Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...

Forgive me father for I too have sinned.
Yeah, I agree. If you value your time and mental health, then spending hours and hours trying (and failing) to get a card at MSRP is not worth it.

The situation won't improve for at least another year, or it could even get worse considering everything going on (COVID, Chinese invasion, etc.).

Yeah, you spend a bit more money, but you can't take that money to the grave. Also, you can enjoy your life today while you are still around (tomorrow is not guaranteed).

Yeah, I agree. If you value your time and mental health, then spending hours and hours trying (and failing) to get a card at MSRP is not worth it.

The situation won't improve for at least another year, or it could even get worse considering everything going on (COVID, Chinese invasion, etc.).

Yeah, you spend a bit more money, but you can't take that money to the grave. Also, you can enjoy your life today while you are still around (tomorrow is not guaranteed).
You can't take it with you but it may lead you to it.

Well, to be honest, I got really sick last week and thought I might have got COVID.

I recovered, but there was a point where I was sick in bed and seriously facing that I might die. Definitely changes your perspective.

Well, to be honest, I got really sick last week and thought I might have got COVID.

I recovered, but there was a point where I was sick in bed and seriously facing that I might die. Definitely changes your perspective.
Did you get tested for Covid? Hope you are OK.

Did you get tested for Covid? Hope you are OK.
No. I didn't get tested. I would have had to wait a week (which isn't helpful) but I've been staying indoors for 2 weeks before I see any friends/family just to be safe.

I see my doctor in a week, so I will mention it to him, but I'm feeling perfectly fine now so it might have been nothing (or if it was COVID, then the vaccine works).

Why would you have to wait a week to get tested? Plenty of testing sites around and you get the results within 48 hours typically.

That's probably true. I just called my doctor and that was the soonest appointment they had.

The 2080 Ti goes for like $1200 these days, so if you can get even $1000 for it, you're only out $500. Having an existing high-end GPU to sell off after you buy the new one leaves you in a much better position right now, actually. So people who have high end cards and want an even better one can upgrade more easily. Can't blame you for playing that card, so to speak.

I doubt I can sell my 2080Ti Seahawk EK-X for that much. Where have you seen this? Because people want to charge that much, but I don't believe anyone is paying them that much.

I lost my mom & my uncle to covid 19. It absolutely COULD be a death sentence.
Just because you know someone that died doesn't change what he said. The chances of dying from covid are well under 1% and even of those people the vast majority are either elderly or morbidly obese with numerous comorbidities. If your parents meet none of those criteria that still doesn't mean your exception is the rule. And I'm sorry if I sound disrespectful or heartless but I'm just discussing the facts about the virus not not anything more so don't take it personal.

I lost my mom & my uncle to covid 19. It absolutely COULD be a death sentence.
A death sentence is a guarantee that death will be the result. There are other factors that contributed to the complications your parents had with the viral disease. My condolences to you and your family, but let us keep things in perspective.

Except when it is. Too bad you can't ask all those people who wanted their freedom, so they didn't get shots. Then they died for it.
Do you feel the same way about the tens of thousands of people who die from the flu every year that didn't get a flu shot or is it just a covid thing? Are we gonna start stigmatizing people who don't get flu shots now too? Too bad we can't ask the thousands of people every year who get killed by drunk drivers either.

Do you feel the same way about the tens of thousands of people who die from the flu every year that didn't get a flu shot or is it just a covid thing? Are we gonna start stigmatizing people who don't get flu shots now too? Too bad we can't ask the thousands of people every year who get killed by drunk drivers either.
Of course! Stigmatize everyone. I'm naughty too. I have twice as many Ampere cards as I have people in this house. So what's worse, buying from a scalper or having a 2:1 Ampere to people ratio? (granted it's just me so 2 cards, 1 gamer)

I bought a few 3070s for 1000 bucks a pop as well so yeah. The extra I paid over MSRP (like $250-300) will be made back after mining for a month so not bothered about it.

I bought a few 3070s for 1000 bucks a pop as well so yeah. The extra I paid over MSRP (like $250-300) will be made back after mining for a month so not bothered about it.
You mean you're... mining? For profit? On gaming cards? Sinner! Welcome to the club. I haven't been mining but anything that keeps a gaming card out of a gamer's hands or feeds a scalper is a sin by gamer standards.

Hi, my name is cybereality and it's been 1 week since I last splurged on a useless upgrade for my computer.

I may get hated for this comment but here goes.

The topic of this thread should be "Forgive me gamers for people that pay well over MSRP for GPUs tell companies that we will pay anything to get a card and thus will raise the MSRP on GPUs for generations to come"

See the 3080 FE at $699 to the 3080 Ti FE at $1199

Edit: typos

Last edited:
RGB Sins lol

Attachments

• 4E866F99-167D-4296-AFA1-9B64F89FE438.jpeg
    4E866F99-167D-4296-AFA1-9B64F89FE438.jpeg
    487.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1FC21FBB-D0EB-414C-A50C-1F3A11E01E15.jpeg
    1FC21FBB-D0EB-414C-A50C-1F3A11E01E15.jpeg
    523.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1CC1D392-B76F-4CC5-9F43-7553103D3C51.jpeg
    1CC1D392-B76F-4CC5-9F43-7553103D3C51.jpeg
    523.9 KB · Views: 0
Of course! Stigmatize everyone. I'm naughty too. I have twice as many Ampere cards as I have people in this house. So what's worse, buying from a scalper or having a 2:1 Ampere to people ratio? (granted it's just me so 2 cards, 1 gamer)
I'm worse than you....

I have 10 with only three people and a really big dog, so I am like a big time sinner, but I'm having fun doing it.

3090 I got from a guy going to college that nailed a BB stock drop. I paid over msrp.
a 3080 I got from a guy that won it in a shuffle only to realize it was a waterforce. He sold it to me for what he paid for his package of the card and mobo., so really not too bad at all.
a couple other 3080s I got from dudes just selling them...I think one was from a shuffle. Again, over MSRP.
3060ti I got for like $400 from a shuffle. Another 3060ti I got from a guy that was selling it for over msrp.

None were those sleazy scalpers operating bots on amazon....just guys taking advantage of the situation I guess.

Then, perhaps the biggest sin of all....

I have four 3070s from B&H all at MSRP. They sent me an email link to a 3070 and said "we reserved one for you." Then a week later, I got another email from B&H, then a week later, another, and then another the following week.

Oh and for testing, you can get the self tests now from like CVS and Walmart...those binax ones. We have a supply at work just in case. They work pretty well and you don't have to wait. We have used them to diagnose I think five positives now. Only problem now is finding them....I had to order them in. Might be worth it to just spend the $20 to have one in the medicine cabinet.

The thing you have to remember is you have to scower all the sights for the best prices on new cards. The AMD cards seem to drop in price every once in a blue moon on EBAY when they are new. The guy I got mine from had five for sale all at the same price. Just at the right place at the right time I guess. At that point the used GPU market was insane for the 2080 series cards back then and I believe still are being sold new for well over MSRP. The 3090 is basically unobtainable unless you have the scratch and luck out on a card. Craigslist is sometimes a good place to go esp if you live in the bay area like I used to. I still look on CL the SF Bay area and there are deals to be had. I scored a lot of stuff back starting from 2006. I got a set of 8800GTX's for $350 a pop "used" they were basically brand new.

EDIT: To dig even further, I live in the Tampa region. Just did a region search on CL. There is a 3090 for sale in Orlando for $1500. A friggen bargain in todays climate. I've driven to the north area of Tampa and purchased a used macbook pro and we made the exchange at a local coffee shop. Even struck up a good conversation for 30 mins over a cup of coffee.

Last edited:
The thing you have to remember is you have to scower all the sights for the best prices on new cards. The AMD cards seem to drop in price every once in a blue moon on EBAY when they are new. The guy I got mine from had five for sale all at the same price. Just at the right place at the right time I guess. At that point the used GPU market was insane for the 2080 series cards back then and I believe still are being sold new for well over MSRP. The 3090 is basically unobtainable unless you have the scratch and luck out on a card. Craigslist is sometimes a good place to go esp if you live in the bay area like I used to. I still look on CL the SF Bay area and there are deals to be had. I scored a lot of stuff back starting from 2006. I got a set of 8800GTX's for $350 a pop "used" they were basically brand new.

EDIT: To dig even further, I live in the Tampa region. Just did a region search on CL. There is a 3090 for sale in Orlando for $1500. A friggen bargain in todays climate. I've driven to the north area of Tampa and purchased a used macbook pro and we made the exchange at a local coffee shop. Even struck up a good conversation for 30 mins over a cup of coffee.
The Cobra

I agree that you need to check all the different stores and venues. Problem is, I just don't have the time anymore for this. So either I pay 3X (and try to explain it to my better half, ha!) or I have to suck it up until prices drop. I've done a lot of sucking up lately. I know that some guys won't agree with me but we all need to make decisions based on our own circumstances.

I def agree, I was lucky as I was still working from home part time when I was able to land it. Now that I’m back to work full time I would not have the time to do that.

The Cobra

I agree that you need to check all the different stores and venues. Problem is, I just don't have the time anymore for this. So either I pay 3X (and try to explain it to my better half, ha!) or I have to suck it up until prices drop. I've done a lot of sucking up lately. I know that some guys won't agree with me but we all need to make decisions based on our own circumstances.
What card are you looking to buy phil? Lots of people's evga queues are coming in and some are passing on them.

I got an RTX 3060 for my spare rig. It was on ebay, but the price wasn't 3x so not so horrible.

I wish I had gone for the 3060 Ti, but that would have meant a new PSU as well, and I didn't want to deal with it.

Now with the 3060 I can play most games at 4K, which I was surprised about. Granted, at low or medium settings, but it works.

I ended up buying a couple of lower end evga cards to get in the step up queue.

Seems to be the quickest way to guarantee a new high end card with full warranty.

If you can end up getting an evga 3090 from an official retailer, the extra $60 to extend the warranty to 10 years is pretty nice.

Makes me feel more comfortable dropping that much on a card if I know I will get my money worth due to warranty.

Seems to be the quickest way to guarantee a new high end card with full warranty.

If you can end up getting an evga 3090 from an official retailer, the extra $60 to extend the warranty to 10 years is pretty nice.

Makes me feel more comfortable dropping that much on a card if I know I will get my money worth due to warranty.
Grabbed a 3070ti to get a 3080. Love step up

How does the step up program work? Does it have to be new cards? Can it be cards from anywhere (e.g. ebay) or must be from an official retailer, etc? And do you need original receipt? Thanks

Back