mchart on this one.

If we consider the 60fps the "playable" cutoff, having that extra 20-30 percent in 4k is the difference between playable and unplayable in many titles.

It isn't in all titles though, which is why I question the value of spending yet another $1,200 plus water block on a 2080ti and still not being able to get playable framerates in everything.

I'm holding off for the next gen. 3080ti?

Come on, most of us here are old enough to accept 24fps as playable :cool:

It’s the difference between playable and unplayable. It’s at least 30% faster.

Not sure where you got $1300 from either. It’s $1k or $1200 if you got founders.

It's actually anywhere between $1300 and $1600 in Sweden, depending on the manufacturer.

Come on, most of us here are old enough to accept 24fps as playable :cool:
15 FPS in Test Drive 2 and Geoff Crammond's F1GP was about the limit for me at that time. But Doom raised the bar to 35 FPS just a few years later, so there is no going back :cat:.

I got an Titan X (Pascal) in Aug 2016, then traded it for a Titan Xp in Feb 2018 and I'm more than pleased with it.

Basically, until I get a 120hz 4K screen, I'm happy to trade off 4K@60hz for non shooters, and 1080p@240hz for online FPS etc.

My Sony TV does both, and until I get a new one, there's simply no point in upgrading for me. :)

"Still" using a Zotac 1080Ti mini, which is actually quite new. Bought it as the very last of the stock in north america dried up.

I got it for 4K, but once I discovered my Sony X900 TV overclocked to 1080p / 165Hz, that is all I run now.

Next purchase will likely be a 1440p VA G-Sync display.

When I bought my Titan X Pascal back in August 2016 (day it came out), it was to replace 2 GTX980s in SLI. I was tired of the SLI issues in games, although SLI worked fine for my then addiction, Overwatch. What really bummed me out was that the Titan ran so hot when I was playing Overwatch at 1080p/144Hz, not even overclocked, that the driver would actually have to bump the fan to 100% regularly, on the stock blower, to keep it under 92C (I think, it was 3.5 years ago).

Well, I bought an EVGA hybrid cooler for the Titan X Pascal, and that changed everything. It stays at or under 60C now, and that's overclocked to an average of 2000-2050MHz depending on the power draw. At this point I'm now gaming on a 3440x1440@100Hz ultrawide and pretty much stay at a consistent 100fps. Couldn't be happier with this card. Can't believe it's still one of the fastest cards available 3.5 years later. Wasn't expecting that. No interest in upgrading until something significantly better comes out... probably the 3080Ti I guess?? Also, if Nvidia thinks I'm going to pay $2500 for the next Titan, they can forget it. I don't care if it butters my bread.

When I bought my Titan X Pascal back in August 2016 (day it came out), it was to replace 2 GTX980s in SLI. I was tired of the SLI issues in games, although SLI worked fine for my then addiction, Overwatch. What really bummed me out was that the Titan ran so hot when I was playing Overwatch at 1080p/144Hz, not even overclocked, that the driver would actually have to bump the fan to 100% regularly, on the stock blower, to keep it under 92C (I think, it was 3.5 years ago).

Well, I bought an EVGA hybrid cooler for the Titan X Pascal, and that changed everything. It stays at or under 60C now, and that's overclocked to an average of 2000-2050MHz depending on the power draw. At this point I'm now gaming on a 3440x1440@100Hz ultrawide and pretty much stay at a consistent 100fps. Couldn't be happier with this card. Can't believe it's still one of the fastest cards available 3.5 years later. Wasn't expecting that. No interest in upgrading until something significantly better comes out... probably the 3080Ti I guess?? Also, if Nvidia thinks I'm going to pay $2500 for the next Titan, they can forget it. I don't care if it butters my bread.

Very similar for me.

I was an early adopter of 4k60hz in the summer of 2015.

No single GPU could render fast enough, so I got two 980ti's.

I quickly got fed up with the shittiness of SLI. I should have known better. I did the exact same thing in 2010 when I was an early adopter of 2560x1600, and wound up with dual Radeon 6970's and hated the experience.

Anyway, about a year later I bought the Pascal Titan X on launch. Problem (mostly) solved.

I never had the heat/noise issue you did though, because the only time I ever used the stock cooler was to test to make sure it worked. Once it went into my build it had afullcover water block on it.

I have the fans set up so it stays under 40C at all time.

I didn't win the silicon lottery though. In some titles it can boost to 2080, but most of the time I'm at 2030-2050. Upping the voltage (within specs, no modding) does nothing.

There was a few reasons I didn't feel it was worthwhile to upgrade from my 1080ti to a 2080ti, but my main reason was my 1080ti perfectly pushed my 100hz 3440x1440 monitor to its limits, and I think that was the same case for many 1080ti owners.
I mean, the next gen monitors (4k 144hz) are still very much out of the price range for most people, so it seems like many of us are holding onto our current monitors, negating the necessity to upgrade our GPUs. I don't know, thats how it was for me, the one question I kept asking people when the 2080ti went on sale was "what monitors are these people even connecting the 2080ti to?"

There was a few reasons I didn't feel it was worthwhile to upgrade from my 1080ti to a 2080ti, but my main reason was my 1080ti perfectly pushed my 100hz 3440x1440 monitor to its limits, and I think that was the same case for many 1080ti owners.
I mean, the next gen monitors (4k 144hz) are still very much out of the price range for most people, so it seems like many of us are holding onto our current monitors, negating the necessity to upgrade our GPUs. I don't know, thats how it was for me, the one question I kept asking people when the 2080ti went on sale was "what monitors are these people even connecting the 2080ti to?"

Acer X27. Monitors do exist, but it's a small amount of people with high refresh rate 4k displays and/or 4K TV's.

but it's a small amount of people with high refresh rate 4k displays and/or 4K TV's.

Exactly, seems like monitor technology has been very slowly improving, making the highest end GPUs overkill for the vast majority of gamer's monitors, killing off the necessity for many of us to upgrade our GPUs.
The people that want monitor technology to vastly improve, more then anyone else, is probably Nvidia...

Since my son was born, i don't have enough time to play as before. I bought a gigabyte 980ti g1 back in the middle of 2016 and this big metal chunk was enough to play all i want on 1080p. There are only few demanding games which lower my fps below 60 border.
Always felt there is no point for me to upgrade for something lesser than 1080Ti. Then a week ago a friend of mine asked me if i want his almost not used 1 year old msi gtx 1080 ti gaming x. Hell yeah - i want it... :)

Got it for 415$. Don't think this card will be obsolate very soon at 1080p and 1440p and with nVidia's ridiculous prices i would never buy a brand new card from them. 2080ti will never worth it over 1080 ti on this prices.

Now it's time to replace my whole platform. My i7 3770k @ 4.4 GHz is still a capable performer but think to give a chance to the newest Ryzen gen. A Ryzen5 3600 looks like the best deal for casual gaming and think it will pair more adequate with the beast of a card which my gaming x is. :D

Back