Former Engineer Says Uber Is a Nightmare of Sexism

There is only one problem with your response: Men do not care if women objectify them. If you report a 60 year old lady than pretty much "everyone" you work will would consider you a douche.

If she is in a position over me, damn right I would care. Even if she wasn't and kept propositioning me after I told her "Never ever gonna happen". It's like the creepy guy who keeps asking you out. Well the same goes in reverse. I do care.

Similarly if a calendar has a pretty girl on it, and the guys in the back room like it, than the company name on the calendar will be seen everyday by the people that sell car parts. It's called marketing a brand name...

First off, the guys at the stores like NAPA and Autozone don't make the purchasing decisions. Second if you rely on that, then your customer base is a bunch of weak minded fools.

And I'm NOT drinking any feminist Koolaide. I hate feminist. But I understand the need to draw a professional line. Sex has no place in the workplace if that isn't your business.

................ I hate feminist. But I understand the need to draw a professional line. Sex has no place in the workplace if that isn't your business.

I can see your point, up to a point.

The rules and laws are the way they are for a reason. The are not so hard and fast and clear cut because they allow for human difference, or indifference if you will.

I am at manager at a large firm, I have a couple thousand employees too many to be a small business anymore. It's not a good idea to let Herb from accounting keep his Hooter's Calendar up where everyone walking by his cubicle can see it. Someone's not going to like it. I can wait until someone complains but I'm proactive like that and I know there is always someone who will wait until it hurts to open their mouth about how offended they are so the poster is coming down.

I am the owner of a small lawnmower repair business. Did I sat small ? I am also the only employee, well my son helps me on weekends and holidays. I pay him too much but we have a deal and he has to save some for college. I display my Hooter's calendar proudly and I'll worry about someone not liking it when my wife complains about it and until then it's staying up.

I own a small business and we sell car parts, do some automotive repairs, it's a franchise and I run the store most days. I have eight employees, two are girls who do a lot of the retail parts and tools work, cash register, stocking shelves, etc. Most of the guys are mechanics and they have a Hooter's calendar up in the back of the store by the employee washroom that is there for the mechanics to wash up and get the grease off and to handle it when mother nature calls. No one has complained about the poster to me yet, but if someone does, and depending on who it is, I'll deal with it when the time comes. Until it becomes a problem, I'm fine with it. If no one complains then it's not that big a deal is it.

What I am saying is, the law is flexible on this because the fact is, it's all about how people feel and people are different. Every case is it's own case and the only time people are really guilty of harassment is when they are inconsiderate of their fellows.

Not sure.

First off, it's not directly related and the only common link is that this guy was hired by Uber, and fired by Uber, which is the company in question on this woman's block post. Amit Singhal was hired on or about Jan 20th, Uber firing him, they say "because he lied about why he left Google."

This woman's blog post is dated Feb. 19th 2017.

Reflecting on one very, very strange year at Uber
February 19, 2017
As most of you know, I left Uber in December and joined Stripe in January.

And she left Uber in December last year which is before they hired Amit Singhal, so there is no connection between them.

All we really have is Uber being overly careful about this image thing and perhaps going to lengths to repair it.

What would be freaky is if this woman knew someone who worked for Google that this guy had harassed, and if she made her blog post because they had heard Uber was hiring him and they she wanted to "poison the well".

Not sure.

What would be freaky is if this woman knew someone who worked for Google that this guy had harassed, and if she made her blog post because they had heard Uber was hiring him and they she wanted to "poison the well".

You're right on the dates. I agree Uber is trying to clean up its image.

But if the woman did this intentionally to sabotage uber, she is beyond BSC (Bat Sh|t Crazy)

But if the woman did this intentionally to sabotage uber, she is beyond BSC (Bat Sh|t Crazy)

I don't see it that way. We just live in another time than what many of us are use too. My parents always told me to stay with a company. Now, I have gone to interviews with major companies where they're shocked that I stayed with a company for more than 2 years. And where before, professionalism demanded that you don't talk bad about previous employers, now we live in the social media generation where narcissism is the new norm, where you post every detail about your life on Facebook.

You're right on the dates. I agree Uber is trying to clean up its image.

I wasn't thinking so much about an attack on Uber as I was this one ex-Google guy in particular. He was fired because he lied about past transgressions. But the timing is really crazy. She left in December, this guy get's hired in Jan and within just a couple of weeks, close to two months after she leaves Uber, She decides she wants to "reflect" on her time with Uber.

I don't really mean that I believe that this is how it happened, I don't. But like I said, it would be freaky if it did.

Back