Former idle temps now my load temps (Warning: horror pics)

MindBuster

2[H]4U
So, I hadnt had any temp monitoring programs launched for like 1½ years, so I started Asus PC probe to have a look, and my cpu was idling at 52°C, ouch, I removed the front cover of my Lian Li and saw alot of dust totally covering the filter, after removing it my temps dropped 3°C.

That was yesterday, today I opened the case to give my CPNS9500 a cleaner also, and this is what i saw after removing the heatsink...

dust1.jpg

dust2.jpg

:eek:

After cleaning it my temps dropped....

Before:

CPU: idle=52°C, load=surface temperature of the Sun
Fan RPM: 2200

After:

CPU: idle 42°C, load=51°C
Fan RPM: 2350

I was out of AS5 so I used some of the Zalman stuff that comes with their heatsinks, could prolly drop the temps a few more degrees.

I dont have any pics of the front filter, but it was about the same as the heatsink. :p

My PC is a bit noisier now though.

Wowsa! I feel that I must point out that all smokers and their machines aren't stinking cesspools of filth and grime. I smoke in a well-ventillated garage and I tend to clean out my PC once a month or so. Granted I:m only about 1/4 as bad as the OP said he was but still. VENTILLATE. lol

You know, i'd probably clean out the rest of the computer after seeing a heatsink like that.

Yeah, I think he knows that smoking is bad...

I think you guys should lay off of him..

K?

So, I hadnt had any temp monitoring programs launched for like 1½ years, so I started Asus PC probe to have a look, and my cpu was idling at 52°C, ouch, I removed the front cover of my Lian Li and saw alot of dust totally covering the filter, after removing it my temps dropped 3°C.

Shame on you. You should know better than that.Poor computer it should be taken away from him and replaced with a old K6 or somthing.

Sorry I got caught up in the moment. But can you say compressed air?

Honestly, you've probably been told a number of times, but smoking is pretty damn stupid. My uncle quit a couple years back after 30 some-odd years, so I know that with enough willpower it can be done. If not for yourself, do it for your comp:D

Shame on you. You should know better than that.Poor computer it should be taken away from him and replaced with a old K6 or somthing.

Sorry I got caught up in the moment. But can you say compressed air?

eh, not sure compressed air can blow all that tar and sludge off of there.

poor zalman 9500, this just shows you that computers suffer from second hand smoke as well, lol.

can you say compressed air?

Lol, can you say hot running water and scrubbing alot with an old toothbrush which is what I did :p

As for the smoking thing, I AM trying to quit, next week I'm gonna paint my livingroom which is where my PC is, the white walls are kinda yellowish also, at the same time I'll clean out the rest of the PC also, when it's done I wont allow my self to smoke in the livingroom but rather do it in the kitchen if at all, atleast it will cut down on the amount of smoking, and get rid of the yellow walls and prevent my PC and other electronic devices to end up like this.
I've been smoking for 25+ years now.

As thelma and patty bouvier puts it...

"Only after dinner....and watching McGyver"

ah, and a nice system you have too!

I recently been starting to see more and more LCD and DLP projection tv's coming into the shop for repair that have had lots of smoke damage, having fans that crusted up with tar and dust that you can't even see through the fins anymore! Once this happens there isn't much cooling on the lamp which will increase temperatures and has actually started to melt the lamps housing, also before that time smoke has had the chance to get into the light engine and complete smoke up the mirror's and lcd panels and such, I know alot of these folks that smoke around these tv's aren't going to like to see the repair bills when a light engine can cost over 600$ just for the part and not even talking about labor!

A good motivation to stop smoking is to simply smoke outside. :eek:

I did it and it pissed me off enough that i stopped!!!! It really works as long as you don't get attached to that one chair and ash tray you use on the porch. :rolleyes:

A good motivation to stop smoking is to simply smoke outside. :eek:

I did it and it pissed me off enough that i stopped!!!! It really works as long as you don't get attached to that one chair and ash tray you use on the porch. :rolleyes:

Only made me smoke less. But when it was cold outside I would smoke inside a bathroom with a vent fan and a towel blocking off the bottom of the door. Even took a 19" lcd tv in there to watch the superbowl this year. :D

Anyway back on topic. Your lucky man my moms heatsink was clogged with dust and the fan clip for the heatsink started melting, then the fan stopped working from the heat I guess and started melting.

Here's what it looks like after that happened. You can see I didn't bother removing the old crap because it was a bitch so I just put on some as5 and it worked fine till I put a 1900+ in it. It's a 1.2ghz duron

img1534gh8.jpg

s what it looks like after that happened. You can see I didn't bother removing the old crap because it was a bitch so I just put on some as5 and it worked fine till I put a 1900+ in it. It's a 1.2ghz duron

Wow That should go in the AMD hall of fame or something. I cant believe it still worked.

Back