"Forgettable, Repetitive": Early Reviews Aren't Kind on Anthem

So if you are doing one of the Strongholds specifically the Tyrant Mines, there are a few trash mobs a long the way in a couple of parts.......please for the love of god for the rest of the team don't stop and kill them. We had this one asshole last night...lvl 12, like 30 power or something. With 3x Lv25+ suits all with over 300 Power holding us up on hard diff. Literally took it from a 20min run to a 30 min run because that guy was a prick.

The game comes out in a few days, try to have some patience with people as they learn it, some of us don't have the time to be max level already and have all the encounters on farm status.

Yeah, that's not his fault. That's Bioware's fault for allowing the matchmaking system for that happen.

So if you are doing one of the Strongholds specifically the Tyrant Mines, there are a few trash mobs a long the way in a couple of parts.......please for the love of god for the rest of the team don't stop and kill them. We had this one asshole last night...lvl 12, like 30 power or something. With 3x Lv25+ suits all with over 300 Power holding us up on hard diff. Literally took it from a 20min run to a 30 min run because that guy was a prick.

So your one of those aholes, part of the reason I hate multiplayer games, there is always some that want to rush it, and some trying to explore. Take a chill pill and relax, its just a game and if your grinding it to save 10 minutes or two hours of actual game play so you can check your shiny shit at the treasure pile then you are the problem with modern games.

Yeah, that's not his fault. That's Bioware's fault for allowing the matchmaking system for that happen.

Custom pre-mades would be nice. "XXX Speed run only" Or even like a veteran queue maybe you can only get into it once you have completed a certain thing so many times so it would at least guarantee that you know the encounter well enough.

So your one of those aholes, part of the reason I hate multiplayer games, there is always some that want to rush it, and some trying to explore. Take a chill pill and relax, its just a game and if your grinding it to save 10 minutes or two hours of actual game play so you can check your shiny shit at the treasure pile then you are the problem with modern games.

Get over yourself, we were doing it to run through it for the nth time that day. That guy was way too low of a fucking level to be in there.

The game comes out in a few days, try to have some patience with people as they learn it, some of us don't have the time to be max level already and have all the encounters on farm status.

Dude was too low lvl to even be on Hard mode. He was constantly dead the entire time.

So blame Bioware for the matchmaking system, not the low level dude who is only level 12 still trying to figure out the game.

Get over yourself, we were doing it to run through it for the nth time that day. That guy was way too low of a fucking level to be in there.

This is your problem, and it isn't a big one, you got a level 12, take it in stride. Get over myself when its you having the problem.

It is a game, and you literally are looking to check your treasure pile, again, you are the problem with modern games.

Edit: Also Mchart and Darunion are right, its a matchmaking issue, not a player issue. Your outrage just makes toxic communities.

Edit: To remove some toxicity

Last edited:
Dude was too low lvl to even be on Hard mode. He was constantly dead the entire time.

Was probably me, i tried a hard mode yesterday and got my ass handed to me. No level restriction on hard so I thought give it a try since norm the boss would die in under 10 seconds and trash would fall so quickly, so I tried stepping it up for a challenge. It was not tiered well IMO. Have not gone back to that diff since.

I like a challenge, steam rolling through stuff bores me too quickly. I just think the scaling and match making needs tweaked a bit.

Was probably me, i tried a hard mode yesterday and got my ass handed to me. No level restriction on hard so I thought give it a try since norm the boss would die in under 10 seconds and trash would fall so quickly, so I tried stepping it up for a challenge. It was not tiered well IMO. Have not gone back to that diff since.

I like a challenge, steam rolling through stuff bores me too quickly. I just think the scaling and match making needs tweaked a bit.

I've been playing on hard mode since I loaded it up, haven't hit a strike yet but so far the game is just easy. I have noticed that most people don't take advantage of the game design though, such as flight. As the interceptor suit I've dropped right in the middle of the boss spawn and mob, dished out a clip of damage or some melee + q/e and jumped out usually with shields still up. I've noticed most people play the cover and run game, rather than using the tools provided. Flight is OP.

I've been playing on hard mode since I loaded it up, haven't hit a strike yet but so far the game is just easy. I have noticed that most people don't take advantage of the game design though, such as flight. As the interceptor suit I've dropped right in the middle of the boss spawn and mob, dished out a clip of damage or some melee + q/e and jumped out usually with shields still up. I've noticed most people play the cover and run game, rather than using the tools provided. Flight is OP.

Man I am having the struggle of my life flying with the mouse. Flying with my controller feels so fluid but then my aiming sucks lol.

edit: underwater can f*** off with its darkness and using only a headlamp, have they not invented IR or sonar in this timeline/place?

Man I am having the struggle of my life flying with the mouse. Flying with my controller feels so fluid but then my aiming sucks lol.

edit: underwater can f*** off with its darkness and using only a headlamp, have they not invented IR or sonar in this timeline/place?

Try changing how you perceive the scene when your flying, I found it troublesome at the start, but forced my way through it.

The biggest issue I had to compensate for was that your flights aim isn't based on the character model, which is slightly off to the left, but the cursor on the screen. Every time I had issues it was because I was trying to use my model to navigate, rather than the cursor. (I hope that makes sense)

Try changing how you perceive the scene when your flying, I found it troublesome at the start, but forced my way through it.

The biggest issue I had to compensate for was that your flights aim isn't based on the character model, which is slightly off to the left, but the cursor on the screen. Every time I had issues it was because I was trying to use my model to navigate, rather than the cursor. (I hope that makes sense)

That sounds right, once im moving in air I am fine it is just that transition that screws with me at first. I should just get used to it. Last night was my first time playing so maybe i am just getting old and expecting too much lol.

That sounds right, once im moving in air I am fine it is just that transition that screws with me at first. I should just get used to it. Last night was my first time playing so maybe i am just getting old and expecting too much lol.

I found RDR 2 helped, I had similar control issues in RDR though for different mechanical reasons, in RDR you move close to reality, so its plodding for lack of a better word, and again its third person but your character moves in context of the model, not the screen (no cursor unless your aiming as its a console title). Once you learn how to use the momentum and adjust to movement being model based, its much easier. Also don't hold forward on the joystick, use X to move your horse forward and left/right on the joystick.

In many ways, RDR made me worse at Anthem until I adjusted, as I was trying to pilot by model, rather than screen and cursor. I prefer the RDR model as it makes you feel like your controlling the character, rather than aiming them.

Go into freeplay and just fly, take it into tight spaces, try to do stunts, basically practice.

* the help part was that RDR made me better at understanding the movement mechanics of various titles, because its mechanic is so unique.

Odd. I enjoy playing it. The 'immersion' is pathetic, forced dialogue with bad voice acting. The character animations are pretty well done but it doesn't matter since I just skip through all the 'immersion' crap and pick the most glib option in the dialogue check, which often gives you all the rep you could get from it.

However the gameplay, responsiveness, mechanics such as combos, flying, and the shooting, I've enjoyed it quite a bit!

So big patch on Friday, and they say it will address the Loading times, so I'll guess we'll see if a bunch of YT'er's eat shit on Friday. *shrugs*

So big patch on Friday, and they say it will address the Loading times, so I'll guess we'll see if a bunch of YT'er's eat shit on Friday. *shrugs*

Oh good, I had originally installed it on my hdd, but then moved it to ssd to see if it was my problem, glad it wasnt just me.

Oh good, I had originally installed it on my hdd, but then moved it to ssd to see if it was my problem, glad it wasnt just me.

Its better on the SSD, but evidently there are still issues. We'll see what the improvement really is.

Its better on the SSD, but evidently there are still issues. We'll see what the improvement really is.

Ive forgotten what my mission was by the time i got done checking facebook, getting a beverage, smoking a set of wings, washing the car all before it is done loading.

Sounds like a typical bioware issue. Long load times/elevator rides and so on. I am a bit sad that the story for the game is so lackluster.

Sounds like a typical bioware issue. Long load times/elevator rides and so on. I am a bit sad that the story for the game is so lackluster.

The actual story is pretty good....they've got a lot of room to grow. Hell of a lot better than the shit show that was the Destiny story thats for sure.

So played another few hours and they have one very glaring problem, when your in town talking to the quest givers most of the time all music stops. It is just awkward bioware characters talking to you with no background noise and an odd echo to their voice that seems like it was designed for some music to be playing. The awkwardness of Bioware's NPC's is toned down however, they are not quite the weird plastic manikins of the past.

My guess is that triggers somewhere are broken again, just like MEA.

They should eliminate story choices if they have no effect and are only essentially "tell me because I care" or "I dont care but tell me anyways". Just autoplay it so i can sit and watch. It is like a choose your own adventure but both choices always go to the same page.

Good writing in movies is the cheapest asset and bottom of priority pile. Games are getting more like that.

The awkwardness of Bioware's NPC's is toned down however, they are not quite the weird plastic manikins of the past.

Do you mean faces or movements? I had no complaints about Miranda. ;)

Attachments

• MassEffect2 2011-03-16 00-30-12-03.jpg
    MassEffect2 2011-03-16 00-30-12-03.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
Do you mean faces or movements? I had no complaints about Miranda. ;)

I mean how traditionally in Bioware games most NPC's all looks like 0_0 while talking to you, it was damn creepy, got worse as they added more animations because they still had that awkward mechanical nature to them.

Party NPC's where better, but not a huge amount.

Regarding the long loading times; does the game load everyone in at once or place you in as soon as it loads?

A few games I play require everyone to finish loading before we can play. This results in 1 potato pc ruining load times for everyone.

Regarding the long loading times; does the game load everyone in at once or place you in as soon as it loads?

A few games I play require everyone to finish loading before we can play. This results in 1 potato pc ruining load times for everyone.

Seems to let you in when you are done, when i had it on my hdd the group was gone when i got there. Now at least on ssd i get there about the same time on average.

Back